“Charming little surprise”

Price range: US$7 - US$23
Cuisines: Colombian, Latin, Spanish, Peruvian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are a Latin American Grill & Cafe housed in a restored 1924 historic house in downtown Fort Lauderdale, in Sailboat Bend. We are located just west of the Broward Center for Performing Arts. Our Food is Latin American with an emphasis on quality ingredients -- we strive to bring the best dishes of Latin America to your table in a casual and inviting atmosphere. The idea of restoring this historic, derelect house into a restaurant started with a projected completion time of 2 years and finally took 6 (SIX) years to complete. Our goal was to createa Neighborhood restaurant on the West side of the Las Olas area (in Historic Sailboat Bend) with a strong focus on quality food in a casual yet beautiful environment. Our Food menu showcases the best dishes of South America and Spain like Ceviches, Arroz Marinerro (Paella), and lighter fare like Empanadas, Fish Tacos, and Steak Sandiwches. Come experience the charm of this old home and join us for Lunch or Dinner Tuesday thru Saturday, or for Sunday Brunch. Or just come by and have some coffee (Lavazza is served), or sip some wine, a House Sangria, or a Pint of our Draft Beer.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Chimney House Grill & Cafe was a charming little surprise. I went there for lunch with three friends, one of whom had been there before and suggested it. So glad she did. We all tried different items from this "Latin American" inspired menu. My chicken salad ( poached chicken --like pulled pork style-- with golden raisins, pine nuts, Granny Smith apples and cilantro) was yummy. I chose to have it served on a bed of mixed greens and enjoyed it tremendously. My companions also enjoyed their selections: grilled vegetable chimichurri sandwich, "the Chimney House Cheeseburger" (Angus beef, white cheese, fried egg, carmelized onion), salad with seared Ahi Tuna. You get the picture--a delightful variety and there is much more on the menu. Three of us tried the freshly made Limonada: fresh limeade--another taste treat. I would recommend you try this little gem near downtown Fort Lauderdale.

1  Thank Kathy G

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The only reason we knew this restaurant existed is because they supported a charity event called the Spinathon, which I participate in. Not only does this restaurant owner care about his community, but he also serves up an excellent dining experience! This place was a very pleasant surprise, and its an excellent place to go with someone you love. I can imagine that a business lunch would also be a great way to impress, and talk business. We had the skirt steak and the chimichurri, both of which were cooked as ordered and very tasty. Portion size was great, not ridiculously huge like some of the chain restaurants. The wine/beer list isn't lengthy, nor are the dessert options, but the atmosphere and great food more than make up for that. I definitely recommend that you visit The Chimney House!

1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We went to pre theater diner here. It is just next to and within walking distance of Broward Performing Arts Center. Had a group of 4. The place is clean and very welcoming. The service fast a funny. I asked for a red recommendation and got a fantastic malbec at a good price. I would go back for that malbec alone. We started out with the empanadas. These both made us want to cry, they were so good. Do not miss them. I think the next time I go, I may make a meal of them. I then had the seafood moreno (sp). Think paella. It was good but not great. My wife had ceviche, I thought it was great, but wife did not. We all loved our desserts.

1  Thank David T
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We come here all the time and have never had a bad meal. The food is outstanding and the service is excellent. I love the fish and for breakfast the Mexican omlette is awesome. My husband loves the homemade limeade and the skirt steak.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We were looking for a reasonable restaurant to eat before the theatre. This was a wonderful surprise. The service was excellent and the food was extremely good. Outdoor seating was very pleasant. Latin cuisine was wonderful. We each had the Soltado -- one beef, the other chicken -- and we both enjoyed them. We would certainly return again.

1  Thank balloongirl