“Great Service and Location”
Review of Sea Beach Plaza

Sea Beach Plaza
Ranked #100 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Service and Location”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I recently stayed at the Sea Beach Plaza and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. When I arrived I was greeted by a very friendly staff that tried to accommodate me in any way possible. Although it is somewhat of an older motel I was satisfied with my room for the price. One of my favorite things about my stay here was that the beach was so close. All I had to do was cross the main road and I was looking out into the ocean. It was also nice to only have to walk about ten or fifteen minutes from the motel to find shops and restaurants of all sorts. I recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Rachel D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Came to Florida with my girl. Didn't know where to stay but wanted to be near the beach. My girlfriend wanted to stay at the Sheraton but the price was to high. The Sea Beach is across the street and was a great pick. The location is amazing, right across from the beach and boardwalk. The manager came to greet us and gave us a great deal which convinced us to stay a few more nights. We met some cool guests and sat around and drank by the pool. The maids don't speak English but are very good. Overall the location and service was great and made up for the age of the building. I wouldn't except anything different for $89 at a beach hotel.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank California-maxx
New York
Reviewed 26 January 2012

My second time staying here. I stayed in room 306, and paid $89. It is across from the beach and the room was clean. Sure, it's an older building but the younger owner does a great job keeping the guests happy. He was available for his guests at anytime. If your looking for a place to rest your head and enjoy Fort. Lauderdale this hotel is not a bad choice. I personally had great service both times. If you have any problems, make sure to ask for the young man who owns the property.

• Stayed January 2012
Atl
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We needed just one night stay after returning from cruise this fit the bill for 80 bucks, nothing fancy, seemed clean to me and was very comfortable for our needs.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 17 December 2011

On day one, I checked in late ... went up to my room on 3rd floor .... it's in the corner, no natural light, 2 other rooms are adjacent, their doors open up to the window. Yuck. That's probably why the vertical blinds are drawn shut, minus quite a few vertical pleats. Wow. Not liking it so far. Anyway, there's a coffee maker, it's obviously non-functional, broken. Microwave. Fridge ... it's actually warm inside so I guess the milk I purchased can be thrown out. Checked out the wi-fi in the room ... it's sporadic. Later, it just drops off. No wi-fi.
In the morning, I complained about the wi-fi and the fridge. Was told that the wi-fi is best in certain rooms, so they move me to a room more exposed to the courtyard. Guess what. The wi-fi still doesn't work. The fridge door doesn't want to close, it's warm inside it. There's a couch in the room which I don't think I want to let touch my skin, it might have been found on the street or something, 'bugs' comes to mind. Oh, the best part, the room door won't shut. You have to slam it shut and 'wiggle' the key to get it to lock, as per the owner. I said to her, no, I won't 'wiggle' the lock, and besides, why should I slam the door shut and wake up everybody, please get it fixed.
So, I move into the 3rd room she offers, right beside the room where the door won't shut or lock. Hmmmm, going to get an earful when somebody moves into that room.
Anyway, the new room has microwave, fridge (it works). The AC has a lot of light around it, and I notice that people have shoved toilet paper and tin foil around the gaps, but there's a huge gap, so I plug it with the wrap off the toilet paper roll.
I woke up the next morning with some weird bites on my arms and around my knees, not sure if it's because of the bugs or if I got them walking about elsewhere. Who knows.
Wi-fi does not work at all. It seems to go off around 4pm when the night shift comes on, but not sure.
One day whilst lounging around the pool, I overheard the owner's son entertaining some people asking questions about the lot, the roof, parking, this/that, and the son would either answer the questions, but mostly just say you best ask my father .... sounds like they're selling the joint, or attempting to.
Overall, I'll sum it up like this ... good location, close to the beach. Really run down. So many excuses (oh, my son will get the new router for the wi-fi tonight .... that was on day two, and it's still not working 1 week later ...), oh, just wiggle the lock or the key (sorry, why should anyone have to wiggle anything to enter the room they've paid for), the rooms all have vertical blinds which have fallen apart, and according to the owner, oh, look what they do, they destroy the blinds .... ya, so what .... just put up drapes or something. NOTE: you CANNOT open your blinds, because if you do, they will fall apart. Also, the walkway to each room .... your room is exposed to all the weirdos who want to stand outside your window and smoke or drink or whatnot ... so unless you love having your blinds closed non-stop, this is not a good living arrangement.
If you book this hotel via online hotel agencies, complain that they should not be allowed to list this place. It's substandard. Actually, probably violating a lot of local bylaws.

Room Tip: The owner only appears after 11am, where she will try to move you about various rooms and give you r...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

li ny
Reviewed 16 December 2011

every one was very friendly, that is if you could find them. the room was clean, just falling apart. this place really needs some work. everything worked...sort of. the microwave timer was busted, the shower curtain rod sagged so the curtain stayed in a bunch in the middle. a bare bulb over the sideways mirror over the sink. the airconditioner was insulated with stained toilet paper, but you could still see the trees outside, and the wire for it stretched over the sink made a good towel rack. the only towel rack i might add.
it was no big deal to me, i like camping, but i'd think twice before i booked with a particular traveling companion.
it is close to the beach, very close, and the bed was comfortable, and i didn't see one roach and that's a marvel in itself for florida.
oh, and it's noisy. i guess that goes with the price. not hooker traffic, just people trying to close their doors (you have to slam them) all nite long.

Room Tip: book somewhere else till they remodle
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank broy87
United States
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Traveled with family (kids and mother) and needed a place to stay in Fort Lauderdale for night due a change in plans. On a budget and got booked here by hotels.com due to walking distance of the beach. What an awful mistake!

Where do I start?

1. No hot water. You need to take a chilly shower with the hot water turned all the way up. Forget taking a shower unless you can make it REALLY fast 'cause that water never gets warm. Could't give the kids a bath or shower.
2. Gap between air conditioner and wall was sealed with styrafoam. Problem was that a piece was missing and there was literally a hole in the wall for insects to come through. We plugged it up with one of the threadbare towels (after removing a piece of long black hair left behind by another guest). See picture of dead bug on bathroom floor....guess it came in through that hole in the wall!
3. Filthy, dirty bathtub grout and windowsills. Guess that's an indication of how well they keep the rooms and pool clean!
4. Rooms had patchwork all over the walls like they were ready to be painted. They were doint some work in the hotel and left stuff in the hallway that we had to step over. Unbelievable!
5. Clock and toaster in one room didn't work. If it's broke, get it outta there.
6. Weird moldy looking patch up on the ceiling.
7, Cheap blinds literally fell apart when you open them.

Ok...we made a mistake. The room with no hot water, dead bugs, dirt and a hole in the wall. Not a place fit for kids or a senior citizen. So we politely asked for our money back right after checkin. Can you guess the answer? The owner said no. Wonderful customer service....just great, thanks. Obviously, they don't care about anything other than getting your money. Tough luck that you can't take a bath or there is a hole in the wall. Not a place fit for kids or a senior citizen.

AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS! My kids we terrified of this place and are still talking about it. Look around for another hotel and we saw plenty of other choices in the area.

Room Tip: To get a good room, find another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family