“Great Anniversary Getaway”

Ranked #26 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Tucson, Arizona
“Great Anniversary Getaway”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My Fiance and I booked this hotel through Hotwire and were very excited when we found out we got the W!! I had read mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, but most of those were from familys so figured we would be okay. To start the hotel is gorgeous!! And its in a great location, waking up a view of the ocean everyday was amazing. We were celebrating our anniversary and I let the front desk know when we checked in. They upgraded us to an amazing room, with a huge bathroom & balcony. I would recommend asking for an upgrade, it doesnt hurt to ask!

We didnt not notice the hotel being noisy at all, and everyone was very friendly. We ordered room service twice, and would highly recommend the truffle mac & cheese!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the ocean! We had a corner room with a balcony overlooking the water.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,179)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
ny
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Located across the road from Atlantic ocean is very convenient, but hotel charges $ 40 for 2 chairs and an umbrella a day. would buy these at nearby CVS.
We stayed on the north side on 17th floor , yet the noise of trucks and buses is like the ground floor.There are no coffee pots in room nor are they provided. There is no self parking and they charge $31 daily for parking. Free WIFI only in lobby. All that said, it is a very beautiful hotel, excellent design, very friendly and helpful staff, excellent but too- noisy- at- night-restaurant, would highly recommend this hotel with the exceptions above.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
LauraHarrington, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
fahmed -
Thank you for commenting on your recent visit to W Fort Lauderdale. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed the design of the hotel and encountered our friendly staff during your stay. The beach chairs and umbrella rentals are handled through the City of Fort Lauderdale, so the Hotel has no control over the prices. However, we can certainly remedy your coffee pot needs, as we are happy to bring one up to your room upon request - or visit the Living Room for complimentary coffee each morning. I hope you join us again, and enjoy some rays from our two WET decks. Until then, safe travels
New York
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Beautiful hotel on Ft Lauderdale beach. We had a cool corner with breathtaking views. The bathroom is modern and cool with an open shower. Overall we thought it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank lysalee
Lysalee -
We think you're pretty great too! Thank you for your thoughts. I hope we have another opportunity to give you an excellent experience. All the best!
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My wife and i stayed here and loved the hotel and property. The pool menu was limited but very good. The location enabled us to walk to restaurants and to the water taxi spot #3. Everything at W is overpriced but the service is special. Loved H20 cafe,casblanca cafe, capital grille..

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank ldkjr516
Ldkjr516 -
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed the W Fort Lauderdale. We are in a convenient location to check out the local area. I hope you took advantage of the Acura drop off service while you were scoping out Fort Lauderdale. Hope to see you soon!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 26 January 2012

This hotel is in a great location, the rooms are very comfortable, and the atmosphere is very cool. This is one of my favorite hotels, my husband and I stay here often.

Room Tip: The rooms with at least a partial ocean view are much better but all rooms are nice.
1 Thank naomifl73
Naomifl73 -
You're making us blush! Thank you for the kind words and loyalty to W Fort Lauderdale. We hope to welcome you and your husband back soon, and if you have any special requests, feel free to contact us.
All the best!
Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Although this was a Trip Advisor Travelers' Choice® 2012 Winner for Trendiest hotel I have to say what were these folks thinking who voted. I said that to myself as I scratched my head walking around this tomb, and I do mean a cave of a hotel.

This Starwood hotel property simply is way, way too expensive. The rack rates on their website are outrageous. The price of food and what you get in return for service and portion size was a joke. The grey paint, slate floors dark lighting and bus station feel are not worth the money.

I highly suggest going down the street about a block to the Westin. This Starwood property really values its customers and has much more atmosphere and is less expensive.

I found the W on my first visit after a cruise to be a total let down. The staff seemed bored and lack luster to guest’s requests and even to one another. It’s really dark in the lobby and if this is what all W Hotels are like then forget it. I will stick to the Westin brand which I truly love.

Breakfasts start at $25 and up. Dinners are $35 and up. A 12oz can of Coke Cola from the fridge in the room is $4, Water is $3.00 for 16oz and on and on it goes. Everyone from the valet to the bell hop is looking to be tipped.

A shocker is they provide free shuttle service in a 5 mile area BUT if you want to get to the airport that’s outside the free shuttle area at about 7 miles and the cost including tip was about $25. As a cruiser coming from the cruise port there is NO shuttle either the cost for the cab $25 incl. tip.

That’s why I say bring a fat wallet with lots of money when staying at the W. No freebies here or complimentary anything.

I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank MyChoice7679
Marsss -
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent experience. We consider all of our guests' feedback important, and I will be forwarding your review to the appropriate department managers. While W hotels are priced competitively for a modern luxury hotel, I'm pleased to hear you find comfort in our sister property, Westin Beach Resort, right next door.
All the best.
Lyndeborough
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We came to Fort Lauderdale because Southwest flies non stop from Manchester, NH and I had a ticket from an unused flight that was about to expire. I'm on the snow 6 days a week and just wanted to swim in the ocean for a few days. Let me just say I am not impressed with Fort Lauderdale. I prefer more natural settings. This place is a concrete jungle. If you walk out to the beach and just look east it's not too bad. Being the retired cheapster I am I got a room on one of the bidding web sites. The W hotel is very nice but I would be disappointed if I paid full price for the room. The staff here is very attentive and friendly. I sense there is a big push for better service here. Most of them are genuine but some are just a bit too patronizing and that gives an unpleasant feeling. The only food we ate was the Hummus dip at the pool. That was quite good. The drinks were good too but the waitress service was a little slow. We finally had to go to the bar ourselves and order. The tall blonde at the bar was fast and friendly. The pool is pretty funky and all the outdoor furniture is a funky and a little outdated. Kind of faddy. As a matter of fact all of the outdoor furniture is weird. I would prefer a outdoor pool with palm trees and coconut trees around. This pool is all glass and plastic. Not so tropical. The hotel would do well to change the parking. It is a royal inconvenience. It's valet only and cost over $30 bucks a day. If your in and out what a pain plus a big rip off. There is a lot down the street (north) that is half of this price. If I come back I would use it and walk the 10 mins. The lobby area and entrance are odd. It's kind of hard to get around. You will notice immediately. Nothing flows naturally and it's too dark. Overall it's a very nice hotel and clean. The room is very clean. No funky orders. Nice and fresh. The staff is very nice.

Room Tip: Get a room on east or south side.