“Fantastic Hidden Gem”

Ranked #4 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
“Fantastic Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Our hotel experience here was terrific!! I hate to say something is a hidden gem, because it usually means in the future that SO many people will discover it and it won't be hidden anymore... Having said that, over our 5 day stay, Robert the owner was SO helpful and the service was SO good, the hotel deserves an excellent rating.

Yes, they are doing renovations. If the possible noise may bother you, ask about it when you call to make a reservation. It will depend on where in the hotel the renovation is going on and where your room is. Personally, we heard NOTHING and slept incredibly well. Btw, our bed was outrageously comfortable and the room was clean & pretty and maintained every day. Our desk chair had been damaged slightly by a previous guest and as soon as I told Dave (at reception), he replaced it immediately.

We were staying at OHM in the days leading up to our beach wedding, which took place in sight of the hotel and prior to our stay, they had even recommended that we have our wedding dinner at Casablanca Cafe (next door). We did and were thrilled with the proximity of the hotel, wedding site and restaurant.

Robert and his staff did everything to provide great service in any way that they could. Understandably there may be times in which a service provider has to say "no" to a customer, but if there was a way to be helpful, everyone (including the cleaning staff) was.

No matter where you stay, have realistic expectations of what you are "buying". This place isn't The Hilton, there is no pool or restaurant on the property and there isn't any (food) room service. BUT, if you want a great, comfy & clean room, in a terrific location (fyi-Starbucks next door/opens at 6am) and you want to deal with GOOD people who enjoy giving great service (not chain-hotel service clones)....THIS is the place for you.

Thanks so much to Robert and Dave and the lovely housekeeper, for making our pre-wedding week as relaxing as possible!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lunallena2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Chillicothe, Ohio
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I am actually in hospitality and instead of staying with my brand I decided to go out on a limb and try this hotel. They are actually going through a renovation. It sorta like a hidden gem. The people there are really nice and helpful. While its not a Hyatt or Hilton its not bad, but if your looking for something along the beach for a very affordable price this is a great place. I don't think I would change anything about our stay except to stay a week longer! I would defiantly stay here in again. Thanks for a great vacation!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Dee99GT
Biggar, Scotland
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Super clean & very nicely refurbished & in the most excellent location. Great value for money and I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Free parking too. A great find and highly recommended for the price we paid.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank Lyn S
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed here for a night before heading to the Dominican Republic, it's close to the Fort Lauderdale Airport and in a perfect location across from the beach also in walking distance to night life, restaurants and a 24 hour CVS pharmacy. I checked in later than expected due to a delayed flight, the guy at the front desk stayed late to make sure I arrived in one piece and to welcome me, great customer service! I was upgraded to a larger room with kitchenette and a beautiful view of the beach (room 201), what a nice treat!! I would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Drea012
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The location is really great and we really enjoyed our 3 day stay. Ben the office clerk is a really friendly guy. We really liked Robert the owner and like what he is doing to improve the hotel. The room was very clean and the 2 king beds in the room were very comfortable.
The free parking and the free internet were a nice touch.
Being so close to the beach and shops and restaurants was also very nice.
If you want a 4 or 5 star hotel this isn't for you.
A good price in nice surroundings is what you get.
Hope to stay there again when I am in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jimkip
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Rating this 5* in the context of the price. Construction going on from 9am->5pm probably helped me get a better rate.

What can I say, I'm generally pretty cheap when it comes to staying at places. Sure, I enjoy luxury but come on... how long am I going to be in my room? Just enough to sleep.

I got a remodeled room, not bad. So fresh you can still smell the Volatile Organic Compounds a bit but not intolerable (for me) by any means, someone with finicky chemical sensitivities might have issues (shrug). Beds are nice for the price, good pillows. The door needs to be remodeled/repainted (scuff marks - I don't care though I'm a "clean scumbag" so it puts me right at home. The shower comes top-down, I'm 6'6" so this was PERFECT! Parking is rough down in this area but they hook you up with a free spot if you've got a car.

The staff is extremely friendly and personable ... reminds me of the very personable people I met in St Petersburg (unlike most of the people I meet here in Ft Lauderdale). Would stay here again for sure! My friend lives nearby so it was super convenient. Love having the beach right across the street. Careful, if you're a straight guy and don't want to hang out in the unofficial "gay section" of the beach, walk south down to the next 2 lifeguard towers ... nobody told me this, had to ask around to find out haha, hilarious ::shrug:: I have no hangups, just not my thing... so whatever! Makes for a good story.

Room Tip: I had a non-ocean view room, because really what do I care I only go to my room to sleep.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Pat S
California
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Chose this hotel based on the Trip Advisor reviews and the perfect location. Right across the street from beach in Central Beach. You can walk to Beach Place, bars, restaurants...everywhere. Our room was on the 4th floor, not yet remodeled. Didn't matter. Great room, ocean view, quiet, clean, had a mini frig and was a great price. We arrived late and had a lockbox with our key on the door. Super easy. The BBQ and deck were well used by us. Had a lot of fun there. Free parking too. This place is a deal. Once they complete the remodeling the place will be even better...if possible. : )

Room Tip: High floors have ocean views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple