“Great Food and Entertainment”

Old Heidelberg Restaurant
Ranked #87 of 1,335 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Price range: US$10 - US$26
Cuisines: European, German, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Salisbury, North Carolina
“Great Food and Entertainment”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a great pre-cruise dinner. The entertainer was very talented - sang, played a keyboard andthe accordion. Good mixture of German tones and more modern music, Food was well prepared and tasty. And good German beer on tap. We had the stuffed pork loin complete with accompanying red cabbage and mashed potatoes. The dessert apple strudel with vanilla ice cream was excellent,. Definitely will be back next time we cruise from Fort Lauderdale.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank Gene K

“Real German Food”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

The best German restaurant in S Florida without question.

The dishes are authentic well prepared and delivered with friendly Bavarian hospitality.

Full bar German beer and wines and Octoberfest bands singing and fun. Aufviedersehen.

3 Thank Don L
“Old World Charm in the New World”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Very good atmosphere. The evening that we were there, they had an accordian player performing all the well known German folk melodies. The waitress we had was very friendly and helpful. She offered to take a group photo of us and we didn't need to ask. I would recommend ordering one of the daily specials. I ordered the Bavarian Schnitzel which was very good. However, one member of my party ordered the beef stroganoff. The meat wasn't very tender. The selection of German beers was good, and most of the desserts are made on the premises. I ordered Rote Gruetze, which I never saw in a North American restaurant (and I'm of German descent). Delicious.

3 Thank 213ralphd
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Bland”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have always heard good reviews of this place so I was excited to bring my husband here for his birthday. When we arrived, there were about 4 other tables, and a guy playing the accordion. I swear it felt like we were in a different country. Super tacky decor from the 70's. It reminds me of a place I had seen on Robert Irvine's Restaurant Impossible (a tv show on the Food Network). . Anyways, benefit of the doubt, the decor can be tacky but we were hoping the food was good. We were far from it. When our waitress came over to take our order, she offered us soup or salad with our entree. But then says, wait "we don't have salad, the kitchen put it away already" so our only option became soup: Potato or White Bean Soup. I ordered the potato soup, which turns out to be GREEN. I seriously, thought it was split pea soup, but our waitress insisted it was potato soup. Next we each ordered a meal (there were 4 of us). When those meals arrived 2 of 4 plates were COLD. So.....here ya go, have some COLD, DRY, BLAND meat with sauce and a dumpling...Skip this place!!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank brennifer0804
Florida
“Just short of excellent”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have no idea what went on with "Wayne C", but our experience was very good. In fact we might have had the same waiter. With us he was very good. Maybe Wayne didn't appreciate his sense of humor and/or let him know it. He even apologized when the main dish came before my wife finished her soup.

We were greeted with a smile and very nice hello as soon as we entered. The waiter took our drink order and was back in no time. I had a question about a menu item which was answered. My soup was very good, and my wife's salad was too,. The main course was more than she could eat and tasted very good. My pork dish with sauce was also very good. It came with a dumpling which I didn't much care for, but that is me. There was nothing wrong with the dumpling.

We were entertained the entire time by a singer with a great music machine.

We did have to ask for the check, but for us that was a good thing. One usually gets the check as soon as the meal is served with the standard, "No hurry" comment. Of course, that means eat your food and get out of here so I can get another table. There was no hurry at all. In fact the waiter recommended the apple strudel which we got. It is home made and great.

There is a German bar and restaurant that we visit often at home. It is run by a German lady who could take a lesson from this restaurant.

• Visited July 2014