“W puts on the Wow!”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #27 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Man, what an ultra-modern design and architecture. The "living room" offers a couple pool tables for keeping yourselves entertained. The bar area had a unique setting that included huge sitting areas with lighting that kept you visually entertained. The whole hotel seemed to convey an underwater theme…mermaids on the ceilings in the hallways, shells, etc. The pool area also offered a unique visual experience. You can actually walk into the pool fully clothed and not get wet due to the stair way under the pool. There is a Great view of the beach which is just across the street. And, the beach was very clean… even for being a public beach. There are protected turtle nesting areas all along the beach for you nature lovers. The hotel sits situated in an area surrounded by stores, restaurants and sports bars… all within walking distance. The rooms were equipped with all the electronic-digital hookups you would want including a DVD player which we used to watch on of our kid’s discs. “ENDGAME”… wow! The design concept was so progressive it took a bit for us old-timers to get use to. The shutters separating the shower from the sleeping areas can be opened so you can see in or out of the shower while you are in there taking one. Uh,…I guess there are some applications when this would be a useful feature…just not when traveling with your extended family. Even the commode had a sliding frosted glass door that really left nothing to the imagination about what was going on in there. But, it opened our minds to something new and different in the expanding ultra-modern hotel industry. I think most people are aware that the hotel industry is looking for ways to get more of your money during your stay. The obligatory parking fee is one of them. This hotel charged $30 bucks or so per day to have them park your car. The resorts are charging a $25 to $30 dollar a day for “activity fees” whether you take advantage of them or not. This was not a resort. But, the stuff is not cheap. I would recommend you walk down the street to Casablanca’s or a sports bar and eat and drink to your heart’s content. Walk back to your ultra modern room and crash in your extremely comfortable bed….and if you are with your significant other by yourselves, put on a show in the shower for each other. LOL

Room Tip: request a higher room with a view of the beach. The rooms come equipped with balconies.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for W Fort Lauderdale

Reviewed 15 September 2011

I have stayed at this W 3 times while on business in Ft Lauderdale and the rooms are very nice and new. Ask for a Mega room and you will get a corner suite with wonderful views of the beach/ocean. Typical W service, etc. Nothing bad to say about this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We stayed for only a few days, but we were treated very well. The service was outstanding as well as the amazing balcony/view from the room. I believe this hotel is better for couples and friends as it seems as if it can get pretty wild at times. The pool is luxurious and large, but not on the beach. You need to exit the hotel (go downstairs) and cross the street to get to the beach. The staff was nice and very attentive. I can highly recommend this place. It was wonderful for a romantic weekend. (I don't think it would be a great for younger kids).

Room Tip: take the ocean view!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank appleloo
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This prperty is spectacular but front desk service does not match the place and the servuce st the pool is non-existant.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 11 September 2011

My family and I stayed at the W last year for a very brief time. My husband really enjoyed the ambiance and wanted to return this year. So here are our impressions having stayed for a longer visit.

First, the hotel is beautiful as was our room. And the employees were absolutely wonderful. They were all welcoming and helpful and we have nothing but the nicest things to say about them.

But we did have some negative comments:

The idea of a shower on the same plane as the rest of the floor sounds cool but it is really a disaster. The floor was constantly flooded because my son hated the shower curtain touching him. A glass door would be a much better idea. At least reposition the shower head to either end so that it is not spraying outward.

And what is wrong with a bathroom door? One made of wood that closes to allow privacy and prevents funky odors from escaping. A curtain is not a door.

Can you ditch the glasses in the rooms. Replace them with paper cups. They are much more sanitary.

Why do you feel it is necessary to charge such exorbitant prices for in-room conviences? Cheaper chain hotels frequently provide free in-room internet, free breakfast and a refrigerator upon request. High-end hotels charge for these things. We have all learned to ignore all the in-room snacks because just opening the minibar and touching anything will result in a charge regardless of whether or not the item was consumed. Do you think it is fair to charge $5 for a can of coke when we can drive over the bridge to Publix (Which we did) and buy an entire 12-pack for $5? We bought a cheap, styrofoam cooler, filled it with hotel ice and placed our cans inside it. Cold cans-cheap.

Here's an idea W-why not charge less and see how much more you sell.

Pool-a staircase in the middle? More for model sunbathers than swimmers. We much preferred the beach. That was amazing!

Also, if you have kids, go elsewhere! The rooms are not really set-up for kids. This hotel is better for adults.

Room Tip: We went off-season (summer) and found the best deals. We went through Bookit and got a great deal by...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SUE-ZEE-Q
LauraHarrington, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

Sue-Zee-Q, Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. I'm glad you found our staff helpful. I'm sorry to hear you were not pleased with the bathroom and amenities in your room. We are happy to provide our guests with a coffe maker and refrigerator free of charge if available. W Cafe in the Living Room also offers complimentary coffee until 11am. W Fort Lauderdale hopes all guests feel welcome and have a positive experience during their stay. We would like to welcome you and your family back in the future. Safe Travels

Reviewed 11 September 2011

My husband and I just spent 2 nights at the W Hotel in Fort Lauderdale. This was our first time at a W hotel and I don't think we will return. Our corner ocean front room was very nice but we had an issue with their security procedures. You must carry your room key at all times because it is needed to operate the elevator. Yesterday afternoon, both of our room keys would not work in the elevator. Another guest in the elevator used his key so we were able to get to our floor. We then realized that neither key would open the door to our room. We asked the house keeper to let us in but she said she wasn't allowed to but she called for a security person to come up to let us in. My husband stayed at the room and I went to the lobby to get new keys made. When I got to the concierge desk, I was asked for my ID by the same person who checked us in not 24 hours before. Well, my ID was in the room safe. (I never thought I needed to carry picture ID at all times- we had been at the pool). I was told that I would have to wait for a security person to escort me to my room so that I could prove who I was. I asked her if she didn't remember me. She said that was the hotel protocol. Fortunately, the other concierge remembered me and he made 2 new keys for me. I then went back upstairs to the room. As I was passing the housekeeper, she told me that my husband had just gone back downstairs with the security guard. I couldn't understand why he wasn't in the room. It turned out that the security guard wouldn't let him into our room because his name wasn't on the reservation list that he had, it was in my name. The guard wouldn't call to check on his name. My husband was the one who made the original reservation, so we have no idea why his name wasn't listed. He had given his ID and credit card to the front desk when we checked in. The guard should have called the front desk to check on who was registered to the room. The guard would not allow him into the room so that he could then show him his ID card which was in the safe. When we complained to the manager, all the manager would say was this was the hotel security procedure. He wouldn't admit that it could have been a mistake. We can understand a hotel having security measures HOWEVER, the hotel should know the names of the people registered in a room. What also upsets me is that while I was waiting for my new keys to be made, another guest asked the same concierge person to print her 6 additional keys and her friend asked for 4 additional keys. They had a photo ID and there were no questions asked. They probably handed those additional keys to their friends who probably were not registered guests. The W Hotel should rethink their security procedures and start using some common sense. My husband and I are frequent travelers and would have expected better customer service from this type of hotel. When we checked out, a different manager did apologize and had a much better attitude. The remainder of the hotel stay was better but that experience opened our eyes to the type of customer service the W should have given

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank insurancecenter

insurancecenter - Thank you for your comments, as we value all of our guests' feedback. I am sorry to hear of your experience with our Risk agent. While I understand your frustration, we take our guests' security seriously, and follow strict procedures with issuing room keys and allowing people into guest rooms. If you would like to further discuss the incident during your stay, feel free to email GMScott.Brooks@whotels.com. We would like to welcome you back on a future visit to Fort Lauderdale. Warm Wishes.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

Very nice we loved it! i would not bring kids here all though people did. i also would not share with a friend because the showers is all glass and so is the bathroom. the only thing i did not like was the toilet area being see through frosted glass come on there are some things that i just dont need to see!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

lovetoeat222 - Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel. Guests are welcome to request a guestroom with shutters in the bathroom. We understand the peak-a-boo shower is not for everyone. Thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon. Safe travels.