“Lovely property, great views, nice restaurant.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #5 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton on 12/21, 2012, as a travelling family, with 16 in our party. The facility is simply beautiful. The service was fairly good as well. - It was attentive without being too much.

A few minor nits- the scattered us all over the hotel, and none of the rooms that we had requested as adjoining were. Some of the doubles, ended up being a king room, and one of the rooms was supposed to be handicapped accessible- but not the one that was assigned to my dad. We swapped people around, and it turned out okay. In retrospect, it was my bad for not hauling everyone back down, and asking for the needed room configurations. There is no laundry facility onsite if you need to do a quick load of laundry.

The views from our oceanview balcony were stunning, simply stunning. The room was also beautiful. In fact, all of the rooms were beautiful. The bathroom was comprised of a shower area, a soaking tub (which was a bit narrow, but very deep), a double sink area, and a toilet area. It was worth noting that the water that came out of the tap smelled horribly, typical for Florida. It was also an interesting shade of yellow in the tub.

Breakfast was also very good.

Other facilities:
The kids were disappointed that the indoor pool closed at a very early 6:00 PM, as they would have liked to have gone swimming after dinner.
My husband appreciated the well appointed gym, and got in a very nice work-out prior to our departure.

Room Tip: The oceanview suites are beautiful.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 December 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Fort Lauderdale in December to attend a wedding that was being held at the hotel.

Despite having a bad experience, I would like to be fare and mention several positives about the hotel. First, the hotel has a great location and with an amazing view of the ocean and a harbor depending on what side you are on. Second, the hotel makes the best of the the location and has great space throughout the hotel, including balconies with lounge chairs to soak in the views, and a restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. Thirdly, the pool space is very luxurious and modern and similar to a celeb-like experience. Next, the hotel is clean and has a feel of classic luxury throughout. Also, the breakfast buffet in the restaurant is very, very good. Finally, the staff is friendly although the service is not necessarily great (see below).

However, there are a number of negatives regarding service and food that the hotel needs to address.

-First, the hotel failed to have a crib ready for my 1-year old son when we arrived at the hotel at 1 A.M. I had called three times to confirm a baby crib given we were arriving so late, and the hotel brushed / laughed me off by the third time, only to not have the crib ready. Additionally, the person at the front desk said I never requested a crib. When I spoke with the manager, she also said the crib request was not in the reservation. Finally, when I said that I had an email from the hotel with the reservation specifically documenting my crib request, the manager apologized and acknowledged that we did indeed request a crib. Although the manager did offer to pay for our breakfast, the experience was a poor one - I would have rather had a crib ready for my son given it was 1 A.M.

Other service issues included:

-It took the hotel over 30 minutes to deliver a crib to our room.

-We requested a warm glass of milk for our son given it was 1 A.M. when we arrived and the hotel delivered cold milk (yet another issue we had to deal with so late at night)

-One night I tipped housekeeping $10 for and mentioned that I had a baby and needed extra towels. Housekeeping simply replaced our existing towels and never provided extra towels so I ended up with the same amount as I had before.

In addition to the above service issues, we had some issues with the food:

-During the breakfast buffet, some of the food items were cold. Also, some of the items like the salmon weren't prepared correctly as all pieces were spotty / blemished. Additionally, our server was very fast, to the point where we felt very rushed and our check arrived prior to us being ready to leave.

-We attended a wedding at the hotel which overall was very well organized / presented with very good service at the wedding. However, the food was by far the worst I have ever tasted at a wedding, including the cocktail our and the actual dinner. I was surprised as the food at the hotel restaurant itself was overall very good.

In addition to the service and food issues, we had one final issue with our room:

-We had a one-bedroom suite so that our son could sleep in another room (the living room). However, the walls were extremely thin such that every morning at 5:30 a.m. we could hear the couple next to us speaking loudly to each other, sometimes fighting and other times singing. The wall were actually so thin and the couples were so loud that it actually woke up our son who was two rooms away i.e. through the wall into our bedroom, through our bedroom into our living room!!!

I can definitely see how several others rated the hotel high given the positives I mentioned above. I also assume those rating this hotel had positive service experiences. However, given our experience as mentioned above, I cannot rate this hotel higher than a 2 and hope that my wife, baby and I had an isolated experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Matt12345888
Reviewed 19 December 2012

This hotel was pure luxury everywhere you looked. We arrived and there was a mix up with our hotel room so they upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite... OMG it was gorgeous and the views were spectacular. One side the canal views and the other side the ocean, both breathtaking. The staff were friendly and the pool bar area is sooo relaxing too.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room to get both views of canal and ocean
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Can't say enough wife and I have been overworked and wanted to get away with a chance to do nothing. Had dinner in Luna on Thursday night JP was my waiter and made a great dinner recommendation food was amazing. Friday sat by the pool and bar there, felt like a rock star (maybe cause there where rock stars hiding there also leave the names out). Friday night took car service arraigned by hotel to a holiday party had some issues with the driver the hotel got wind of this and took it off the bill without me saying a word. Got back and spent a few hours with Gerard the bartender and had some fun. Sat got up and decided not to leave the room, room service for breakfast andunch was great. We had a special dinner planned in the wine room which was a five course meal paired with Italian wines. This was worth every penny we also had the room to ourself for the evening. Spent the rest of that night hanging in the bar with Gerard and the rock stars. We also used the spa like I said I can't say a bad thing will make an effort to get back there real soon

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We stayed one night per cruise at the Ritz. We arrived about 2:30. Our room was not yet ready, which was no big deal, we wanted to grab some lunch anyway. We went up to the poolside cafe and had a lite late(very good) lunch.

After lunch I think the waitress asked if we were staying there. We said we were waiting to check in. She volunteered to inquire if our room was ready, which it was not. She sincerely apologized and said they were comping our lunch. We stopped by the front desk and gave them our cell to call. We took a short walk down the block, and were called less than half an hour later.

We had a standard room, which was nice size and had a partial ocean view. The bathroom was large. The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

A short while after checking in we had a knock at the door. A plate of chocolate covered strawberries and champagne was delivered! It was my birthday, but I didn't recall mentioning that. I thought my husband had ordered it, but he did not! Later I recalled when making reservations for dinner, they asked if it was a special occasion. I did tell the restaurant it would be my birthday , so they must have forwarded on that info. The strawberries were spectacular!

All staff members we encountered were very nice and those at the front desk always called us by name . How can they remember??

After the very very minor problem with the room not being ready, they went completely above and beyond to make our short stay perfect.

This was truly the best service we have ever had at a hotel.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarciaB10
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Stayed for 5 nights in July 2012. Had a group of 30 people for a small conference. The team at the Ritz performed to a high standard in meeting the needs of our group. We had a number of different room categories all of which were spacious and meticulously serviced! Our bathroom was very spacious with a large soaking tub and walk-in shower, separte loo and twin basins.

The hotel overlooks the Ft. Lauderdale beach on the one side and the Intra-Coastal on the other side, both views are beautiful.

This was a St Regis property before becoming a Ritz Carlton about 5 years ago. Having considered a number of properties on the beachfront this proved to be an excellent choice.

Breakfast at the Via Luna on the terrace is picturesque. The hotel enjoys a sort-of boutique feel in the lobby area. It is plush and sophisticated with a calm and serene atmosphere. Enjoyed a feature dinner with 30 people at Via Luna. The food was superb and the service was exceptional!

The gym is well equipped and served our needs. The pool deck is very well laid out, not oversized but never a problem getting sun loungers. We enjoyed the attendants' service including sunscreen and chilled lemon water on tap!

Special mention of Monica from Sales and Clodah from Banqueting both did a superb job in looking after our group and managing our mini-conference.

Overall a sophisticated and elegant property.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Harv and Les C
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for years and I am always pleased with my experience starting with the valets/Bellman to the front desk and especially the well appointed and comfortable rooms. I enjoy the restaurant and the bar has a nice atmosphere and attentive bar tenders.I only have two very small complaints: 1) they don't deliver the correct newspaper in the morning and 2) the water pressure in the shower is weak. Overall a very nice place to stay in Ft. Lauderdale.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 10th floor or higher for the best ocean view; otherwise the palm trees partiall...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business