“Definitely Coming Back!”

Alcazar Resort
Chicago, Illinois
“Definitely Coming Back!”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Our first trip to Ft. Lauderdale was relaxing and memorable because of the staff of the Alcazar and Worthington Resorts. Retro south Florida guesthouses two short blocks walk from the amazing beach. The entire resort - pool area, guest room, breakfast area, and seating areas - were immaculately kept. Much cleaner than other resorts where we've stayed in the past. We've added Ft. Lauderdale to our list of places to return and we'll be booking a room at the Alcazar.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PaulnDavid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
West Jordan, Utah
Reviewed 16 June 2012

The resort is your average old looking hotel in south Florida but everything has been remolded to a very nice tropical look. It does look amazing Always something new going on but very respectful to all the guests. I had a problem with my reservation that was totally my fault and the the person on call drove down on his own time to help me find a place to stay near by.(The front desk closes and a late hour and opens up early)It is by far the best place we have stayed in on the east coast and will go back again . I hope this is helpful to anyone thinking of staying here.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jaynbutch
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Another great trip to the Alcazar/Worthington. Staff is friendly and attentive. Resort gets better every time we go. Guest are friendly. I like to stay on the Alcazar side as is a little quieter and can alway wander over to the Worthington side. I'm looking forward to my next trip!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Stayed at the Worthington/Alcazar guesthouse for 3 nights in March and had a great time. The property is well maintained and service is excellent. I stayed on the Alcazar side which appeared to be a bit more quiet but that is just an impression and not one based on fact as I was not sleeping on the Worthington side. The Worthington pool is much busier during the day but if you want some great peace and quiet the Alcazar pool is fantastic!

My only minor criticism is that the bed linens in the rooms are in desperate need of upgrading. I seem to recall others have made this comment and they are correct. The bed sheets and duvet covers really need to be replaced as they are a bit threadbare.

However, the facility is beautifully landscaped, it's a very social atmosphere and very convenient to the beach.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
jdurhanFt_Lauderdale, Owner at Alcazar Resort, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you for your kind words. I have called in my head housekeeper with respect to the linens. We very recently upgraded all bed linens at both buildings and no longer use duvets covers. We purchased all new High thread count sheets, new feather lite duvet blankets that get folded between two top sheets, Bed scarfs and new pillows. I will find out why you had that experience, it should not have happened. My apologies.
Jim Durhan
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I had a nice time there. The property is in excellent shape, and the owners work their butts off to keep it that way. The staff was great, the front desk was great. Very helpful and professional. We get used to being treated poorly and putting up with trashy rooms at resorts like this, and it's a refreshing change dealing with this property. I enjoyed the room, the amenities, the fellow guests, the layout of the place, the location, the quality of furnishings, the price per night, etc. I can't think of a better place to spend Christmas next year.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Very good experience. Nice folks, clean rooms, beautiful grounds, pool and hot tub. Will go again

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 10 August 2011

My partner and I had never visited Ft. Lauderdale before this summer, and we were so pleased when we realized we booked the perfect place to stay. When I am on vacation I don't much care to have women and children around, and I don't much care to have to wear clothes when I don't have to, so I always make it a point to book at clothing optional men-only resorts. I have stayed at many, many of these types of places over the years, and this was among the best.

We were immediately impressed by the warm welcome we received. Lots of useful tips were given by the friendly desk staff, and they actually gave us a personal tour of the property and showed us right to our room. This is unheard of, and w loved it. We noticed that as guests checked in this was standard practice. Despite what some reviewers here have said, the rooms were spacious, comfortable, and had some powerful air conditioning (a must during southern Florida summer time).

The crowd was just perfect. Not too old and not too young. Mostly guys in their 30s and 40s, just like us (we're both turning 40 next year). No attitude, very laid back. Hotel management and cleaning staff were consistently friendly, were there if we needed them but otherwise stayed out of our way and let us relax. The best part was that on Saturday evening, they have a free happy hour, in which they serve beer and wine with cheese and crackers to the guests. I thought it was a nice extra gesture and very classy. Of course, most of us were sloshed out of our minds, which was kind of the point. We loved it.

I have only two quick recommendations. i know the owner is going to hate me for this, but I have to agree the daily breakfast felt a little chintzy. it seems that they're really restricted by the county on what they can do, which is understandable, and the goodies are free to the guests, so beggars really can't be choosey. Still, it would help add a touch of class to invest in some insulated coffee servers and up the variety of fruit and pastries available. get a little mini-fridge for the breakfast area, so we don't feel like we're invading someone's kitchen to grab some juice or yogurts.

The second is including an out-door toilet near the pools. Since they're open 24 hours (which was AWESOME), its kind of a pain to have to travel up and downstairs every time I have to pee, especially since I am drinking lots of beer (what can I say?). I know I am being super nit-picky, but it was just a thought I had.

Don't worry. The first day we were there (we stayed five nights) we already knew we would be back again and again. Keep up the great work, guys!

Room Tip: Book a downstairs room if possible. The upstairs desks are exposed to the outside world, so one has...