“Quiet, Affordable, Functional Hotel for Business or for Cruise Pax”

Candlewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Air/Seaport
Ranked #30 of 131 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I stayed for 5 weeks from July to August 2010 at the Candlewood. The price for 30+ days was excellent. Rooms are clean. I had an efficiency/studio and felt it was very adequate for my needs. The decor is tasteful. Front desk staff and housekeeping are very helpful. Kitchen is equipped with refrigerator, dishwasher, stove top (no oven), microwave, and enough dishes for two. Coffee is free 24 hours a day and is quite good. Other products can be purchased in the little shop near reception, which can be handy. Sodas are only 50 cents, bottle water $1.50, some dinner entrees (lasagna, paninis, etc), juices, snacks, basic toiletries/medications, laundry soap ($1). Laundry is FREE for washer and dryer, which is very convenient. There is a small work out room with an elliptical and a treadmill as well as a few other machines. Water pressure is good and the water is hot for showers. Nice, bowed shower rod to keep the shower curtain away. Bed is comfortable and there is a choice of pillows. The studio has a comfy chair to relax in, a comfy work chair at the desk and another regular chair for the table. (desk/table are one) There is a DVD player in the room and the front desk has movies and books available. There is a free shuttle to the airport and to the seaport. THey also pick up from the airport 24 hrs a day but NOT the seaport (as you can imagine a ship coming in with multiple guests/luggage...). They do allow you to leave your car here for the duration of the cruise if you stay here, which is a great deal. The hotel is quiet and I mostly saw cruise ship passengers, airline crew, single adult travelers, but also some tradesman who seem to stay here when working on the road. There is a little gazebo out back with a grill , but this is often used by the tradesmen who like to have a beer and a smoke there, some social time and grill some steaks. This was no problem for me at all and I don't think anyone should be put off by that comment. Just filling in all the details I can think of. The hotel is very quiet. Not once in 5 weeks was there a noise issue, and I stayed on the first floor. The hotel is within walking distance to a grocery store (across the street), a terrific Thai place (84 Thai across the street), a chinese place, an upscale italian place that requires reservations and has mixed reviews (Anthony's 84 runway), a Walgreens, Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Big Lots, Beall's, other little shops in the strip mall across the street. Families mostly seem to stay next door in the Holiday Inn, which has a pool, so Candlewood is mostly adults. Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood Beaches are less than 15 minutes away. The airport and seaport are within 5 minutes. Great place to stay if you are heading out and just staying for one night. Access to interstates is excellent with I-95 going north and south and the 595 heading west to Sawgrass Mills, The Cleveland Clinic, etc. I would definitely stay here again if I were on an extended business trip. It is affordable and quiet enough where I really was feeling like it was my little apartment, not a hotel. Faxes are free up to 6 pages I believe.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank Verti94

Reviewed 23 June 2010

Needed a room close to the airport as I had an mid-morning flight. Room was very spacious and clean. Room also came with a kitchenette and free wi-fi. Other amenities were free use of laudry machines and dryer, free airport shuttle to and from hotel and free parking. Location was great, easy to get to airport and to Ft. Lauderdale beaches. If I could have stayed longer I would. Great little hotel with a great price.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gap09
Reviewed 15 June 2010

we have stayed at this hotel twice during cruises out of Port Everglades. This has been the best place we have stayed in our entire life for comfort, price and excellent service. The front desk folk's from David the Manager who brought us extra pillows to Billy, the Desk clerk, you could not receive any better service anywhere. Hospitality was such, I thought I was still in Ga. not Ft. Lauderdale.
They even let us leave our car at no cost while we cruised and carried us to the ship. now you can't beat that!! If you going to Ft. Lauderdale cruising, stay with these folk's. Thank you David and Billy for your wonderful service. you both deserve a raise!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank redmanGeorgia
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Nice hotel, very clean, convenient for the fridge, stove top, microwave and kitchen items. The room does not have a wine opener, I called the front desk and a nice fellow came up and opened my bottle for me.

The complimentary laundry came in handy after a few days of traveling.

The 'on your honor' conveience area off the lobby had a good variety of items. Some more reasonably priced than others. Water, sodas, ice cream bars and pints, frozen breakfast sandwiches, frozen entrees, bread, bacon, chips, bars, soup, condiments, sundries. Complimentary coffee was available.

Shuttle service was quite bad. It stopped at the Holiday Inn Express (possibly the Best Western and Howard Johnsons as well) first, filled up and wouldn't even come to the Candlewood. I showed up around 11:00 and there were 22 people in front of me. After waiting for exactly an hour the front desk called in another shuttle van to take us, and that was the 1st free shuttle that showed up. By then I was first in line, all the other 22 people had called cabs or took advantage of the freelance cabs and pay shuttles that came around.

The port was very close, seemed like 5 or 10 minutes. If I had to do it again I wouldn't be so set on booking a hotel that had free shuttle service. I would pay the $8 for the shuttle.

It was very nice to have the shopping mall across the street. Winn Dixie, Big Daddy's Liquor, Subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, Dunkin Donuts, Big Lots, pizza, thai, latin, nails, salon, barbershop, etc. Excellent chinese at Ruby's.

Right next door was Holiday Inn Express, and across the street was Howard Johnsons and Best Western. 2 parking lots down was an alternative night club 'Purgatory'. About 1/4 mile down the street towards the lights to cross to the mall was a German restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
6  Thank KellyMaae
Reviewed 17 March 2010

This was our second stay at this hotel. We actually needed to be in Deerfield Beach, and had a side trip planned to Ft Lauderdale. We actually drove about 20 mins extra just to stay here. I cant comment on the staff, my wife checked us in while I dealt with luggage.

The room was comfortable and clean as could be. Very quiet.

Had breakfast at McDonalds across the street in the am and were on our way to the Seminole Casino and then went on an airboat ride through the everglades. All this is within a short drive from the hotel.

A great second stay for us and I m looking forward to returning on our next trip to S Fla.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vegasrick71
Reviewed 6 March 2010

I stayed here before flying out on an early flight from FLL. The room was very clean and the kitchen was nicely appointed. There are som fast food restaurants and a Winn-Dixie across the street. My only wish would be that there be more choices for eating out.

The airport shuttle was fine. I did have to wait a long time for the airport shuttle in the morning, but the front desk guy didn't seem to motivated to call them to come pick me up, even though I got up early to catch the 5:30 a.m. shuttle. I was also surprised that the shuttle only runs every hour in the morning, since the airport is within a 10-15 minute drive.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank blueiii
Reviewed 22 February 2010

The rooms are fine – set up with full-sized appliances, since it’s an extended-stay hotel. In our experience anyway, the shuttle service was poor. Getting picked up from the airport took a little longer than 45 minutes after calling to request the shuttle. The taxi dispatcher at the airport said a cab would cost about $20, so we chose to wait it out. Traveling to the cruise terminal the following day, we gave up after waiting an hour, jumped in a private van and paid our own way (as did many/all other guests we saw that morning). Turns out this hotel has no control of the shuttle van – we were told by the desk clerk (only after waiting nearly an hour) it’s under the control of the Holiday Inn next door, and their guests get first shake on the shuttle service. So, if you use this hotel, and want a free shuttle to the cruise terminal, you’ll probably want to walk next door and wait in line with the Holiday Inn folks.
The location is good. Directly across the street is an oversized strip mall, including a Winn-Dixie, a decent Thai restaurant, liquor store, McDonalds, etc.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank John L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Lauderdale
0 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#13 of 131 in Fort Lauderdale
Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port
Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Air...
#21 of 131 in Fort Lauderdale
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdal...
#40 of 131 in Fort Lauderdale
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airp...
#10 of 131 in Fort Lauderdale
Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Port Everglades Cruise Port
Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauder...
#62 of 131 in Fort Lauderdale
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South

Been to Candlewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Air/Seaport? Share your experiences!