“Precruise hotel”

Ranked #28 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Cotopaxi, Colorado
“Precruise hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

We stayed here on the way to the cruise. Because we were Priority Club members, they upgraded us from a king room to a queen suite. A plus for their marketing department. Everything in the room was nice and in almost new condition. The bed was comfortable and had lots of pillows. The desk staff was friendly and we were checked in quickly because the manager Juan jumped in to help.

We liked the suite setup. Because we were there only one night, we didn’t use the full kitchen but it looked good. Even though the hotel doesn’t have an onsite restaurant / breakfast bar, there is a Winn Dixie across the street. There are several restaurants within walking distance. We ate at the Italian for dinner and Dunkin Donuts for breakfast. There was also a bar/hamburger joint which was too smoky for us, a German restaurant which closed at 6 pm and a Thai restaurant that looked like it had promise. The area that it was in was a little sketchy but we didn’t feel uncomfortable. Finally, it is not near a beach or any attractions so you are stuck if you don’t have a car.

Things to be aware of: The front desk told me to call the free shuttle when we arrived so there wasn’t much of a delay. Note that the shuttle is shared by four hotels on State Road 84 so look at all the emblems on the bus. Also they offer a port shuttle for $8 a person, which would have been about the same for a taxi. We will probably do the taxi next time since the shuttle service they contract with was fully booked.

Why it wasn’t perfect: The price was a little high, but since it was Presidents Day weekend and there were five cruise ships leaving, all the hotels were increased their rates. That is why I gave three dots for value.

Because this is a two star hotel (at a four star price), I am giving it five dots over all for excellent. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Join the Priority Club/Enter your number on the reservation. We got an upgrade because of it.
6 Thank bssc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Great hotel to stay at if you have an early flight out the next day. Very clean hotel and appears to be in god shape. Average but friendly staff. Note that the shuttle service is for this hotel plus the Holiday Inn Express next door so your van to the airport could be more crowded than you expect. Very good value for money/

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank wjstpb
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We checked into this hotel on Saturday evening with the intention of staying for a week but we checked out Sunday morning. We were initially assigned a smoking room despite our request for a non-smoking room. Once we were able to "prove" our reservation was in fact made for a non-smoking room, we were begrudgingly assigned to a new room with a non-working toilet. Although the maintance staff was friendly and spent the evening repairing the toilet, we were less than thrilled with spending our Saturday night sitting around waiting for this fix to occur. If you do select this hotel for you pre/post-cruise stay, expect few amenities, long check-in lines, and no options to change rooms if you experience an issue.

4 Thank autwp
HIManagement84, Manager at Candlewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Air/Seaport, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Let me start by offering you a sincere apology for the issues you had with your reservation and the issues within your room.

I can’t say how the reservation that was made, was for a smoking room but as your showed
us, it was for a non-smoking room, we are investigating how it happened.

We are very sorry that your facilities was not in working order, but we are in constant training of our staff to check these items before our guests check in, again I am sorry.

We strive and want all of our guests to have an extraordinary stay with us.

Again, I do apologize and would love the opportunity to make it right with you. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel so that we can have a chance to earn your future business.
meerbrook
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Booked on the internet because of other reviews. We were able to check in as soon as we arrived and were delighted with the room. It has a full sized fridge, dishwasher, hob and microwave. Reception have been very helpful and we were able to use the laundry for free.

4 Thank hollyoakMeerbrook
Indianapolis,Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

We are love the Candelwood Suites as I travel for business. Our stay at this location was not bad but a little disappointing. We stayed here before and after our recent cruise. We arrived via cab around 9:00 in the evening on Jan 29 2012. There were several people lined up trying to check in. The lady at the desk did a good job handling everything efficiently. She was vary kind and helpful but the wait was long. I just don't understand why the night before several cruise ships are leaving only one person was working the front desk. When we arrived in our room we found it to be worn. The recliner in the room was worn so bad I did not want to set in it. I wonder how they clean it properly. I would just expect more for a room I spent $140 on. The next day we checked out and the shuttle was on time and worked great.

We had a wonderful time on Liberty of the Seas. On return we spent another night at the Candelwood our room was fine and checkin went smooth. We checked out the morning of Feb 5th. I went down to the front desk and ask for a scale to weigh luggage. The woman at the desk never looked up from her computer and said "we don't have a scale" I explained to her my wife had just came down and weighed her luggage. Never looking up from the computer she said" well I don't know how she did that" In frustration I walked away without saying anything.. The number one rule in customer service is; listen and respond with empathy. I later found a scale in the workout room. At check out she was standing at the front door never thanked us for staying or invited us back.

Although staying here was not a bad choice I think I can get this same level of service and room for a little less money.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pakman61
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

I've been a big fan of the value of Candlewood Suites across the country, from Times Square in Manhattan to rural areas. This one is a huge disappointment. Staff is poorly trained, and the shuttle we reserved for 8AM wasn't there at 7:55AM. It was the ONLY reason we booked this hotel!

Front desk told us we should have been 10 minutes early for it. Perhaps they could have informed us of that policy when we reserved the shuttle the night before? I'm early for everything in my life. Then the driver told the front desk he'd be by in 10 to 15 minutes to grab us. That would have been fine. 20 minutes later, I ask front desk for an update. He says he filled up at the other hotels, just like he did for the 8AM run, and it would be another 10 to 15min. In essence, his word was useless at that point, and we were on our own.

After we bought a cab to the airport, I called for the manager and left my number. Called back after our trip a week later. No callback, they don't care. I hope this review can save future travelers the headache we experienced. The value IS the shuttle to many. And no one needing a timely shuttle should book here, ever.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank WFamCir
HIManagement84, Manager at Candlewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Air/Seaport, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us through Trip Advisor. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We are very disappointed that we failed to provide you with the service which you expected. We can assure you that the satisfaction of each and every one of our guests is our number one priority. We completely understand how we greatly missed the mark regarding service provided during your stay. We are taking corrective steps, so this doesn’t happen again. Please allow us to regain your trust in our product and service on your next stay in our area.
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

I just wanted to say that I loved staying at this hotel. it was very nice and clean, the staff was wonderful and very helpful to us during our stay. I loved the amenities they offered even though they did not have a pool at their hotel but right next door was a Holiday Inn Express which is owned by the same company and we had access to also use their amenities such as the pool and computer room. I loved the kitchenettes they had and just overall I really enjoyed staying there and I will stay there again when I'm down there for vacation.

Room Tip: There is none, all the rooms are wonderful I'm sure. We had a suite
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends