“Elegance Defined....Almost Perfection”

The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #6 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 24 May 2011

This property, originally a St Regis, looks as new as it did 3 years ago when it opened.
Impeccably maintained in its elegant design, the rooms are tastefully appointed beyond compare, offering breathtaking views of the ocean ( this is the only kind of room you should reserve ---- oceanfront).Pay whatever it costs, it's worth it.

Here is what has declined : the Spa is not what it used to be. Three years ago, my friend and I spent every day getting phenomenal treatments from the best aesthetician we'd ever seen. This time, a woman who didn't speak english ( blocked out her name) botched a waxing so unprecedentedly that I was marked for a week. A very professional manager at the hotel named Linda promised to communicate this to the manager of the spa, and they offered to pick up the tab on any spa service at their South Beach location, where we were heading ( which , by the way, was a fabulous spa experience).If you have any problems at the R-C Ft Lauderdale, I would highly recommend contacting Linda. Sometimes the measure of a hotel's quality is not that they do everything perfectly but that they respond professionally when something goes wrong----and she was expert in her intervention.

Love the cafe/bar adjacent to the upscale restaurant. It did take a long time for the waitress to take our order, but the food was delicious and beautifully presented. Ambience
is soothing, not jarring.Room service is terrific. Breakfast on the balcony overlooking ocean cannot be beat.

One other lowpoint was the unswimmably freezing poolwater. It is a small pool, unlike the South Beach RC, and felt like melting ice cubes. I'm a swimmer and could discern the temp was under 80. No one was going into the pool.
Everything else around the pool is fantastic, largely due to some amazingly attentive management. Food delicious. Service superb. Views amazing. You are high up, not on the beach. This would not be so bad if the pool were more inviting, temperature-wise.

Checkout was uncharacteristically somewhat rocky and very slow.
Everyone very "white glove" except when checking in and requesting of the young woman on duty a check out time that was later ( which is possible with Platinum Elite). We requested a 30 minute-later-time, to get to the Spa, and she was absolutely terribly prissy about it, treating us in a punitive kind of way --- most uncharacteristic of previous stay when it was St Regis.( and illogical, since we needed the extra 30 minutes to spend even more $$$ in their spa).As it tuned out, the Spa experience was less-than-ideal and we left at 2pm, the "allowed" late check out, anyway.

If they adjust the pool temp, and hired the kind of amazing staff the South Beach Spa has, this property would be a place to spend at least 3 nights on the way to SOBE.

The fitness center has the most fabulous views of the intracoastal waterway. .It's a terrific motivator for working out!

Room Tip: Oceanfront is the only way to go.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank smithandzip

Reviewed 24 May 2011

Beautiful hotel, perfect location, great view, nice spa (though very expensive), good service, great food, but unfortunately I left with numerous bed bug bites. Just praying none made the trip home with me. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
10  Thank buzzAtlanta2
Reviewed 27 April 2011

During the busy Easter break we spent a lovely week at the Ritz-Carlton Fort Lauderdale. The service, food and decor were excellent, the best of Ritz-Carlton. We did not care for the trashy Fort Lauderdale strip, but the oasis created by the staff at the hotel more than made up for the location. The view from our terrace overlooking the beach and ocean was spectacular.The Hooters bar (and numerous other bars ) next door could not be heard from our room or the cleverly designed pool deck. The hotel has a beautiful design , similar to an art deco ship with the pool on the 7th floor overlooking the ocean. The overall design of the "ship" is best seen from out in the blue water of the ocean looking back.
Luckily the food (and service) at both the pool and the restaurant were excellent as there really is not anywhere walking distance that is worth going. Fort Lauderdale beach is like a tacky South Beach. If you need to be in Fort Lauderdale Beach this is the place to be.

Room Tip: The ocean facing room was great!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2011

This property is more like a luxury boutique hotel than a huge resort. The service was excellent, great attitudes and very professional. Any issues were dealt with immediately and you actually get the impression that management cares about your comfort. Given the restraints due to the location ( public beach, general crowded area), it seems like the staff goes out of its way to be sure your stay is enjoyable and stress free. The folks at the spa and the pool area were exceptional! I would certainly return!

Room Tip: The rooms are great, front desk wonderful
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2011

This hotel was plush from beginning to end. We had a lovely room overlooking the beach. The restaurant was gourmet. We didn't leave the hotel. We did find a Starbucks close by. The street the hotel is on is filled with stores and eateries. there is also a CVS store nearby, if you forget your sunscreen.
I was very impressed with the ladies in the SPA. I was looking for a specific lotion & they found it for me. the service here is unbelievable. The beds were so great too. The sheets alone are worth mention here. LOVELY!!!!! Will go again. we only stayed one night,before going on a cruise. this hotel is very close to cruise ships,maybe 10 minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach view room!!!
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2011

My background:
I have stayed at many flagship Ritz Carltons dozens if not hundreds of times for extended periods from the Laguna Beach location, to the Naples location, to Palm Beach etc. Not to mention higher eschelon resorts ie Sandy Lane, Barbados/ Auberge resorts/Peninsula Beverly Hills & Chicago/ One & Only Resorts, etc. Basically, if I am not going first class everything I am NOT going. I wont even stay at a Mandarin Oriental hotel bc I think they are dumps. I am oppinionated, experienced in luxury travel, and objective.

Location, Ft L
Let me preface this hotel review by explaining its location:I had never stayed in Ft Lauderdale, quite frankly bc the town is what I imagine Daytona Beach or some type of "spring breaker" destination to resemble. I was right. It's the type of place where I I see lots of beer bonging, Hulk-Hogan look alikes, lots of encapsulated b.implants and ankle tattoos. Point is, I would rather stay in Palm Beach for the dining/shopping, etc. This town is a party town and little too frat-party-esque for my taste. I dont even like South Beach, (and South Beach is Palm Beach compared to FtL.)

We were on an extended holiday going to the West Indies, and our flight out of Naples FL had to emergency land in FTL (it wasnt a real emergency just a technical precaution). So it was 9am, and we were stuck in Ft L until the following day @ noon. Instead of sulking we decided to check in this new ritz

The HOTEL
My Room: condo-style, club level suite
OMG. This place was magnificent. Upon entrance, the lobby was lovely and contemporary, but finely done. It was not over the top, however. We stayed in one of their condo-style ocean front suites. This hotel room was literally a 2500sqft room that had a full beautiful kitchen, giant living room, giant decks I could sun on, giant bathrooms, amazing beds. Bc this has a residence wing on another part of the building, I think they really achieved an anti-hotel room feel. I did not see one other guest in the hallways or ever hear any noise. It was superbowl sunday, so my husband and a local friend of his watched the game in our living room and ordered steak and some of the best quality room service I've ever seen. I and a local girlfriend went downstairs to eat dinner at the restaurant which was incredible. Service as incredible.

Club
The club, as most know, is the all inclusive a la carte style finger foods and cocktails. It was a gorgeous club. The service people were not great in the club, sadly. First of all, we were the only guests in the club and we used it 3 different times. the employees came in in the morning and hit the food stations for their own carry out breakfasts. This action was a total turn off. In the mean time, the server was not on hand for drinks or any of the routine things they provide you while you are there. She actually would stand over us while we made our food selctions- making us very uncomfortable, it felt like she didnt want us to take anything. It wasnt until I saw the employees helping themsleves later that I realized..ahhh. they want this food. I assume the club doesnt get used all that often so there are likely times where they set out food, and it goes untouched, and then they get to take it home. I am not kidding. It was just odd.

Pool
The pool and food are amazing at this hotel. THe pool is lined with front-gate lounge chairs instead of those dreadful plastic ones. The pool was EMPTY and gorgeous with service staff waiting for someone to take an order from. The pool overlooks the beautiful beach.

Overall I would return bc the hotel is gorgeous and empty and the rooms are insanely amazing. I would probably not stay more than a long weekend, bc the location leaves a lot to be desired but the hotel itself is so cool it's worth checking out. But def not a destination unless you find yourself already int he area in need of a great place to stay.

Room Tip: ask for condo -style rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ChloeLove
Reviewed 18 March 2011

This place is absolutley perfect. The entire staff is extremely helpful and friendly. The door men were the nicest I have ever dealt with. My room was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite with 2 full baths, 1 small bath and 2 balcnonies and a mini kitchen. I couldnt have asked for anything more. I will be traveling back to the area in early May and will defintely be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends