“Huge rooms, great location, attentive staff, it's the whole package!”

The Grand Resort and Spa
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I can't say enough good things about The Grand. The staff is the best. This is one of very few resorts with 24 staff so you know you will always have someone on property. The staff is welcoming and so helpful. The rooms are huge, very clean and full of amenities. The location is the best if you love the beach or, just feel free to hang out by the pool or soak in the hot tub. They have a free continental breakfast, a full gym, a business center, and best of all, they have one of the best spas in Fort Lauderdale. If you're planning a trip to Fort Lauderdale, you have to stay at The Grand!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 September 2010

The Grand Resort was great! I wanted an easy getaway for the long weekend so I booked the 5 night get pampered package with spa services. I upgraded to a one bedroom suite by the courtyard.

The room had a separate living ro0om, dining room off the kitchen, and bedroom. The kitchen had anything I could have needed. There were TV's in the living room and bedroom. Wi-Fi was free and very high bandwidth, which is unusual for hotels (plus a computer in the club room which I never used since I had my phone and computer). The Grand advertises reasonably priced snacks in the room, which is true (less than any hotel sundries shop or some of the local beach front shops charged, and I looked). They actually stocked the kitchen fairly well so I could have a beer, soda or snack anytime I wanted. They gave me a bottle of champagne as a welcome when I first got to my room. There were continental breakfast and happy hours every day. They were very simple but nicely presented and more than adequate. There was lemonade and ice tea by the pool most of the time, in addition to coffee and tea in the club room. There was a small but very clean, well appointed gym too, but I didn’t use that. There is guest laundry room so don’t over pack, just do a load while sitting by the pool.

They have a pool area by the office, which is not clothing optional. There is a separate courtyard by the spa which is clothing optional. The Jacuzzi was huge and well maintained. The whole property was neat and clean. There were always fresh pool towels. They let you take the towels to the beach, plus they kept a few folding chairs and such for guests to borrow. They even loaned out umbrellas for when it rained. The courtyard was very tropical and a nice place to hang out in addition to the pool. There was even a garden area between buildings if you wanted a more isolated place to sit and contemplate

I have never used spa services before, so when I had questions their front desk couldn’t answer, their spa manager, JD, came to my room to help me out personally. My massage therapist for the trip was Juan. He was great, and every single service I came away thoroughly satisfied. I think he always did more that the service required, and took care of me when I got a sun burn too! I did a spa service every day.

There was always someone in the front office, even late at night. Their staff was always up for a friendly conversation or directions around the area. The guests were all friendly, and it never felt crowded although I know the Grand was fully booked.

I didn’t bring a car, which was fine for a relaxed trip. There were restaurants and beach bars three blocks from Grand. The beach was a very comfortable two blocks away. A street led directly from the Grand’s front door right to the beach. The “tourist” area with lots of bars, restaurants, and shops was a comfortable half mile or so away. I walked there twice and took the water taxi once so it is accessible by foot just walking along the beach. If you want to do clubs or night activities, you definitely need a car though. You also need a car if you want to go somewhere to stock up the kitchen yourself. There were also taxis everywhere since there are lots of hotels along the beach.

Not only did I enjoy my stay, but my guests wanted to see the property when they visited me, and it was always a “wow” from each of them.

When I checked out, I got a pleasant final surprise. There really were none of those extra charges you get with regular hotels. This really was all inclusive except for tips and extra spa services, or food I took from the fridge or snack basket. They never up sold me on anything, rather the opposite, always providing more than expected. This helped make it a much more affordable trip than I expected. I think the spa services might have been much more expensive if I had booked them separately, so the 5 night package was an exceptional deal. It would have been even less expensive if I hadn’t wanted to be there on a holiday weekend.

I would definitely go again and recommend the Grand to my friends.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank PennJATL
Reviewed 1 September 2010

My boyfriend and I escaped from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale for an extended weekend from Saturday to Tuesday and stayed at The Grand. From the moment we got there, we realized that we were in the right place. Herb (very personable and friendly, a great asset to this hotel or any hotel for that matter) at the front desk, greeted us and showed us to our room, a one-bedroom suite. It was a good-size and nicely appointed. Since it's off-season, there weren't many guests, but just enough to socialize at the pool and jacuzzi, without feeling like we were at an overbearing gigantic hotel chain like the Hilton or W. As a matter of fact, at times it felt like we had the place to ourselves (once again, being off-season) Had a nice Saturday afternoon happy hour with the other hotel guests. When we needed some dining recommendations, the front desk staff always had great suggestions. The Grand has a nice, clean swimming pool and rather large jacuzzi in the rear courtyard. It's a few blocks from the beach, so it's an easy walk to and from, and they supply a blue tote for you to take their beach towels to the beach. There's a continental breakfast daily, but we went to eat at local restaurants. There's also a small fitness room that has a selection of dumbells, a multipurpose weight machine and some cardio equipment, so if you want to get that pump before you go out, or head to the beach, it's there for you! We had a friend from St. Pete drive down to spend some time with us, and he was impressed by the hotel, and he works in the hotel industry. Upon our departure, we asked to see one of the regular hotel rooms, and they were quite spacious, and just as nice as our one-bedroom. When we head to Ft. Lauderdale again, we'll definitely stay at The Grand again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank B G
Reviewed 18 August 2010

For a recent vacation to Fort Lauderdale, I was looking for a place to stay that would be relaxing, private and provide a spa/resort atmosphere to allow me to pamper myself, something this practical guy doesn’t do often enough. After Internet research and discussions with friends, the Grand Resort and Spa came up several times with positive reviews. It has been rated as one of the best gay-owned and operated spas in the U.S.

The Grand did not disappoint. The resort is very private with hotel key entrances needed to get in and fence/wall around the perimeter. Uber friendly staff is there to help with whatever you need. They were all so accommodating.

I sprung for the five day pampering package with the pool view room. The package prices were beyond reasonable for all of what you get at the Grand.

The room was large and well-maintained with great tile flooring, a huge king bed and a big walk in closet. Even the room mini-bar was quite reasonably priced.

The grounds of the Grand are lush with plants and palm trees. The spa is in the back area of the resort, where the Jacuzzi and fountain courtyard are located. The Jacuzzi was always a great place to relax before an evening out or turning in for bed.

The staff at the Grand Spa was incredibly professional and very skilled at their craft. Props to Wesley who was the best of the staff members I worked with.

My visit was during the “off” season, so it was a very quiet atmosphere with 20 – 30 guests staying while I was there. The pool, of course, was normally the center of social activity. It was well maintained with pool side happy hours with drinks and food on most days of the week. The only real draw back was not having pool side bar service, but I understood the limitations given the privately owned operation of the resort. Your room has a refrigerator so you can have your own cold beverages as needed.

The Grand is about two blocks from the beach. I spent my time there next to the resort’s pool soaking up rays. The resort’s location is pretty convenient (though not necessarily walking distance) to dining options, and nightlight is about 3 – 5 miles away.

This was my first experience at a gay-owned resort, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for this type of spa/resort experience in Fort Lauderdale. The staff obviously takes great pride in providing a pleasurable experience for their guests.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2010

Great place, accomodations and more! A complete great experience! Helpful staff, comfortable place, completely recommended!

2  Thank Justu93
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I just returned from my fourth trip to The Grand Resort. I love going for a long weekend. The staff is wonderful and really make you feel welcome as soon as you arrive. The location is great; just two or blocks from the beach. A 5-10 minute walk to Sabastian Beach. Even if you don't have a car, there are plenty of places around the resort to grab a drink or a meal (the Hilton, W, and Atlantic hotel are very close).
The spa services are wonderful. The grounds are really well kept. The evening happy hour is simple but a nice addition. Some may complain about the lack of breakfast services, but it's free!
I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank HobokenSoloTraveler
Reviewed 28 April 2010

My partner and I just finished our first stay with the Grand Resort and Spa. We had only stayed at one other gay resort in the area but found that The Grand pays special attention to the details that make the resort a great place to vacation. The room was very clean and modern and the staff was very accomodating. The price was better than the last resort we used and had way nicer ammenities. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple