Cheston House Gay Resort
US$268
US$165
US$142
  • Pool
Riverside Hotel(Fort Lauderdale)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$144
Riverside Hotel
  • Pool
Pier Sixty-Six Hotel & Marina(Fort Lauderdale)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$110
Official Site
US$111
US$167
  • Beachfront
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach(Fort Lauderdale)(Great Value!)
US$217
US$228
  • Beachfront
US$219
Hotels.com
All reviewshot tubother guestswilton manorspool arealast minute tripeach morningsized bedfree internetcontinental breakfastcoffee makerlauderdale beachpropertyftratesirmaprivacymicrowave
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I stayed here for one week during November and whilst the resort attracts an older clientele it is equally suited to younger visitors as well. There is a poolside friendliness without being overbearing or affecting privacy if that's what you prefer.
Rooms are clean and service is impecable; nothing is too much trouble for the staff.
Located a short two minute stroll from pristine beaches and bars and a cheap bus ride or $15 cab ride from the great gay hub of Wilton Manors.
Definitely recommend Cheaton House to all gay travellers and I will be staying here again myself.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Kilofox40
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I was searching for a last minute booking for a friend arriving the next day and saw on their website that they had a room available for the dates I needed. Since i live in Ft Lauderdale I drove to the inn and pressed the buzzer., It was answered with "Are you a guest", I responded no, and asked if the office was open. No reply, As I was preparing to leave the gate opened and a was greeted with "what do you want?" I introduced myself and stuck out my hand but he just stood there with a frown, I explained I had seen that they might have a room available and wanted to check about reserving it for the next two nights. I was told in no uncertain terms that there was a four night minimum. I suggested that since I wanted to book the room for the next two days that it seemed strange that since it had not been booked they might consider relaxing the requirement rather than let the room go vacant. There was no discussing the matter and I was abruptly dismissed. Not sure if this individual was the manager or owner or just an employee but if he is an example of their customer service they perhaps need to provide training in basic customer service skills. Needless to say this will be my first and last attempt to book a room at the Cheston House.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Samftla
Reviewed 26 November 2012

So I guess it all depends on what you're searching for. It's a quiet location - maybe too quiet during our visit. The pool is heated however the foliage shaded the pool most of the day but because it's such a quick walk to the beach, we chose to head to the beach.

Didn't use any of the other amenities or services at the guesthouse but everything seemed ok. They had breakfast each morning but we didn't bother so I can't give an opinion on that.

Parking - easy, free street parking directly in front of the building which was nice (considering most of the larger hotels in the area have valet parking only).
The Room - definitely recommend spending extra for the 1 bedroom apartment. Though a bit dated, it was extremely spacious, quiet and clean. Dining area, kitchen, living room, bath & bedroom with full closet. The bed and bedding were extremely comfortable. I didn't see the other rooms however based on the response from friends we met there, their room was much smaller. We were pleased the guesthouse upgraded us.

They offer beach chairs to easily carry to the beach (which is only 2 blocks away) so that saved us $30/day from renting chairs at the beach each day.

Because it was a holiday weekend, they required a 4 night minimum. Not sure I would stay 4 nights at the guesthouse but a couple of nights it wasn't bad. If you're looking for entertainment and guest interaction, you may want to consider a different Fort Lauderdale guesthouse. If you're in town to relax, this is a good option.

Easy check in/checkout so no complaints.

Room Tip: Certainly recommend a 1 bedroom apartment.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tray T
Reviewed 10 October 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Cheston House for a romantic weekend in early October. (We needed to get away from the impending fall season in DC!) This was my second visit to Cheston House and his first.

In summary: We loved it. In fact, I loved it better than the first time I went last year. Chuck and Earl are the wonderful staff that truly are sweethearts. They make everyone feel at home and make the stay so warm and personal. You'll get to know some of the others during your stay because of the communal areas, and that is one of the best perks of staying at Cheston House versus some large corporate hotel. Plus, Chuck and Earl serve a great continental breakfast, make the rooms and the property all pretty and clean, and offer plenty of advice on local happenings. I wouldn't change a thing about Cheston House -- other than the fact that it's far away from us in Washington DC.

As far as price, the rooms are very reasonable and they even have buy 2 nights get 1 free deals. the property is immaculately maintained and Earl is always seen pruning bushes, watering plants, and hosing down sidewalks. "Take a break, Earl and come sit by the lovely pool with us!" I wanted to say. :)

In short, I look forward to my next trip to Ft Lauderdale but I wouldn't dare stay anywhere other than Cheston House.

WE LOVE CHESTON HOUSE!

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the pool. I would imagine that the rooms on the second floor have a better view of the pool, but I have only stayed on the first floor during my two stays there.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David H
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I was there this past weekend with T.S Isaac closing in.
I was not sure what to expect. Apart from being charmingly retro, the room was very clean and the staff were extremely friendly.
The know the definition of anticipation when it comes to guest service. Much to my surprise after spending the day about town, upon my return I found a flashlight on my night stand for "in case". Yes I did laugh outloud but at least they let me know in their special way that they are there and available for anything I may need.

Room Tip: All the rooms faced the courtyard. I liked being on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo