“Not Ritz Carlton standards. Disappointing”

The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Montreal, Canada
“Not Ritz Carlton standards. Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I rarely write negative reviews but unfortunately I have to in this case. Perhaps my stay is an isolated incident but it was a comedy of events without anyone taking whole ownership of correcting our experience

Below is part of message I sent to hotel after our stay but never received a reply:

Our room that was assigned was nice, ocean facing however it had a very ‘musty’ smell to it. I was told that sometimes they get like that and to open the balcony door a bit to air it out, the bellman was very apologetic and extremely polite.

When we went to the balcony there were cigarettes and what I am pretty sure was a joint. I left them all there and did not touch them. There was also two wine glasses half drank with lipstick on one. My guess all from the previous guests. They were all in plain sight.

When we went to try to order room service we couldn’t because the phones didn’t work in the room. The technician came and did his best to fix the phone even bringing entirely new phones but no luck. He was very polite and apologetic. In the end it was late in the day and he couldn’t repair it, he offered us a free movie for the kids but it was too late at this point and we needed to head out, grab food and put them to bed. I do believe he did do his best. The room however should have been checked before we arrived, at this point we had unpacked and it would have added to frustration by moving rooms.

There was an orange haze on the bottom of the bathtub. Either left over from rusty water or perhaps a type of sun tan lotion either way it was not part of tub for sure. We had our daughters shower rather than bath.

The overall state of the room was not a Ritz Carleton level, when I was checking out lady at the front desk asked about our stay and I told her about my disappointment. She offered to pay for our breakfast which was a nice gesture and I accepted.

The day we arrived the pool was closed, the whole day. We later found out it was a sanitary issue outside of your control but we were somewhat disappointed.

If I were to rate the politeness and professionalism of communication I would say 9/10. However problem solving with respect to customer experience a 3/10. The state of the room would probably have been a 4-5/10 for a Ritz Carleton.

The only reason I didn't mark it a "Terrible" above is because the staff was extremely polite.

FOR MARRIOT REARDS MEMBERS:
When I asked for an upgrade I was told that only paid upgrades were available, there was availability but that since I booked using my points I was not eligible. I was also told the hotel was not at capacity. Since we were only there one night I didn’t mind too much but found it puzzling, I have never been told that at other Ritz Carlton properties.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank roadwar1
christine c, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Roadwr1,
Thank you for taking the time to post a feedback of your recent visit on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comment as they help us always to be the best that we can, and to be responsive to our guests.Feedback is extremely important to us. I thank you for bringing to my attention your concerns about the bathtub, phone and the cleanliness of the balcony. I am truly sorry that you experienced several issues during your stay, some issues that should have been resolved right away. I would be most appreciative for the opportunity to discuss them with you directly. Please feel free to contact me at 954.465.2300 at your convenience.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Kind regards,

Greg Cook

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Bridgman, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed a week at the Ritz….nice but not excellent. Very surprised at the lack of cleanliness, from the room to the lanai they have cleaning opportunities. The staff was friendly and helpful, location was very nice and rooms average size. Pool and pool service was great. The walkway bridge to the beach has a horrific smell- they need to close the bridge until the smell is gone (I think CVS was having an issue which caused the stench).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PracticingTourist
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We had a great stay at this Ritz Carlton in Fort Lauderdale.

Check In: We arrived at a very busy time and they had plenty of valet staff to keep things moving smoothly and to greet us. We had reserved and ocean view room and were given a suite on the 7th floor. Beautiful room, two bathrooms, bar area, dining table, living room, then separate bedroom with large bathroom. The bellman that took us to our room was great.

We were celebrating our 20th anniversary on this trip and once we unpacked in our room, went to the pool and came back, a large chocolate dessert and bottle of Chardonnay were waiting for us. Very nice touch.

Pool: First thing we did was to head to the pool which was right outside our sliding door. The bartender was friendly and we ordered two cocktails and sat in the chairs overlooking the ocean. The pool staff was excellent during our stay.

Dinner: Oh how I wish we could remember our server's name. He was EXCELLENT. Very tall guy? We sat outside, it was so nice. At dessert he brought us a very special dessert and two glasses of champagne. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was the best.

Breakfast: Breakfast was included in our stay and we had oatmeal and berries from the buffet. They were fine, we didn't order anything else so not sure about the quality of the rest of the breakfast items. What we had worked for us.

Stay: We had a very quiet room.

Checkout: Couldn't be easier. Our flight wasn't until late in the day and we checked out at noon. We had our bags stored, sat at by the pool til it was time to go, used the shower facilities at the pool and caught our flight. Easy!

Management - rest assured, you have a great staff at this location.

Last time we stayed at another hotel that we thought would be nice and it was absolutely chaotic and a pretty horrid stay. So glad we picked the Ritz Carlton this time.

Room Tip: Reserve an ocean view!
1 Thank SeattleD_7
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton Fort Lauderdale after a completing a cruise. We have stayed in other hotels in this area, and the Ritz Carlton surpasses any of the others by a large margin. Our room was a one bedroom suite overlooking the ocean. The room was well appointed and bed was very comfortable. I had read other reviews regarding this hotel indicating the beds were not comfortable, however, we found the opposite to be true. I also read some reviews regarding noise from the pool area, but again, we found the opposite to be the case. I have rated this hotel a 4 out of 5 (this is high for me), and would have given it a 5 out of 5 if a few items were fixed. We found the carpet within the room to be quite dirty, and a few of the fixtures within the room were a bit worn. I know this sounds petty, but given the room rate that we paid, and the reputation of Ritz Carlton, I would expect this sort of thing to taken care of.

The common areas of the hotel (pool, spa, lobby, restaurants) were very clean, and well equipped. In addition, all staff members that we dealt with were very helpful, courteous, and friendly.

We will definitely stay at this hotel again ... most likely within the year ... and I sincerely hope the small deficiencies that we found are corrected.

1 Thank JetJunkie
Brookline, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We love Ritz hotels. They are chic, elegant and full of comfortable and palatable amenities. Having stayed in a few around the world, I have to agree with other reviewers about there being something different about this location. We were not bothered as much from noise, even though there was a family with small kids in the adjacent room. Our room was overlooking the pool and because it closed at 6PM, there was no noise at night. Even the noise from Beach Place which is an outdoor entertainment complex next door to the hotel was very well kept out. All the restaurant and bar staff were courteous although few changes to breakfast staff would be befitting. The pool is great for kids since its deepest point is 4ft 2in and relatively small. The beach however was perfect. It seemed to me like the pool staff was reserving chairs and shades, I am guessing for certain guests. Only after pressing the pool boy, we were able to get one of the reserved but unused umbrellas for our use. The sky bridge from the pool to the beach was out of operation during our stay which caused some inconvenience. The lounge chair in our room was literally filthy. It had stains all over it. I called the reception right away but they only covered over it with a bed sheet! This was the low-light of our stay! Final thoughts on this location is that it is good if you plan to stick to a beach vacation. For us, it would have been better to keep our original reservations at Boca Raton Resort since we enjoy the wide range of delightful experiences Boca has to offer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Erik E
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We just returned from a fantastic long weekend at the Ritz Carlton Ft Lauderdale. It was our first time at this property and I can’t say enough great things about our stay.
First we were welcomed by an awesome team of valets/bellman. These guys went out of their way the entire weekend to ask us how we were doing or assist us in directions or getting a car. They were always extremely friendly, helpful and kind.

We had an 8th floor pool/ocean view.. and never had any problem with noise from the pool at any time of the day. The room and the bathroom were both large, clean and very comfortable.

The pool area was a bit of a challenge to get chairs and service was a little slow but overall it was still a great time. Many people get up at the crack of dawn to reserve chairs and don’t show up for hours. I do wish the hotel would change the policy to not allow chairs to sit unused for so long. I will say that the guys that set the chairs went out of their way to make people happy and get everything set up for them and their families. Sadly I rarely saw people bother to tip. I find that a shame. It doesn’t matter what the price of the hotel may be, you still should tip for good service as you would in any fine restaurant. I was never once made to feel that tips were expected by any staff member, as mentioned in a previous review, but I can tell you we were very happy to reward the staff for excellent service.

The highlight of our stay was our time at the club lounge. There was always a great variety of snacks and beverages available including alcohol. The staff was beyond magnificent. Sammi, Emily, Cindy and Stephanie, just to name a few, went out of their way to constantly make sure we had everything we needed and were also a great resource for dining suggestions etc. These ladies are a huge asset to this property. Based on this say we will always book the club level on future visits.

We took our two dogs with us and I must say this property is very pet friendly and all of the staff went out of their way to make us feel very welcome with our pets.

Overall it was an excellent stay and we look forward to our return, which we have already booked!

3 Thank travelcrazy45
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were visiting the Hotel having flown in from London. We had booked ocean view deluxe rooms x 3. The rooms varied a lot with the lower floor room (floor 8) having a small room footprint but a larger terrace with a sun bed on it. The corner room on floor 11 was much bigger and had lots of windows whilst the room on the 12th floor was medium size with a small balcony. All rooms were booked at the same time at exactly the same price but varied considerably. I think that the lower floor room with the large balcony was best EXCEPT if they have music by the pool going on into the night. On Friday night we went out for dinner and arrived back at 9.30pm (which felt very late given that we have just flown in from Europe with a 5 hour time difference). In all of the rooms it was impossible to sleep until the disco by the pool finished. In the room on the 8th floor which was just above the pool you literally could not have a conversation it was so loud! All rooms were clean and well appointed and comfortable. Staff were friendly but expected a gratuity to do anything for you. Valet parking is US$35 per night and the staff still expect a gratuity every time they bring or collect the car and $5 a time did not see them hurrying! Turndown service was always late so 2 nights out of 4 we did not have it. I think that I would hesitate to come back unless I was here with an expense account. Having paid US$560 per night for Thursday and US$629 per night for Friday and Saturday you should not have to put your hand in your pocket for everything. No coffee facilities in the room, you have to walk down to the lobby and buy it from the lobby shop. Always luke warm but room service cost an arm and a leg and took a long time to come.

Room Tip: Ocean view deluxe rooms vary widely so be specific about what you want when you book. Large balcony...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank mhbeowner
christine c, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Mhbeowner,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of your recent visit to The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale. It is unfortunate to learn we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your comments as they help us always be the best we can. Please know that your satisfaction is very important to us and would be most grateful for the opportunity to personally speak to you about your overall experience. Please feel free to contact me directly at 954.465.2300; at your convenience, should you wish to discuss your stay further.
We hope that you will give us another opportunity to visit our beautiful property again!

Warm regards,