“the best Thai flavors in town - wonderful service, a true hidden gem.”
Review of 84 Thai Food

84 Thai Food
Ranked #237 of 1,345 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Tucked away near the Subway and Bicycle shop in the strip mall, you could easily overlook this little wonderland. I know I did when I first moved into the area many years back, and it was only when friends recommended it that I (and my new husband) tried it, and we never looked back. Yes we have tried other Thai restaurants all over Fort Lauderdale but always come back here because of the wonderful food, well developed spices, aromas and all round flavors, not to mention good service.

Unfortunately a year or so ago, my doctor told me I had super high cholesterol, and because I didn't want to take medication, I placed myself on a strict vegan diet. It worked wonders, my cholesterol and blood pressure started dropping, and I was very happy with the results. I was very sad that I had to exclude Thai 84/84 Thai but while I was getting healthy, I just had to stay away. So did my husband, because it would have been too tempting, watching him eat while I couldn't. Thank you darling husband.

Anyway, all this time later, my cholesterol is down and I can start branching out again a little, while not being crazy. The first stop on my list was 84 Thai - I couldn't WAIT to have another Pad Thai (although I did forego the Thom Ka Gai, which was my all-time favorite soup and something I just HAD to have from there, but at this point, with the coconut milk etc., just something I can't eat again just yet) My husband couldn't wait to have a Penang Chicken (medium with extra sauce) - when I called the restaurant to order take away, to my absolute astonishment, the manager remembered my name AND my husband's name AND not only that - commented that he was glad we were back after such a long absence, and asked if we'd like the usual (he REMEMBERED!!! Pad Thai and Penang Chicken Curry, medium with extra sauce. You could have knocked me over with a feather. HE REMEMBERED! AFTER ALL THIS TIME!)

Know the saying " people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."? Well let me tell you, he made me feel like a million dollars, just remembering all these things about one of his many customers from so long ago. Kudos to you.

We had ordered the food as takeout, and let me tell you, the portion sizes were very generous, and the food was absolutely outstanding - it was so good, I had to call him to tell him that it was even better than I remembered. Because it was. The curry was spicy but full of flavor, giving that little bit of heat that gets you in the back of your throat in a good way, and my pad thai was wonderful.

What a wonderful place, wonderful food, wonderful owner and manager. We will be coming back many, many times. And if you haven't eaten there, then y ou really need to try it - it's better (not as commercial and touristy as many of the other Thai places in town) - it's just wonderful. Unexpected in a little strip mall like this, but just wonderful. You won't be sorry.

1  Thank chewedpup

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We needed a place for supper within easy walking distance from the Hampton Inn, and checked out the shopping center across the street. Our friends like Thai food, so decided to try 84 Thai even though it did not look very prepossessing from the outside.

We were pleasantly surprised. The interior was attractive and the service was accommodating. My husband cannot eat onions, and since the meals are made to order, he was able to get a delicious meal without onions. We were all pleased with our meals, and will certainly go back again next time we are in Fort Lauderdale.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The 84 Thai Restaurant is hidden out of the way in Ft Lauderdale on Hwy 84 between Andrews and I 95 in a Winn Dixie shopping center. Great food and friendly service in a clean comfortable restaurant. The green curry was awesome. Very good dumplings and spring rolls. Great Pad Thai and fried rice. Red curry was very good as well. I am in Ft Lauderdale once a month on business and I am glad I found them. Be advised they do not take Amex however so bring your MC, Visa or cash.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Easy to get to, not crowded but the staff seems a bit bothered to prepare take-out. Oh well, its worth a slight sneer ..

Reviewed 2 June 2013

We were staying in a hotel across the street from this Thai restaurant and had decided to give this place a try since we love to eat Thai food. This restaurant is located in an old strip mall that is not visually attractive so we were a little apprehensive about going into this small restaurant. Once inside, the ambiance was very nice with the decor that has a nice traditional Thai atmosphere. The service was quick and very friendly, and the food was excellent.

The 84 Thai Food restaurant is definitely worth the visit if you are in the area and looking for a good place for lunch or dinner.

1  Thank AZCasualTraveler