“what wonderful people, laid back, terrific service GREAT FOOD”

Sun Tower Hotel & Suites on the beach
hartland
“what wonderful people, laid back, terrific service GREAT FOOD”
Reviewed 9 February 2011

so i realize this is not the most posh hotel on the beach. but i have to say that we would take the friendly, welcoming and laid back atmosphere of this pace over the more expensive hotel we have stayed at next door for the last five years.

frankly, we followed Amanda over to the Sun Towers from the Pelican Grand. Not because she found us, but I was lucky enough to find out she had moved there. I had my doubts at first when we drove up, but the pool area was so great, the people ... everyone from the house keeping staff, to Chris -- the master of the kitchen -- to Mike in the bar were just so spectacular. As well as Laurene, the server at the restaurant was so sweet.

i can understand the previous reviewers comments about the rooms next to the grill, etc, but I would just suggest that you ask not to have that room. Don't let it deter you from finding this gem. The rooms are not totally fancy, and the beds are a bit soft, but they are comfortable. Mostly, we are people that truly appreciate service, friendliness and more of a home like and laid back atmosphere, so minor imperfections were easy to overlook.

As i write this now, I have my huge sliding glass doors on the 6th floor open so I can see and hear the ocean....

can't wait to come back!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Well, I booked this hotel knowing a few things: 1. It had good reviews here on trip advisor (which is very important to me) and 2. We knew we were gonna have to move rooms every night of our 3 night stay due to me booking this hotel about 3 weeks prior to our visit...and were totally fine with it--not a big deal to us.
So here's the deal...we get off our cruise and were totally exhausted, checked into the hotel and were given room 913. This room was the biggest nightmare possible. Yes, it has a patio on the ground floor that overlooks the ocean, but it's public...and right next to their restaurant. We had a 2 and 4 year old running and screaming on our patio right outside our sliding door until late, not to mention the loud party at the restaurant that evening. The restaurant patrons even laughed at us when we poked our heads out our patio door and said to us, "we feel so sorry for whoever has this room". YES, sorry indeed, VERY LOUD! The other problem with this room is it's truly on the other side of the wall from the kitchen!! So we heard every pot, pan, and dish being washed and thrown around until midnight. There was no toilet paper holder at all in the bathroom as the TP just roll sat on the floor...ick. There were 2 tiny lamps left to light up this entire large suite and it was too dim even to read. There were no shelves in the shower to sit shampoo bottles on, and all the electric outlets were loose and old. The 2 queen beds were quite mushy, which was ok, I like a soft bed, but my husband with back problems does not. The private beach is lovely, the restaurant was tasty, but overpriced. The upfront staff not terribly friendly or helpful as I was led to believe when I booked over the phone with Chris, who was very nice.
Night 2: The staff moved our bags to their "partial" (if you call barely seeing a sliver of ocean, partial) ocean view room, 910 (right behind the office) It was a king bed with newer looking furniture, flat screen TV, better looking bathroom, and laminate flooring. The bed was more comfortable, and in this room the wifi was actually free (which they don't tell you and try to charge you $5/day for--I was told over the phone during booking that wifi at this hotel was completely free) because the only place you can use Wifi for free is around the pool and at the office. Since this room literally is behind the office it ended up being free....they might have been nice and told us that instead of trying to squeeze a measley $5 out of us for internet, but whatever. Free Wifi is a huge bonus to us to keep in touch with our kids while gone, and you come to expect it at most nice hotels anymore. The most troubling thing about this room is that you could tell it had been newly remodeled and the smoke detector on the wall over the bed had been spackled over and painted over!! NOT WORKING! Yikes! This room was right by the pool, and thank goodness it was cool and noone was swimming, otherwise it would have been really loud.
Night 3:
We were told this night we would have an ocean suite on the 3rd floor, room 933. We checked out of the previous room early so they could get us moved into our new room promptly, as we had planned on spending our last day in Ft. Lauderdale primarily at the hotel lounging on the private beach. We stood in line forever in the tiny office to exchange room keys and when we finally got there at 1pm, we were told that our room wouldn't be ready until 3pm (we had checked out of the previous room at 8:30am!) We were told during the booking process over the phone that the whole room moving issue would be no problem. The older gentleman at the desk was rather curt, but assured us they were going to clean our new room right away. We waited for an hour and a half...when we were told our new room was given priority...come to find out, it was not. We wasted our time for nothing. After much frustration we checked into our room to find the king size bed was a marshmallow, the tissue cover in the bathroom was filthy and old. There was no strip separating the tile in the bathroom from the carpet in the bedroom and I stepped on a tack in the flooring coming out of the bathroom!! There was no stopper in the sink or the bathtub, it just looked totally old and yucky. The bathroom door was warped and didn't shut all the way, and the paint was chipped and the white door was scuffed and really dirty. The wicker bedroom furniture was old and scratched up and the balcony was extremely tiny, barely enough room for 2 people to sit out on. We then went to the office to grab a couple of beach towels and the same day manager was badmouthing us to someone on the phone that was the manager, "Christine" whoever she is, then he told us to make sure we brought back the towels to the office (could housekeeping not get them out of our room for Pete's sake?? Was he afraid we were going to steal the old striped towels he handed us??) Ridiculous.
The view is lovely, the room was clean, it was just not as nice as I expected for the money. Yes, you are on the beach, and YES--you get what you pay for.
Here is my issue...for the loud old junky room on the first night we paid $179 (Friday), for the next night in the partial ocean view $159 (Saturday) and the last night $198 (Sunday) for the King with the balcony on the 3rd floor. Now, we were told at the time of booking that we would be given a 10% discount for moving rooms each night, and that was much appreciated. When we asked about the discount upon check out, the night person (one of the Chris'--not sure which) was quite condescending to my husband that "yes, it's right there on the receipt, that's what it shows, doesn't it? (as an episode of Cops blared in the background in the office) Yes, the discount had been given, but especially for the crappy room that we stayed in Friday night, it was highway robbery and I expressed this to Chris. He was nice and asked me if we would be back to Florida soon, I advised possibly over the summer with our children, but would not be staying there, and he asked what he could do to make it right....he offered me a credit of $50 back for Friday night's room. I accepted and we were on our way, we had to get on to the airport for an early flight, and I didn't have time to express my total dissatisfaction with our experience here as a whole. I appreciated his gesture of the credit, but frankly was just so let down by this place. The beach is so nice, I loved it, the restaurant was yummy. But, frankly the service at the hotel, the uppity, can't-be-bothered attitude from some (not all, Amanda and Colin were nice) of the desk attendants was really disheartening. We love to travel and took great time and care picking this place out and were so totally fine with moving rooms 3 times just to stay here, but all-in-all ended up dissappointed. :( We prefer smaller more quaint places, as they usually excel in customer service and personal one on one kindness. We just didn't experience that here. I will say the waitresses in the restaurant were very sweet and the housekeeper that finally cleaned our last room was kind as well. A couple of other things that weren't great, is that there aren't enough parking spots at this resort, and you are forced to park next to and in front of the dumpster, even though it says not to. There are two public restrooms on the bottom floor by the pool and both smelled like someone had died in them. Bottom line, we are going back to Ft. Lauderdale this Summer and will stay elsewhere.

4 Thank dryfly412
Alameda, California
Reviewed 27 January 2011

We had a wonderful stay at Sun Towers. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the view was indescribable! But most impressive was the staff....we truly felt like family. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We didn't want to leave. It felt like home! We will definitely recommend Sun Towers to our friends.

london
Reviewed 25 January 2011

Great location but very unhelpful front office staff. Not able to change $100 dollar bill. no facilies after 11 a.m. for departing guests. Stand up argument in reception for half an hour with female client. Don't be fooled by the rictus smiles!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank shackletonLondon
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2011

My wife and I just returned from 4 nights at Sun Tower. Frankly we could stay anywhere and have at much more expensive hotels, but we prefer smaller, more intimate facilities.
We had a suite because our goal was simply to relax and re-energize after the holidays and it provided this in terms of amenites and space.

Everyone was very friendly and as helpful as one could ever wish, without being at all bothersome. Beds are extremely comfortable and rooms are clean. Pool area felt like our own as we could find our own little area to read a book and enjoy the sun. The beach is perfect in depth and size, is well maintained via a tractor with cleaning equipment which runs every morning. The food is quite basic which is what I expected due to the hotel's size, but always very well prepared by wonderful staff.

If you are non pretentious, enjoy lovely, quality well maintained surroundings, staffed by people who are more like friends than staff ... then go to Sun Tower.... we are already rebooking for the end of March.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 18 January 2011

I can't say enough positive things about the Sun Tower & Suites. We had an ocean view suite, which was lovely. A huge, comfortable bed, nice sitting area with a hideaway bed and kitchenette. Clean as clean could be. The staff was terrific, and very patient with our curious 2 year old. I will definitely stay there again if I ever get back to Ft. Lauderdale. Every morning beach chairs were set up nicely, the rooms were cleaned early in the day. We never had anything but the most helpful service whenever we asked for anything.

Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We only had one night here and I wish we booked more. They upgraded us to a suite. The oceanview was wonderful! The pool was heated but it could have been warmer due to the the cool weather they were having. Our room was very big and clean. The bed was comfortable. They had TV's in the living room and bedroom. The hotel has a happy hour but it is just beer and wine. We walked to the hotel next store, The Pelican Grand and we found a great Happy Hour with our favorite cocktails and 1/2 price food, entertaiment and we meet great people too. I really did like the hotel I booked. They had free parking also!