“Typical Ritz”

The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The Ritz Carlton has a great location across the street from the beach. You can go to the lobby and cross at the cross walk or take the walk way from the pool level and take the elevator down. The pool overlooks the ocean so you can lay out by the pool and see the sand and surf without getting sandy. Pool had free water and even suntan lotion - nice touch. Rooms are great and I think they all have a balcony. There are many pubs, restaurants and shops within walking distance.

My biggest complaint is that the hotel does not have free coffee or a coffee maker in the rooms. It is a little thing, but I expect coffee from my hotels. There is also a charge for the internet.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 0TravelTime0
Write a ReviewReviews (1,654)

Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 6pm and brought to our upgraded room with beach view by the elevator.. Ding,ding, ding, is not what I want to hear for 4 days. We asked our bellman (who was very good) if we could have another room with beach view. We got a partial view, ( if you lean over the balcony you could see the ocean)..No problem except it was filthy, FILTHY, DIRTY..The carpet had black stains on it. You certainly would not go bare foot. The chase lounge had Huge stains on it,(Looked like pee) you would not want to sit on it. We called down to have it taken out of our room or replaced. We waited for an hour, NO ONE came. We called several times nothing!! My husband finally asked for a manager. She came up and concurred the room should not be occupied. Thanks to her we were moved to another room with a full ocean view. In all the years we have traveled we have NEVER moved 3 times.. This hotel needs major renovations. If your looking for a five star hotel look somewhere else. This is not it.. GO TO THE BREAKERS.. But if you are in Toronto, Canada stay at the Ritz it's 5 star.. PS the beds here are like sleeping on a rock. I think I bruised my hip...

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank jersygirl3
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband and I have stayed in this hotel on more than a few occasions. We love the location just off the beach and close to the slips of the marina. The service staff understands quality and while the hotel could use an infusion of cash to update soft goods and furnishings, we are always glad we chose to stay with this trusted hotel property. When selecting accommodations, both the ocean front and the intracoastal rooms offer excellent views.

Room Tip: Both the ocean front and the intracoastal rooms offer excellent views!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ReneeReview
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Our stay was on Jan. 3rd for 1 night. We chose the Ritz Carlton because it was my 40th birthday and was leaving on a cruise the next day. Good points:The valet, front desk and bell staff were wonderful. I left my phone in the car and the valet staff retrieved my phone and brought it to my room without hesitation. I was not expecting that whatsoever. We had an oceanview room. The view of the ocean and inter-coastal was lovely. Not so good points: The room decor was dated. The carpet was worn and dirty. Balcony chairs and table were faded and worn. Chair had a stain. The shower had a cheap shower head with basic settings. There were no handle bars in the shower. I can see getting in and out of the shower could be difficult with someone with knee or back problems. Since we were only staying one night, these were not deal breakers. Worse part: The walls are TOO THIN. You actually can hear your neighbors conversations(normal volume) in their room and bathroom.I am pretty sure they can hear ours. Since it was a Friday night, we were between rooms with people coming in late at night. It was so bad that you can hear your neighbor snoring. Unfortunately, we didn't get a good nights sleep. I been in better rooms in low costing brands. I had high hopes and was excited to stay at the Ritz for my first time. I was truly disappointed. I am sorry but I will not come back nor recommend this property.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Caprioguy
Reviewed 9 January 2014

There was no rain on our parade this visit to Ft. Lauderdale. Despite high winds and rain our stay at the Ritz was amazing. The room had an beautiful view of the ocean just over the pool. It was as super cozy and quiet and was conducive to sleeping in late. The staff in the Concierge Lounge were gracious hosts and breakfast everyday offered a great variety of delicious options for any finicky traveler. After one quick trip to the beach we made a mad dash back to the pool bar to dodge the rain. There we were able to sip on some of the best rum drinks I've had outside of Jamaica and check out the great view of a full rainbow over the ocean. Honestly, it was really difficult to leave.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

When I dropped my apple near the front desk and someone grabbed it before I could even get to it... When I asked for some extra shampoo and was provided extra shampoo every day without asking for it... When they saw that I was a regular customer and upgraded my room... I could go on and on. The experience of staying at the Ritz Carlton, in my opinion, justifies the price.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BigEaterandDrinker
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We chose to stay in Ritz Carlton before to come back to Europe. The location is perfect if you are taking a cruise. Just minutes away from Port Everglades. There is a wine cellar with a complete national and international wine list. The only blemish is the little room in the pool area for so many people.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple