“Not the Wow we were led to believe”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #26 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Not the Wow we were led to believe”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

After returning from a great cruise to Jamaica and Haiti, we decided to spend the night in Ft. Lauderdale at the "W" hotel which was situated on the beach. We entered the hotel on the ground level and found the place to be very dark and very cold looking. We had a corner room on the eighth floor overlooking the pool and the ocean. The humidity was high and we were told that if we opened the patio door to be very careful because the tiled floors would become instantly slick. They were correct. The floors were treacherous. The internet access was $14.95 for one day and increased from there. This was supposed to be a rather upscale venue and to charge for internet was unexpected. The hotel was confusing to get around in and there was no real gourmet restaurant as we were led to believe. The food however was very good and the service pleasant. While I would recommend this for those who want to be near the beach, I would not pay extra for a room that overlooks the ocean because of the humidity factor.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 22traveler07
LauraHarrington, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
22Traveler07 -
Thank you for sharing your thoughts from your visit. Complimentary wireless internet is offered in the Living Room of the hotel, which is great for catching up on emails and/or sipping a cocktail overlooking the ocean. I'm pleased you had a positive experience in Steven Starr's award winning restaurant, Steak954. The W brand does offer a more modern approach to hotel accommodations, and we hope you visit us again, or one of our sister properties, Westin and Sheraton, next time you're in the Fort Lauderdale area.
All the best.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,179)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 4 February 2012

An absolute fantastic hotel, friendly people, delicious restaurant (steak 954) and nice lounge bar.
The rooms are spacious, hygienic and modern designed.

• Stayed January 2012
MichelDG -
Thank you for sharing your amazing review from your January visit. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed our friendly staff, spacious rooms, and beverage & food outlets. We do hope you join us again soon, and feel free to let us know when you're on your way.
Until then, all the best MichelDG!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Not sure what the negatives are about with other reviewers. This property is superb. It is like every other property in the area. Across A1A to the beach. The lobby is gorgeous. You can see the bottom of the swimming pool if you look up the staircase. The architecture is amazing!! From the minute we arrived the valet, bellhops, front desk staff were all so friendly and helpful. The young man who brought our luggage upstairs was so friendly. Our room was WOW ARE YOU KIDDING US?? fantastic. The sliding glass doors to the balcony made you feel like you were outside. Just amazing. The pool is beautiful. The staff there couldnt be more helpful setting up the chairs with umbrellas if you want them. The rooms were immaculate. The bathrooms spot on. We stayed here last year and plan on staying here again every time we find ourselves in Fort Lauderdale. Any time we needed anything at all we pressed the whatever whenever button on our phone and we got what we needed. This truly is the place to stay! Thank you W Fort Lauderdale for another memorable vacation.

Room Tip: Ocean view or Intracoastal view fantastic!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank srk60
Umich3 -
Wow! What a superb review, thank you! We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us and fellow travelers alike. We look forward to welcoming you back to the property for your next visit to Fort Lauderdale. Remember, whatever you want, whenever you want it... Just ask!
See you soon!
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Rooms are wonderfully designed, and super comfortable. The hotel is impeccably maintained, and very clean. Beds are just super...

The location is hard to beat...across from the beach. The pool is small, and can be VERY crowded. The dont seem to have enough chairs to handle the crowd sometimes. (THere is another, smaller pool...but the fun is at the main pool).

Dining options were just 'OK' Service the same.

Loved the Bliss spa .. LOVED It.

I will be back. One of the top 2 hotels in FLL in my opinion.....

Room Tip: Rooms on the end facing the ocean are the best for views. I have stayed a few times in rooms/condos...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JamesE339
JamesE339 -
What a great review, thank you! I'm pleased to hear your business trip was mixed with some of the W's allure at Wet East and Bliss Spa. Wet East tends to be a happening spot on sunny days, but we do offer Wet West as another beautiful, relaxing option. Cabanas are available at both pools, of course. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip, business or pleasure. All the best James!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Ft. lauderdale resorts are getting older, well this one is new and it shows. The rooms are super comfy and range from standard to extreme. the pool area is big enough to service everyone, the service in the pool area lacks a bit. When you do get a service worker they are very helpful. If you are going to stay on the beach in lauderdale stay here. better than hilton, ritz etc...

Room Tip: if the price difference is small get the best room you can. you get what you pay for. get a balcony...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mikebrez
mikebrez -
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay in December. April will mark our third anniversary, and we strive to keep the property feeling new and in pristine condition. We hope you decide to visit us again soon, and check out another room type. Until then, all the best!
Michigan, USA
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I've debated how to rate this hotel for a while. I want to give it a higher rating--really I do--but...

Let's start with the good:

Location. Right on the Fort Lauderdale strip--which means just across A1A from the Atlantic Ocean. The hotel is convenient walking distance to most Ft. Lauderdale strip attractions--shopping, restaurants and bars. The beach is right across the street.

My room was a corner, tenth floor, direct ocean front. The room was large, with possibly the most expansive wraparound veranda I've ever experienced in a hotel--it was huge. The view was absolutely outstanding. There were two sets of oversize glass doors, which, when open truly brought the outside in. The king bed was very comfortable, and sleeping with those doors open was an experience I highly recommend.

The room had lots of closet space, decent furniture and a very large bathroom--though for the life of me I don't understand that whole picture window in the bathtub thing.

My experience with the building staff was mostly positive, especially the front desk where everybody I dealt with was helpful, professional and very friendly.

If I could leave the review right here I would give the W excellent marks.

However...

What furniture there was on the veranda was clunky, run-down, and useless. As I mentioned the veranda itself is stunning. It would be nice to be able to sit out there and enjoy it.

The walls in my room were chipped and cracked and beat-up as if a favorite sport of previous guests was luggage demolition derby.

As another reviewer noted, the place is kind of like a tomb. The lobby ("living room" in W parlance) is dark, cold and has the ambiance of a underground bus garage.

And, finally, I have to talk about price. I'm not a cheapskate and I don't mind paying top dollar, but in so doing I expect something of a better-than-average return. This hotel is nice, but there are others along the strip just as nice (or nicer) for less money. The design of the hotel, the lack of usable furniture on the veranda and the less-than-stellar condition of my room do not justify the cost. And that is without considering things like $9 for a tiny bag of chips from the mini-bar--which I think is a bit outrageous--or the lobby bar, with its raw concrete atmosphere, worn out seats and $$$$$ drink prices, which is a true OMG experience--and not in a good way.

I've heard good things about other W hotels, so maybe this one is an anomaly in the chain--I don't know. What I do know is next time I'm in Ft. Lauderdale I probably won't stay here.

Room Tip: The road between the beach and the hotel (A1A) is busy, which means traffic noise. A higher floor m...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank paxMike
LauraHarrington, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
paxmike -
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and fellow travelers. I must say the Cool Corner is one of my favorite room types; I'm glad you enjoyed the ocean breeze. We appreciate your comments regarding to condition of your room, and balcony furniture. I will direct these comments to the appropriate departments in our efforts to continuously improve ourselves. We do hope to welcome you back, and feel free to contact us with any future stay requests.
All the best
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My Fiance and I booked this hotel through Hotwire and were very excited when we found out we got the W!! I had read mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, but most of those were from familys so figured we would be okay. To start the hotel is gorgeous!! And its in a great location, waking up a view of the ocean everyday was amazing. We were celebrating our anniversary and I let the front desk know when we checked in. They upgraded us to an amazing room, with a huge bathroom & balcony. I would recommend asking for an upgrade, it doesnt hurt to ask!

We didnt not notice the hotel being noisy at all, and everyone was very friendly. We ordered room service twice, and would highly recommend the truffle mac & cheese!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the ocean! We had a corner room with a balcony overlooking the water.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple