“A room with an "A" refers to Awful” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte , NC
“A room with an "A" refers to Awful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

Decided to use the long weekend to get out of the cold and as a frequent Hilton traveler thought I'd use my Honors points at the Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort. I previously read another review that said if you see an "A" preceeding the room number beware. This couldn't have been truer. I think all honors guests get the "A" rooms, because anyone else would complain. As stated its the additional bedroom of a 2 room condo. The room was small, carpet stained, walls marked up and of couse a great view of an empty dirt lot. It took me 5 hours to get a shower curtain for the tub (no separate shower) . They told me the room had a glass door and didn't need a curtain. The elevators move at a snails pace. TYhe breakfasrt buffet at $29 was a little pricey, and not that great. The pool was nice and staff friendly but this location is 3 star at best. Hilton Honors folks use your points elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Wilksc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,138)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

First the good stuff:
We got a huge, modern Oceanfront suite for less than half the price of a regular room at any of the beach front Ritz Carlton properties in southeast Florida.
Two bathrooms (one with ocean views), two nice sized plasma TVs with actual high def channels, about 50 feet of wrap around balcony (28 front, 22 side), wonderful robes, a complete kitchen, excellent service from most of the staff that we encountered - particularly good were the concierge, food service staff, pool staff and spa staff.
The couples massage my wife and I enjoyed was heavenly, although it should be noted that if the weather isn't fit to do this massage outdoors, you will be in separate rooms.
They even removed the down pillows as requested in my reservation without having to ask again when I arrived ,which is a rarity even at more expensive hotels.
The food quality in the Ilois restaurant and room service was excellent. I felt the prices were about what one would expect from a good beach front resort.

The lows:
The drink prices in the Ilois bar were a bit high, with most mixed drinks $10-15. The valet staff occasionally seemed overwhelmed when it was busy. I know it can get hectic at times like when a wedding arrived, but the staff should always appear to be in full control in these situations, even if they aren't!

Other notes:
The price of the valet parking at $30 per night is a bit high, although pretty much in line with other beach front properties of similar caliber.
You could save some money on drinks by buying your own off the property, since most all of the rooms have at least a kitchenette including a refrigerator, although if we would have done that we wouldn't have heard about the excellent Canyon restaurant from another bar patron (see separate review).
This is not a nightlife hotel, although there wouldn't be anything from stopping you from staying here for less money and going to the "W" next door to party at night.
You do have to cross the street to get to the beach, but this was not really a problem for us. I could see it would be more of a concern if you had small children crossing with you.
Get the Crepes from the cafe on the first floor, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Stockholm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2010

I think Im falling in love with Hilton. Not Paris but the Hotel. Havent stayed at too many but the Hilton in Sharm El Sheikh and Fort Lauderdale are both good memories in my view. Hilton Fort Lauderdale has a nice lobby with smooth check in. Rooms are comfortable and some have ocean front view (try to get that!). The pool area is great and dont believe negative reviews on that topic on this site. In fact I liked the hotel more than we liked the town. The river taxi was fun with all the billionair's houses (castles?) at the ocean fronts and the beach is lengthy. But the rest? Not much in my view. But Hilton is the place to be if you decide to go there!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2010

free drink after 5 pm was awsome i would tell other people about this

Stayed May 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2010

To: Andreas A. Ioannou, General Manager

I wanted to take a moment to commend your team for such a pleasant stay this past week. Our stay was over (7) nights beginning on Jan 3rd. Although I do not travel much for business, I do like to stay and premium properties on our 3-4 family vacations each year. I must say that while this was our first time staying at your resort, my experience truly exceeded my expectations.

I found your staff to be very kind at each point of contact throughout the resort and in a way that was very consistent, regardless of who or where. I have not stayed at a Hilton property in some time, and for some reason just did not expect the level of service and kindness that I experienced from your staff this past week. I was really impressed with your group and I suggested to my wife that it was Ritz Carlton like, but a little less stuffy....which for me, was perfect!

I would also like to point out one employee, Carlos the bell-man. We had many interactions with Carlos at check-in, check-out and often times he would strike-up conversations with us as we were coming and going in the elevators and hallways; what a pleasant and kind man he is, and he always made us chuckle with his conversation...a really good guy!

We so enjoyed our stay and will certainly keep you in mind for our future stays in Fort Lauderdale.

Regards,

Jim

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fsusports
Hendersonville, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

Had a long girls weekend with my college age daughter and sister during the cool spell that reached southern FL. We were able to sleep in late however they are lacking in insulation as we heard many hall and neighboring noises especially babies crying. The 6th floor restaurant needs some help. Very small and since it is a vacation resort-most guests come the last hour opened. Had to wait some mornings for 30 minutes. This is ridiculous. As Hilton Honors Diamond, did not receive room upgrade even after requested but did receive complimentary continental breakfast-valued at $17.00 that is a joke. Mainly cereal and fruit. You can upgrade for $4.00 and receive eggs, meat, bread and toast. We were quoted that the breakfast buffet was $28.00 or $11.00 upcharge with the coupons. The food was not worth that price especially with the wait. We did the 4.00 eggs, bacon, toast route and held a table for 20 minutes while preparing. Seems like they would realize if they lowered that buffet price, more would choose that and the wait would decrease and customers would be happy.
The room was a small studio but nice. Was prepared to bring cash for the many tips. Upon arrival, we asked for kitchen utensils and just received plates and silverware even though we had a stove. We did not have a washer/dryer that is found in some rooms and there was not one available-only thru their service which is overpriced. Called twice to repair the stopper in the sink and the toilet paper holder was broken. Neither were fixed the 4 days we were there.
The staff overall was helpful and nice but I could tell they were wanting tips. Valet was efficent and helpful. I could not fiqure out housekeeping. Once I had to call to get them to come after it was 4:00 and did not have cleaning and once they were in and out while at breakfast. One day they were in the room over an hour while we were cold by the pool.
The toiletries were upgraded products and we always had enough.
Did not bring computer and went to business center to use computer to check my email but found out that you need to purchase minutes. I have stayed at Hiltons before and never had pay in the center to utlize the computer. Printing yes but not computer use.
Overall good resort that I would really rate 3.5 but went ahead and rounded up to 4. Many young kids and babies were in attendance. Did not see any activity areas for children not even a game arcade area. Beach area nice but too cold to visit plus they need an overhead crosswalk as the road is very busy. Nice padded lounge chairs by the beautiful relaxing pool.

• Stayed January 2010
Chicago,IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

My husband and I usually stay at a Westin when we go on trips, but opted to save some money this time. We got a great room (studio), ocean view for less than half then what we would've paid for at a Westin! I was amazed with the entire hotel.. we got treated like royalty by the staff. The valet was pricey, but that's expected at most 4 star+ hotels. The restaurant was nice, with a great breakfast buffet. The only downfall that I could find at this hotel was that there was no adult pool and too many children in the only pool that they have. Otherwise I loved it and we made many friends at the Hilton!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple