“Excellent Low Key Motel”

The Merriweather Resort
Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent Low Key Motel”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed here a few times in the 70's and when I returned to Ft Lauderdale 3 years ago while staying at the Ritz, I saw the Merriweather next door. Surprised that it was still there, I knew I would check it out at some point. Well, we stayed here for a night this trip before we spent the weekend at the Ritz for the weekend…. IT WAS FABULOUS! It has the old school charm that is lost now days in the midst of the big hotels.
Check in was a breeze. The owner and staff are all awesome…really really nice. We stayed in a one bedroom suite #101 with view of the ocean. We did not bring our pet but this motel is SUPER pet friendly. The entire unit and grounds were pristine clean in spite of the rooms being around for a LONG time. The kitchen was stocked with better supplies and items than our Residence Suite at the Ritz!! For real! The pans, coffee maker, glasses and utensils are all brand new and everything worked perfectly. There is everything you would need to stay for a long time! The towels were great and the bathroom was spotless. There was a pull out sofa in the living room for our daughter. The sheets were definitely not the Ritz but very soft and spotlessly clean. Pillows were so so and could be better. We had 2 small flatscreen T.V.'s in our unit. There was nothing fancy about this place but the old school charm and excellent location is what it is all about. It had a small but very clean pool with lots of toys for kids and it had a huge patio right outside our door (which seemed to be private) with umbrella tables and a grill. The original shuffle boards were still there with the sticks. It sits on a great location on Ft. Lauderdale beach. The only complaint I had about the room was our keys did not work well. We were there such a short time I did not complain and they had warned us of this. The decor is very old school right out of the 70's beach decor but that is part of the beach charm. The one bedroom suite was 150.00 a night…How can you beat that? We will definitely be back for a longer visit. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank bobolito

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Merriweather for a week for the first time at the end of May. The furnishings in the rooms are slightly dated, but the entire resort, including the rooms, is spotless. The resort allows dogs, which is why we chose the Merriweather. We brought our small dog with us and it worked out great. The resort charged $25 for the dog for the week, which is very reasonable. Since we had a dog with us, we were required to have our room cleaned three times during the week. This was not a problem as the cleaning staff were very friendly and accommodating. There was not charge for the cleaning. The front desk staff was friendly, although there were times when we needed to speak with someone, and no one was in the office. We had a problem with one of the showers not draining, and a maintenance person was sent right away to take care of it. The rooms are quite spacious, and our one bedroom even had two bathrooms.

The only problem we had during the week was with the internet. There is "free" internet included, but it was very sporadic and temperamental. The office staff couldn't really help me other than to tell me that the internet was working for her. She advised me to come into the office to see if my internet would work right next to the router. My iPad found the signal, but my lap top didn't. Throughout the rest of the week, the internet would work off and on, which was frustrating. My guess is that the resort is using an old router, and they need to upgrade. Routers aren't that expensive, and a new router would probably make a big difference.

The pool at the resort was very clean, and there were plenty of chairs for everyone who wanted to use the pool. It was nice to be right across the street from the beach, and the office had extra chairs and umbrellas for guests to use.

Overall, we had a great experience at the Merriweather, and will definitely come back.

Room Tip: We had room 104 on the ground floor not too far away from the pool, and we loved this location.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DSullivan1964
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The resort is not new but has been well kept and updated. The employees have been there for many years, so each stay is like going to visit old friends.
The facility is pet friendly and has a very casual atmosphere. There are complimentary beach chairs in the office as well as towels for use at the beach.
Mary Jo, Missy and several others work the front desk. There are always a resident cat or dog in the office to welcome guests.
Clean, comfortable and very a very relaxing atmosphere.

Room Tip: The front rooms have a better ocean view. There is no fitness center or room service but I was unab...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Peggy M
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The resort is right across the street from the beach. The pool area is always clean and the perfect place to tan. The rooms are big and have a real feel of home to then. They're quiet and cool at night. The best feature are the people who work there. Mary Jo and Missy can always recommend a place for you to visit. There are always pets hanging out with them who are just as friendly as they are. Barbara, Joyce and the other ladies always make sure your room is clean and comfortable. We look forward to seeing them all again while we soak up the sun and fun in Ft. Lauderdale!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank rhondamgre
Edgewater, Md
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Back to the Merriweather for 6 wonderful days. Perfect weather Perfect stay, don't miss out on the best spot on the beach. Thanks to Missy and the entire staff for a always to remember Birthday Trip . I hope and plan to return very very soon and would not think of staying anywhere else . The best kept older hotel on the A1A, neat, clean and always well maintained and safe. The pool and grounds are beautiful and they are pet friendly for those in need. Don't past by this Gem of Fort Lauderdale a great family place to stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LovesLauderdale
fortlaud1212, Manager at The Merriweather Resort, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thanks! I'm so happy you had a great birthday here! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2014

the merriweather is a 1950s low rise property with easy access to the beach and restaurants, etc. I can be on the beach before guests at neighboring properties can even leave their building. I have freinds in the area....and its nice they can come visit without the cold experiences of elevators, hallways, etc. when they knock on my door....they see and hear the ocean....not the hustle and bustle of a hall full of maids carts. I've been coming here for over 10 years, and mary jo, missy, joyce, are all helpful and nice. Often i have to make many inquiries about dates, etc as I work on air travel etc....I'm sure its no fun to juggle reservations and things for a guest 6 times before finally booking...but mary jo and missy are allways nice and understanding. the sleep sofas recently had upgraded mattresses put in...so if you have a guest who is staying with you, its better than most sleep sofas. while some like to dine out for a week while on vacation...I like to cook a little and often eat in. since i work a lot when home...i don't have time to cook much...on vacation...I can barbecue or whatever since there are grills and a full kitchen here. I don't live my life at home in one room...and I don't have to here either. the beach is great for some sun...but also great for an evening or morning walk. and while it has nothing to do with the resort....I've met some great people from all over the country here. people often sit out on the veranda to have a drink or read, enjoying the view and sound of the ocean. next door is a fancy 30 story ritz carlton....they also recognize the beach here is incredible...but I'll allways choose here...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Thanks for always choosing us! Your review is a great example of the Merriweather and we appreciate you taking the time to write it. See you next time!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 February 2014

After staying at the Hilton, Marriott, and Westin, it was time to return to traditional Floridian accommodations. We rented the penthouse, a 2 bedroom and 2 bath unit on the third floor from 12/30 - 1/7/14. It was perfect, great view, full kitchen, washer/dryer and deck. Why pay the prices of the big hotels on the beach when one can enjoy a small quaint resort such as the Merriweather. Don't get me wrong, it does not have the lavish furnishings of the big resorts but it has everything you need to enjoy a stay in Ft. Lauderdale. Seeing pets on the property gives it a home touch if you like animals. Such a great place to stay will be returning in a week for a five day stay. Emnma the cat made herself comfortable in our unit for an evening. She was a great guest.

Room Tip: The penthouse is the best.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tony2216
Awwwwww thanks for giving our Emma some TLC, she's been with us for over 10 years now. We're so happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return. Thanks again.