“Nice hotel, a little pricey, mall across street.”

Candlewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Air/Seaport
Ranked #36 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Nice hotel, very clean, convenient for the fridge, stove top, microwave and kitchen items. The room does not have a wine opener, I called the front desk and a nice fellow came up and opened my bottle for me.

The complimentary laundry came in handy after a few days of traveling.

The 'on your honor' conveience area off the lobby had a good variety of items. Some more reasonably priced than others. Water, sodas, ice cream bars and pints, frozen breakfast sandwiches, frozen entrees, bread, bacon, chips, bars, soup, condiments, sundries. Complimentary coffee was available.

Shuttle service was quite bad. It stopped at the Holiday Inn Express (possibly the Best Western and Howard Johnsons as well) first, filled up and wouldn't even come to the Candlewood. I showed up around 11:00 and there were 22 people in front of me. After waiting for exactly an hour the front desk called in another shuttle van to take us, and that was the 1st free shuttle that showed up. By then I was first in line, all the other 22 people had called cabs or took advantage of the freelance cabs and pay shuttles that came around.

The port was very close, seemed like 5 or 10 minutes. If I had to do it again I wouldn't be so set on booking a hotel that had free shuttle service. I would pay the $8 for the shuttle.

It was very nice to have the shopping mall across the street. Winn Dixie, Big Daddy's Liquor, Subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, Dunkin Donuts, Big Lots, pizza, thai, latin, nails, salon, barbershop, etc. Excellent chinese at Ruby's.

Right next door was Holiday Inn Express, and across the street was Howard Johnsons and Best Western. 2 parking lots down was an alternative night club 'Purgatory'. About 1/4 mile down the street towards the lights to cross to the mall was a German restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
6  Thank KellyMaae

Reviewed 17 March 2010

This was our second stay at this hotel. We actually needed to be in Deerfield Beach, and had a side trip planned to Ft Lauderdale. We actually drove about 20 mins extra just to stay here. I cant comment on the staff, my wife checked us in while I dealt with luggage.

The room was comfortable and clean as could be. Very quiet.

Had breakfast at McDonalds across the street in the am and were on our way to the Seminole Casino and then went on an airboat ride through the everglades. All this is within a short drive from the hotel.

A great second stay for us and I m looking forward to returning on our next trip to S Fla.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vegasrick71
Reviewed 6 March 2010

I stayed here before flying out on an early flight from FLL. The room was very clean and the kitchen was nicely appointed. There are som fast food restaurants and a Winn-Dixie across the street. My only wish would be that there be more choices for eating out.

The airport shuttle was fine. I did have to wait a long time for the airport shuttle in the morning, but the front desk guy didn't seem to motivated to call them to come pick me up, even though I got up early to catch the 5:30 a.m. shuttle. I was also surprised that the shuttle only runs every hour in the morning, since the airport is within a 10-15 minute drive.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank blueiii
Reviewed 22 February 2010

The rooms are fine – set up with full-sized appliances, since it’s an extended-stay hotel. In our experience anyway, the shuttle service was poor. Getting picked up from the airport took a little longer than 45 minutes after calling to request the shuttle. The taxi dispatcher at the airport said a cab would cost about $20, so we chose to wait it out. Traveling to the cruise terminal the following day, we gave up after waiting an hour, jumped in a private van and paid our own way (as did many/all other guests we saw that morning). Turns out this hotel has no control of the shuttle van – we were told by the desk clerk (only after waiting nearly an hour) it’s under the control of the Holiday Inn next door, and their guests get first shake on the shuttle service. So, if you use this hotel, and want a free shuttle to the cruise terminal, you’ll probably want to walk next door and wait in line with the Holiday Inn folks.
The location is good. Directly across the street is an oversized strip mall, including a Winn-Dixie, a decent Thai restaurant, liquor store, McDonalds, etc.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank John L
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We stayed here just one night before heading off on the Discovery Cruise Ship to the Bahama's. The room was awesome. Nice little kitchen. W e got in late, about midnight and were starving. They had a nice little store down by the front desk for us to buy microwavable foods. They also had drinks and snacks. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. They had a shuttle to and from the airport and Port Everglades. I would of liked to stay there a few more nights as the beds were comfortable and rooms were so relaxing and quite.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank CBVDive
Reviewed 2 January 2010

This place is great ....except for the staff. I've never encountered such rudeness and lack of professionalism in my 40 years of travelling. I have the highest Priority Club rating but it surely made no difference at this place. The front desk guy on 12/18 was so rude I was speechless. It took my husband 1.5 hours to arrive from FLL on the hotel shuttle ... the front desk kept telling him to be patient, there was alot of traffic .... but he watched other hotels' shuttles go by again and again. Turns out the driver only stopped for passengers when he wanted to. When asked, the driver told my husband that he "just didn't feel like picking up those people with vouchers" even tho they were booked at one of the hotels on the side of his van. Holiday Inn will be getting a very specific letter from me about the way we were treated.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JSN
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Hotel is conveniently a few miles from Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl. Airport and an easy drive. Check-in was efficient, and there were cookies at the desk. Parking can only be accessed by a room key, which was nice. Room was very comfortable for my husband and 20-year-old daughter -- 2 TV's, nice living room and bedroom, comfy beds, and a sofa bed, although there was no bedding in the room for the sofa bed. We liked having the sink outside the bathroom, which made it easier for 3 people. Free breakfast, plenty of food, although the breakfast area is awkwardly set up when there are a lot of people (which there were). The only problem we had was that there were no bath towels in the room, the maid said she didn't speak English, and we the front desk phone was constantly busy. I finally took towels off the maid's cart, which was in the hallway. Other than that and the lack of bedding for the sofa bed, it was a very nice place to stay for one night.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family