“Great Value !!”

Ranked #31 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Lancaster, California
“Great Value !!”
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Wife and I arrived day before catching our flight the next day. Arrived on a very rainy Monday, and the nicely appointed room with the high quality pillow-top bed was a spirit lifter!!

Used the refrigerator to hold milk and frozen fruit for our breakfast.

High speed internet was welcomed. Bed was as comfortable as it looked, with choice of firm or soft pillows. Nice desk with office chair for computer work.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
oregon
Reviewed 16 January 2011

My spouse and I arrived late night after a long day of traveling. The front desk staff was very unwelcoming and the hotel is horribly outdated. The room was depressing with dirty tile, sheets like cardboard, no extra pillows or blankets, the phone didn't work, someone else's garbage was still in the trash and the room was stuffy and humid. The only plus is it is across the street from a grocery store so we could get supplies for our cruise. We were relieved to leave as soon as we woke up so we could move to the il Lugano hotel for our remaining night stay in fort lauderdale.

Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Kate W
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Everyone that works at this hotel is amazing. From the front desk to the housekeeping staff. I recently moved to Ft Lauderdale and stayed at this hotel for 30 days. It was the nicest Candlewood. The beds are comfortable. The cupboard is always stocked with items to purchase such as food, drinks, snacks. They even have free washer/dryers, no hotel offers that! So whether you are in town for a day, waiting for a cruise, moving to town and need a place for a few weeks, this hotel is the right hotel for you! Trust me!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank FTL777
Miami
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I stayed for 5 weeks from July to August 2010 at the Candlewood. The price for 30+ days was excellent. Rooms are clean. I had an efficiency/studio and felt it was very adequate for my needs. The decor is tasteful. Front desk staff and housekeeping are very helpful. Kitchen is equipped with refrigerator, dishwasher, stove top (no oven), microwave, and enough dishes for two. Coffee is free 24 hours a day and is quite good. Other products can be purchased in the little shop near reception, which can be handy. Sodas are only 50 cents, bottle water $1.50, some dinner entrees (lasagna, paninis, etc), juices, snacks, basic toiletries/medications, laundry soap ($1). Laundry is FREE for washer and dryer, which is very convenient. There is a small work out room with an elliptical and a treadmill as well as a few other machines. Water pressure is good and the water is hot for showers. Nice, bowed shower rod to keep the shower curtain away. Bed is comfortable and there is a choice of pillows. The studio has a comfy chair to relax in, a comfy work chair at the desk and another regular chair for the table. (desk/table are one) There is a DVD player in the room and the front desk has movies and books available. There is a free shuttle to the airport and to the seaport. THey also pick up from the airport 24 hrs a day but NOT the seaport (as you can imagine a ship coming in with multiple guests/luggage...). They do allow you to leave your car here for the duration of the cruise if you stay here, which is a great deal. The hotel is quiet and I mostly saw cruise ship passengers, airline crew, single adult travelers, but also some tradesman who seem to stay here when working on the road. There is a little gazebo out back with a grill , but this is often used by the tradesmen who like to have a beer and a smoke there, some social time and grill some steaks. This was no problem for me at all and I don't think anyone should be put off by that comment. Just filling in all the details I can think of. The hotel is very quiet. Not once in 5 weeks was there a noise issue, and I stayed on the first floor. The hotel is within walking distance to a grocery store (across the street), a terrific Thai place (84 Thai across the street), a chinese place, an upscale italian place that requires reservations and has mixed reviews (Anthony's 84 runway), a Walgreens, Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Big Lots, Beall's, other little shops in the strip mall across the street. Families mostly seem to stay next door in the Holiday Inn, which has a pool, so Candlewood is mostly adults. Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood Beaches are less than 15 minutes away. The airport and seaport are within 5 minutes. Great place to stay if you are heading out and just staying for one night. Access to interstates is excellent with I-95 going north and south and the 595 heading west to Sawgrass Mills, The Cleveland Clinic, etc. I would definitely stay here again if I were on an extended business trip. It is affordable and quiet enough where I really was feeling like it was my little apartment, not a hotel. Faxes are free up to 6 pages I believe.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank Verti94
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Needed a room close to the airport as I had an mid-morning flight. Room was very spacious and clean. Room also came with a kitchenette and free wi-fi. Other amenities were free use of laudry machines and dryer, free airport shuttle to and from hotel and free parking. Location was great, easy to get to airport and to Ft. Lauderdale beaches. If I could have stayed longer I would. Great little hotel with a great price.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gap09
georgia
Reviewed 15 June 2010

we have stayed at this hotel twice during cruises out of Port Everglades. This has been the best place we have stayed in our entire life for comfort, price and excellent service. The front desk folk's from David the Manager who brought us extra pillows to Billy, the Desk clerk, you could not receive any better service anywhere. Hospitality was such, I thought I was still in Ga. not Ft. Lauderdale.
They even let us leave our car at no cost while we cruised and carried us to the ship. now you can't beat that!! If you going to Ft. Lauderdale cruising, stay with these folk's. Thank you David and Billy for your wonderful service. you both deserve a raise!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank redmanGeorgia
Berwick, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Nice hotel, very clean, convenient for the fridge, stove top, microwave and kitchen items. The room does not have a wine opener, I called the front desk and a nice fellow came up and opened my bottle for me.

The complimentary laundry came in handy after a few days of traveling.

The 'on your honor' conveience area off the lobby had a good variety of items. Some more reasonably priced than others. Water, sodas, ice cream bars and pints, frozen breakfast sandwiches, frozen entrees, bread, bacon, chips, bars, soup, condiments, sundries. Complimentary coffee was available.

Shuttle service was quite bad. It stopped at the Holiday Inn Express (possibly the Best Western and Howard Johnsons as well) first, filled up and wouldn't even come to the Candlewood. I showed up around 11:00 and there were 22 people in front of me. After waiting for exactly an hour the front desk called in another shuttle van to take us, and that was the 1st free shuttle that showed up. By then I was first in line, all the other 22 people had called cabs or took advantage of the freelance cabs and pay shuttles that came around.

The port was very close, seemed like 5 or 10 minutes. If I had to do it again I wouldn't be so set on booking a hotel that had free shuttle service. I would pay the $8 for the shuttle.

It was very nice to have the shopping mall across the street. Winn Dixie, Big Daddy's Liquor, Subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, Dunkin Donuts, Big Lots, pizza, thai, latin, nails, salon, barbershop, etc. Excellent chinese at Ruby's.

Right next door was Holiday Inn Express, and across the street was Howard Johnsons and Best Western. 2 parking lots down was an alternative night club 'Purgatory'. About 1/4 mile down the street towards the lights to cross to the mall was a German restaurant.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo