“The BEST place to stay in Ft Lauderdale- absolutely loved it and will be back!”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #26 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend the first week in May for five nights. Very modern, upscale, fun hotel with a great location and amazing amenities. We want to thank the staff who went out of their way to assist us - we enjoyed the complimentary car, thank you Elijah for such wonderful service - the spa was amazing, and we loved the restaurants and pool areas. The last night we stayed the manager upgraded us to a fabulous oceanside suite - WE LOVE THIS HOTEL and WILL BE BACK!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
LauraHarrington, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Susienad4 - Thank you for the kind words. Glad to hear you and your boyfriend enjoyed the hotel. Next time you're up for fun in the sun, we would love to welcome you back! Safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,165)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We checked into this hotel late and checked out early. In that little time frame the place was great. Very elegant and clean. Clear glass shower dividing the room.

The view of the ocean was beautiful with a nice deck. We got this cheap on an internet web site for 90 taxes in!! We did order room service and it was more then the cost of the room. Very nice place.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
LAMBET28 - Although you were not here for very long, I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay at W Fort Lauderdale. We would like to welcome you back and perhaps stay a little longer to enjoy the amenities, outlets, and more views of the Atlantic from the balcony! Warm Wishes.
Seatle
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I was on my way back from vacation in the Carribbean and had a 24 hour lay over in Ft. Lauderdale. I went on priceline to find a place on the beach and the W fit the criteria for me. Absolutly beautiful place. Super modern and cozy. I was upgraded to a ocean view room with an open balcony. The staff was great. The pool was beyond incredible it was one of a kind with a plexiglass staicase coming up thru the pool! There were some minor annoyances Parking is $30 a day and I was not told about this when I booked. Wifi in the room is 14.00 and the bar food was nothing special. Other than that the included breakfast was really good and the room was out of this world. You will love the stay here. Beware of the in room snacks they are yummy and very $$$$. The location is the best . Have fun at this superior hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dentgregg
LauraHarrington, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Dentgregg - Thank you for the nice comments. I'm thrilled you had a positive experience after your Carribbean getaway. All of the hotel information, such as parking rates and check in/out times, are readily available on the hotel's website. However, some of the third party booking sites do not have this information as easy to find. We look forward to seeing you again in South Florida. Warm Wishes.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Where to begin. This is my second time staying at this particular W Hotel and yet it impressed me just as much as the first time i stayed here. The signature ambient lighting, trendy ambient music pumping through speakers all over the hotel, and that signature aroma. Seriously, as weird as that sounds this may be the best smelling hotel I've ever stayed in. Every area of the hotel has this spa-like aroma that is so pleasing to the nose. The layout of the hotel is somewhat convoluted, but you'll get the hang of it. One minor irritant is that you need your key card to use the elevators (unless you're going to the ground floor) and to access most areas of the hotel. They probably do this to keep non-guests from accessing these areas, but it was still kinda annoying.

The room itself was spectacular. A great king-sized bed with the softest down comforter I've ever had. I do, however, have two small complaints with regards to the room.
1) I, and I think most people, would prefer a refrigerator as opposed to a mini bar. Open the Fiji water bottles in the room if you want (they cost about 8 bucks each), but I'd rather stock my room with some cold water or have a place to store any potential leftovers.
2) The shower. To put it succinctly, you better be very comfortable bathing in front of whomever you share the room with as the shower is enclosed by a clear glass pane on two sides. One side is, incredibly enough, facing the bed and the balcony. This means that anyone in the room can see you bathing should they be anywhere but in that small walkway by the front door. Sort of an odd design choice imo, but I guess it's this sort of design decision that separates the W from other hotels.

The pool is very impressive. The crowd by the pool picks up around 2pm, and wow are the people at this hotel odd looking. It's almost like they've all had some sort of plastic surgery. What made this all the more peculiar to me was that the age range of the people that had "work done" ran from people as young as 17 and as old as 60+. I guess that's a sign that this is a very posh hotel. If tiny bikinis covering enormous fake breasts are your thing, then you'll be in heaven. Oh yeah, if you're a car nut you should occasionally take a look over your balcony at the cars pulling into the hotel. One last thing about the pool: there was a large swarm of dragon flies over the pool in the daytime. I'd never seen anything like this before. It was almost like something out of the bible. I looked at other hotels and didn't see a similar swarm over their pools, so I'm not sure if this is unique to the W or not. I still managed to take a dip, but if I was freaked out by bugs it would've definitely freaked me out.

On the subject of money, let me just say that this is not the hotel you want to stay at if you're vacationing on a tight budget. Seriously, a burger and a drink will run you about 30 bucks. They even charge you for Wifi (unless you're a platinum SPG member). I'm still dumbfounded about this. As much as this hotel charges just to rent a room, it's incredulous that they'd also charge for Wifi. But hey, you've been forewarned.

In conclusion, the W at Fort Lauderdale is very nice. Probably the nicest hotel you can stay at where the majority of the other guests aren't old rich people (ala the Ritz Carlton). You'll definitely take a second look at other guests and wonder if that person is an actor, pro-football player, or a musician. If you've got the money, I couldn't recommend it more. If you don't, well you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you're a FL resident you may be eligible for special discounts
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Cyan R
Cyan_R - I'm delighted you had a positive stay. Thank you for your comments. W is all about enchanting the senses. I'm glad you enjoyed the sights, smells, and sounds at the hotel. To ensure the security of our guests, key cards are required for the hotel towers and guest amenities. I understand the glass showers do not suit every guest, and some of our guest rooms have shutters to ensure privacy. We would like to welcome you back if you're up for people watching and relaxing - you never know who will stop by the W! Safe travels.
NYC
Reviewed 29 August 2011

This hotel is top notch. Instead of South Beach, I stay at W Fort Lauderdale for work and pleasure. The ambiance is amazing from poolside to the restaurants, lounges, and the rooms. The staff is friendly, courteous, and professional. As a Starwood member, I've been upgraded to a suite on numerous occasions. They're designed beautifully, clean & modern.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
NYCSonny - Thank you for the top notch review! I'm glad you found everything you needed right here in Fort Lauderdale, without missing the Miami scene. We look forward to seeing you again, thanks for your loyalty. Safe travels.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for part of our honeymoon and - WOW! - what a nice place! The room fit our personalities perfectly; the plush alligator on our bed, awesome opening doors with a view of the ocean, a fun tray of goodies, the see-through shower, etc. We had a great stay. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and you can spend a good hour just roaming looking at all the cool interior details and architectural cool-ness (ummm... stairs that go straight down through the middle of the pool... how neat is that?!?!). The only "downside" I'd say is that it felt a little stuffy for us at night. We're a pretty casual couple, so our jeans and t-shirts made us felt a bit out of place when juxtaposed next to the rest of the party-goers. Room service was AMAZING and we definitely took advantage of it. Breakfast was our favorite. This place is definitely recommended. Maybe we'll go back for our anniversary!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
TheJuggernauts - Wow, thanks for the great review, and congratulations on your new marrige! I'm thrilled W Fort Lauderdale was part of your honeymoon and you enjoyed exploring the property together. We would love to welcome you back for your anniversary! Warm Wishes.
Zephyrhills
Reviewed 28 August 2011

After having jumped out of the Avalon (see my review of that dump), we tried the next-door Hilton, but it was all booked. So we walked another block to the W (part of the Marriott group). We got a room on the 21st floor, with a decent view of the ocean. The room was a little on the small side, but acceptable. Pluses: every member of the staff was invariably friendly and helpful. Minuses: the shower lacked a needed safety bar, and the floor was somewhat slippery; the sink was beautiful, and its main function was to splash water on the mirrow and floor; in-room WiFi was an extra charge (why do too many hotels still do that?); valet parking was $31/day (plus tips); a chicken BLT cost $15 at lunchtime; and the room rate was $249/day (plus taxes). My impression was that they tried to make everything look spacious and elegant -- but everything was still badly overpriced. Would I stay again? Only if I had no alternative.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Alangunzer - Thank you for your review. As part of the Starwood family, we appreciate all of our guests comments and feedback. I'm glad you found our talent friendly and helpful. I'm sorry you were not completely satisfied with the room. We aim to be competitive with our neighboring hotels along Fort Lauderdale beach. We hope you see you again soon, safe travels.