“You get what you pay for!!!!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
baton rouge
“You get what you pay for!!!!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Went to the Ritz Carlton for a week during Christmas. Started off at the recommendation of friends to stay at Atlantis. I know they boast there room size but the furnishings in the room are dirty and they have no black out drapery in bedroom. I know that is not a big deal to some but it sure is to me if you want to sleep late. Checked out and spent the next 6 nights at the Ritz Carlton. The hotel room was exception - we had a ocean view and the room decor was exceptional .There
service in every aspect was to perfection - there room service was timely and the staff could not have been any nicer. We might have paid a little more but it was worth every penny. I would recommend it to everyone !
You get what you pay for

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank brentBatonRouge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Sea Bright, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The moment that we arrived at this hotel we were greeted by exceptionally warm and friendly employees. Clearly management at this hotel is doing something right as this continued throughout the hotel and our 4 day stay everywhere that we went. The rooms are nice and well appointed and we were fortunate enough to have a balcony with a view of both the ocean and inter-coastal waterway. The pool area is lovely with plenty of lounges and great ocean views. The beach is actually across the street and although they have an attendant and chairs and towels they do not offer food or beverage other than water. The location is great as you can walk to many of the restaurants and shops along the beach and are very close to all of the other shopping and restaurant areas of Ft. Lauderdale.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the South side of the hotel so you could see the ocean and inter-coastal.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adrienne W
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The Ritz didn't disappoint - expensive, but we'll worth it. I took my daughters and grandchildren away for a long weekend and we shared a 2-room suite. It's a beautiful property and the pool area overlooks the ocean. The room was spacious and the beds really comfortable - we had an ocean view. The service was fantastic and everyone very polite and helpful. I recommend getting club level which includes a great breakfast buffet, evening hors d'oevres and drinks and other treats. They even kept a supply of swim diapers at the pool. We plan to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
USA
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The hotel is located in the middle of everything in Fort Lauderdale Beach. The hotel is very nice and the staff is what you would expect at a Ritz.
There is only valet parking ($32 + tax a day) which I usually don't care too much for (we go in and out a lot) but the staff was very nice and it worked out just fine.
There is also a parking lot right next door (by the CVS) that is $25 a day so if you don't go in and out too much that may be a better deal.
There is a convenience store in the lobby that sells pastries, coffee, ice-cream and things like that so that is available for people that don't eat a large breakfast (like us). There is also a StarBucks 2 blocks over at the Westin which is another good (and a lot cheaper) breakfast spot for the ones that don't eat too much for breakfast.
Our room had a inter-coastal view and was on the 12th floor. The fans at the bottom especially from the hotel next door are pretty loud and I can see how they can annoy people. We could not hear them with the door closed but they dominated the sound when the door was open and we were sitting on the balcony.
The room was otherwise very nice, some of the decor was maybe outdated (the TV cabinet for example) but the bathroom and everything else in the room looked like what I would expect from a Ritz property.
The pool, the restaurant at the pool as well as the staff in the pool area were great although the pool is pretty small. Like any other resort we have been to, people come in in the morning, put their stuff on the pool chairs and leave and don't come back for hours. The pool opened at 8 am so I would recommend going there, getting a spot and then leaving and coming back afterwards otherwise you will be left without a chair.
The beach was also nice but the water was pretty rowdy and there were some jellyfish (red and purple flags) most of the time we were there so we didn't get to swim in the ocean too much. The one day that was nice and we did go in it was very beautiful. This is the reason the pool and pool area were pretty congested.
We did not care too much for the beach access from the hotel pool (the elevators were extremely slow and smelled like urine). We just either took the stairs or took the elevators to the lobby and crossed the street from there. It really was no big deal, just had to put a shirt on when walking through the lobby.

There is a CVS next door and a lot of restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Iowa
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed two days for business. Property is almost but not quite up to the usual Ritz standards. My room was located on the 5th floor south corridor. Nearby was an exhaust fan for a restaurant that was so loud that it could clearly be heard through the closed window. Located overlooking the beach it was a shame that I couldn't sit outside unless I had hearing protection on. The property is in need of a refit. While the furnishings were nice in the room, the room was "tired" with frayed edges, scratches, etc. The shower was an odd tub with half glass. When you took a shower you had to place two bath towels on the floor to soak up the water that would run down the glass on the inside and then run under the glass and out onto the floor.

Room Tip: Don't take a south corner room. They are small and poorly laid out, the "shower tub"...
2 Thank warriordad
Broadview Heights, Ohio
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Out of all the Ritz Carlton's I have stayed at this is probably my least favorite but only because of where it is located (Ft Lauderdale). The hotel itself is very nice, staff is what you would expect for a Ritz Carlton. Stayed here twice for work, would stay again if the price were right.
Rooms are very nicely appointed, very clean, food choices at the hotel are just ok. Good news is that you can walk to just about anyplace within 5 minutes.

Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 12 December 2013

While there were some good things about the hotel, beautiful public spaces and very nice meeting rooms, I would never stay here again voluntarily. The front desk staff was arrogant and did not seem to understand how to bill a tax exempt entity and there were a number of other issues, but one at a time. I work for a non-profit tax exempt company and gave the desk clerks everything they needed, my company id, company credit card and the tax exempt certificate when I checked in. But they still kept putting tax on my bill not once but three times. A night desk clerk called and demanded we come downstairs at 9:00 p.m. so she could copy my credit card for the tax exempt issue. Strange request and when we went down with it and my company I.D., my husband was concerned because the clerk took an inordinately long time to copy the credit card. Needless to say, I'll have my company's accounting dept. on the lookout for fraudulent charges.

When I got up the next day, the bill left under my door had, guess what, tax charges on it! AND, there was a charge for $52.00 worth of laundry which was most definitely inaccurate. I was only there one night and most certainly did not ask for any laundry to be done. I called down to the desk and was assured these problems would be taken care of. When I went by the front desk one last time upon checking out, the clerk furtively checked with her manager, looking at me as if I were some sort of criminal, because the taxes finally had been deducted. No one apologized for these mistakes and both employees looked at me as if I were some sort of fool. My husband and I were treated like second class citizens from the moment we arrived. Everyone in the place had their noses so far up in the air they could not be bothered to apologize for any of the billing issues I had or the room, which was another issue entirely.

When we arrived to the room, there was a funky smell like dirty tennis shoes. The bellman opened the balcony door and claimed he smelled nothing. It seemed to clear out a bit but an awful head shop incense wafted into the room from below. I shut the balcony door wondering why the hotel did not do something about the shop with the awful incense. After shutting the door that funky scent was back. I was tired and wanted dinner so I sprayed a large amount of my own expensive niche perfume all over the room about 3 times and finally got rid of the odor.

Then we went to dinner, which was good, but nothing to write home about. Our fish was slightly overcooked, not enough to send back but I expect perfection from a place like this.
They do make a good mojito, though. The thing that really bugged me was that the tables outside on the terrace had scented candles that smelled like the stinky patchouli incense I had smelled in our room. It was dreadful. Why anyone would put a scented candle on a restaurant table where it will interfere with the diner's palettes and enjoyment of the smells of the food is beyond me. These awful scented candles were burning in the lobby, too. I don't care if these candles came from Diptyque in Paris they smelled terrible and cheapened the restaurant and the whole hotel terribly in my opinion. I felt like I was in a bad 60's movie.

After we got back to the room, the smell of which I had salvaged with my perfume, my husband started to sit down in the upholstered chair and it had four large stains on it and the hassock that looked like something that should not have been on a chair. By this time we were really tired after an 8 hour drive and we just put a towel over the chair, read a bit and went to bed. Yes, I could have asked for another room, but I was exhausted and most of all I should never have encountered these types of problems at a Ritz anyway- a smelly room and gross stains on a chair? This is the type of thing I would expect at a Motel 6, not a Ritz Carlton.

The saving grace was the staff at the pool and beach, who were fantastic. Thanks, guys! And the valet staff was excellent as well. However, all in all, this hotel was not even up to Marriott Fairfield Inn basic standards, much less to Ritz Carlton standards. The staff seemed embarrassed to mention that I was getting Marriott points for my stay and did not welcome me specially as a member of the Marriott Rewards program. These folks seemed embarrassed to be associated with Marriott. Marriott should be embarrassed to be associated with this hotel. This Ritz could use a big dose of the "can do" Marriott culture and a lot less of the "holier than thou" attitude I experienced. As a subscriber to Bill Marriott's blog, I know what he stands for and it is not this kind of incompetent nonsense.

Room Tip: Our room had a pretty view of the ocean and the rooms in the front over look the water.
7 Thank scoobytrips