“One of the best cuban restaurant in Fort Lauderdale!”
Review of El Tamarindo Cafe

El Tamarindo Cafe
Ranked #202 of 1,350 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Cuisines: South American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I went to El Tamarindo Café yesterday for dinner. It was so good!
The employees were very friendly and smiling.
There was a great choice of dishes on the menu, as well as some specialties.
My husband ate the mariscada soup (seafood soup with mussels, clams, shrimps, scallops and more...). The portion was big and there was a side of rice included. This soup was so tasteful!
Then he ate a corn tamales (steamed specialty): I tasted a bit and it was a discovery for me. Very tasty,soft and flavorful. Then, for dessert he chose an order of maduros (sweet plantains) which were so good too.
As for me, I ate the ceviche: even if it was considered as a "starter", the plate was big. In the ceviche there was a great choice of different fish and seafood. Very good!
So, to sum up: delicious Cuban restaurant with a very tasty food and big portions.
And by the way, the prices are very low! We paid less than $50US for 2 people (beer included).
We will come back surely in a few days!
I STRONGLY recommend this restaurant. It is a "MUST-GO" to enjoy a delicious meal...

1  Thank Eliselev

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We returned to El Tamarindo after 2 years and found nothing had changed, great friendly service, good food and drink. The Appetizer Sample was big enough for 4. I enjoyed the Tamerando special and the pork piccata was a hit. Dinner for 4 with a bottle of wine and 2 beers for under $100. We will return!

1  Thank SteveS1
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Food was excellent. Employees very nice. Will be back. There was nothing to dislike and the prices were very good.

1  Thank Lynn R
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Sometimes it rocks, sometimes it flops. Tonight was a big flop - the food AND the service AND the attitude! Hubbie ordered a burger - it looked great, but when he picked it up, the bun was so soggy from the grease (ugh) - he cut it in half and managed to eat half, but the oil that was on his plate from it, and the bun was like it had been dipped in water - he just couldn't eat any more. I ordered the veggie burrito which was HUGE and very good (would recommend for vegetarians and vegans). Guacamole was way too spicy though, couldn't eat it - sour cream was liquid and runny, not like sour cream at all. Anyway, nobody came to ask us how our meal was (or else hubby would have mentioned something about his burger) - and at the end, when the waitress came to ask if we were done, I asked her for a box for half of my burrito, and when she pointed at his burger on his place, I told her my husband couldn't eat it as it was too greasy, the bun was dripping with grease, and no thanks, we didn't want a box for it. She went straight off and asked the manager to come over - he came over and asked what the problem was, I said "she asked us if we wanted a box for it, but my husband can't eat it, it's just full of grease, it's not really edible, so we don't want a box." He just walked away - didn't say a thing! He could see that it was left on the plate and should have asked if we wanted anything instead, but no, he just walked away. There were no smiles from the waitress, she acted like she was doing us a favor by waiting on us - tonight it was a total bust. If it had been my first visit, I would say "no, we won't be back."

However, two weeks ago we went, and my husband had chicken (I forget which one), I had the most AMAZING tuna salad, a fabulous glass of pinot noir - service was good - food was out of the ball park - it was wonderful - so that's why we went back. The menu has a great selection too - good variety - including some great Italian dishes - but just know that you could have a GREAT experience, or a DISMAL experience too. It's hit or miss. If you find something you like, stick with it - next time we go (and we WILL be going back), it will be back to chicken and tuna salad.

Tonight, the manager's attitude surprised me - when someone has a complaint about your food, you don't just walk away without saying a word. And the waitress never checking on us too or asking us how it was - we were ignored unless we actively flagged her down. Yes she was busy (it was almost packed) but she was absolutely charmless, not a smile, not an ounce of friendliness - like I said, not a good night. My burrito had been good yes, but overall, we didn't leave with a good feeling (unlike two weeks ago).

So I'm giving it a middle of the road rating, because two weeks ago I would have given it four stars, tonight I would have given it two. So three stars it is. And we will be back! Easy parking too. Try it - there's someone for everyone, and it's like that poem about the little girl with the little curl - when it's good, it's VERY good. When it's not, well, it's really very much not.

1  Thank chewedpup
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This was our second visit to this restaurant. Visited last year for lunch per recommendation from our hotel, and were very pleased. This time not so pleased -- partly because they sat us next to the bathroom when there was clearly other seating available; also the waitress appeared impatient and not friendly -- big turn-offs!
We asked to be moved and they did accommodate. Shortly after it became very crowded and they seemed to have a hard time keeping up. Food was just okay --not as good as I remembered from last year. With all of the great restaurants to choose from during our short visits to the FLL area, this one gets crossed off our list..