“Close to Our House - But...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Jack's Bar-B-Q Smokehouse
Ranked #352 of 1,322 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Close to Our House - But...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We love BBQ. Having said that, we don't find that Jack's serves a memorable meal. It's basic BBQ, cooked outside on a smoker grill, but is really non-descript. The restaurant itself needs a make-over and a good cleaning inside and out. We want this place to be successful since it is in our neighborhood but can't really give it more than a C+ at this time.

Visited November 2013

Foxboro, Massachusetts
“Come for the brisket not the ribs.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Always on a journey to find good BBQ, and finally turned into Jack's to see what my friends were talking about. Pulled in to the smell of hardwood in the smokers outside, good sign. There is a drive thru if you are in a rush, ample parking and outdoor seating too. The ribs looked really good then you take a bite to ask where are the charcoal bags, because that's what the ribs tasted like. Disappointed! So on to the brisket sandwich, nice portion but one of the slices was just fat. The flavor was there even if sauce is a little sweet but this is the reason to come.

Visited December 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good Old Down Home Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Every morning I drive by and see them stoking up the smoker in the parking lot. Today we thought we would give it a try for lunch. Wow! It is very casual and simple and they don't try to overextend with a lengthy diverse menu. It is simple quality Southern barbecue and fixins. In response to a previous reviewer, I will admit the pork had a good bit of fat in it, which is how some barbecue joints like to fix it (not my preference). The beef, however, was amazing! The sauce is sweet and tangy and a perfect complement to the smoked meat without overpowering it. We had steak fries (very crisp and delicious) and coleslaw (simple, classic, nothing fancy) with our sandwiches. I am anxious to try the collards and the macaroni & cheese. Both looked really good. We look forward to going back. Maybe chicken next time.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Good BBQ good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

If you go for lunch get there early the parking lot and dining room fills up fast. Pulled pork and rib tips are good. Mac n' Cheese the kids love, their collard greens are very good (not the sweet kind either). We've even bought 2 of the family packs in the past for a house party we had and guests loved it. One guest liked Jack's so much I ran into him next week at their ordering takeout for his family.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Gordo319
North Miami
“Questionable Quality”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

This joint was recommended by a locksmith store nearby. I was new to the area and like asking neighborhood businesses where reasonable good places to eat. As you drive by this placed you'll see a smoker right on the parking lot. A week had passed and drove by this place early in the morning and the smoker seemed it was always churning. I decided to finally try it and was a little weary how the place looked so run down. I'm assuming that this joint has been here for a long time by the look of the decor and historic pics. I ordered the pulled pork sandwich and came with 2 sides (fries and coleslaw). The meal including the drink were all served on foam cup and plate. I dig it...no frills...just good food. I've been to joints like these in Little Havana and The Keys. To this day, I'm still a little puzzled about the quality. The bill was dirt cheap but you get a lot. The pulled pork was delicious but the fries looked pale but crispy. The slaw was actually the best part of my meal. I think my taste buds were playing with me...lol. Or I just came in the wrong time? (It was around 2:30-3 so just probably caught them after the lunch rush) Next time, i'll order pickup cause I noticed the drive through window cause when I sat in the dining area, my clothes smelled like smoke barbecue and my friends knew exactly where I went for lunch :) For the money, the pulled pork meal was worth it but will have to try it with mac & cheese.

• Visited April 2013