“A Wedding Crew from DC & the World comes to FLL, The W hooks it up!”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #26 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“A Wedding Crew from DC & the World comes to FLL, The W hooks it up!”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Where to start? My fiancee and I are from DC and got married this weekend in FLL, bringing out friends from all across the country and the world to stay for three nights. All our guest came to us and said the exact same thing- "This place is amazing!". For anyone planning a Wedding or just heading to Ft. Lauderdale to hang out, I highly recommend The W. From the very beginning in arranging the reservations a year prior, Steve Hoodack, Marissa Mackel, and Jill Doucette took such excellent care of room-blocking, giving me admin rights to me able to monitor when guest rooms were booked, making sure to respond to emails and phone calls in a timely fashion, expanding the amount of rooms when needed, and just one day before, ensuring that early check-ins were available for both of our families and friends. They even met us on the day of check-in to say hi, and later sent champagne to our rooms. Speaking of which- The Rooms are Elegant, sexy, clean without question, and the views- there isn't a bad view as you look out at either the Atlantic or the Intercoastal. The free Accura car service throughout the day is a HUGE plus for anyone wanting to be dropped off places (our guests used it). At night the lounge on the 4th floor turns into the most amazing place to get together. Two nights in a row our 75 guests got together down by the bar to mingle and enjoy the outside terrace overlooking the ocean. From check-in to checkout every single member of the Staff was professional, pleasant, prompt, courteous, and made our stay unbelievably memorable. Even the security that walk the halls occasionally make a point to stop and say "Good evening". My brother even got kicked out of the hotel for drunken misbehavior at 5AM and I am still writing an excellent review, and very much respected the way that security handled it.

I cannot recommend The W enough. I don't think for our wedding, any other hotel could have brought together 75 people and showed us as good a time, with such class and elegance as The W did. Don't forget the transparent pool which is such a novelty. Their "Wherever Whenever" service which basically will make anything happen for you (within legal bounds obviously) makes them stand apart. We have travelled all across the world, stayed in hundreds of hotels--- This was the best experience, hands down. Our actual wedding wasn't even at the hotel itself, and now that we are back in Washington, the staff is still writing and asking for pictures. Obviously a little more pricey than other places, but if you want an experience you will never forget, this is you place.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Garon W,
I don’t know where to start! First of all, congratulations to you both on your big day. I am so happy to hear the wedding weekend was a success. I have shared your wonderful feedback with the rest of our team. You are a true W loyalist and we can’t wait to welcome you back.

Until next time,
J Doucette

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,166)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tampa
Reviewed 11 June 2012

The hotel is very beautiful. The pool area is gorgeous but had an unfriendly feeling to me.. I ordered a Hamburger, an appetizer, and a couple drinks. The bill was over $100.00? The burger was raw, and the drinks were well below average. The employees didn't seem to enjoy their jobs..

The room was very nice, the view amazing. The beds were comfortable.

I'd stay again but probably spend more time along the beach (trying some of the local spots) for food and grog!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Channelkatz
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the dynamic design and relaxing amenities the hotel has to offer. It is disappointing to hear the food and service at WET did not meet your expectations. I have forwarded this information along to the appropriate manager. Please keep in mind we have an amazing restaurant on the ground level of the hotel, STEAK954, that is available to you as well. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Sarasota, Fl
Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

Great location and friendly personel always there to help.

• Stayed May 2012
Phynias.
Thank you for the positive feedback about our team. We try and make all guests experiences memorable. Hope to see you soon!

All the best,
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This hotel should be fantastic, but it's not. The location is amazing--directly on the beach. But there is somehting missing--service. At no time staying here is there any sense of anyone running the hotel or managing personel. The staff isn't rude or not doing their jobs, it's that they aren't doing them well.

You have the overwhelming sense that this hotel dosn't need you there. And that isn't the right feeling for a resort of this size to convey.

The rooms are ok--but not inspired. The bathrooms are way too dark, the hairdryer enemic, and the bath products would be bettter over fish than on your privates. (There are all acidic lemon)

The bed is comfortable and the room quiet, but the TV could be larger.

The restaurant had great food and great service one day and horrid service the other.

Hit or miss--I would probably stay here again with lower expectations.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TRVLtruth
Mattsaab
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay at W Fort Lauderdale. As it is wonderful to know you enjoyed the location, I am sorry to learn the hotel service did not quite meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact us at GMscott.brooks@whotels.com if you would like to discuss your stay further.

All the best,
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My husband and I live in Tampa so this was about a 3 hr drive for us. We just wanted to get out of town. We love the W Hotels and this was the closest one to us. When we arrived it was rainy ( typical Florida afternoon showers that quickly passed.) During the rainy time we checked into our room and tried some cocktails and apps in the lobby bar LivingRoom. Worth every dollar! The mojitos were made with pure crushed fruit not nasty syrup stuff and the food was excellent. Tandori chicken & fries with special sauce. W always adds a nice touch, even to bar foods.

We recently got married and after booking our room, I called the hotel to ask if there were any upgrades available. I was super surprised to get upgraded in our room to a full ocean view junior suite. Very happy with customer service the entire stay! Even this "junior suite" was pretty small but it was nice. Different from other W hotels I have stayed at. The decor is more white and pastel colors, sticking with the Florida theme.

The shower in our room was glass on all sides. Being newly weds and in our early thirties - we loved this ! Nice touch to the room. People who are shy might want to request a different type of layout for their room.

There is not much to do in the surrounding area. It is a pretty location but we walked around outside and found ourselves just wanting to hang out at the hotel. I guess if you are from up north you may want the beach experience but we are happy to just be away from home and relax at the hotel. We did take a cab out at night. Both nights it was about a 20 minute cab ride to any real night life and night clubs. There is a night club in the W but we wanted to go exploring at night.

The pool was the highlight of our stay. Some people in recent reviews complain about a DJ being at the pool but it is really not that serious. It is a very chill atmosphere with "Hed Kandi" type chill lounge / techno playing in the background. It adds a classy touch to lounging at the pool and is in no way "nightclub" feeling. The staff around the pool were great. Always there to bring fresh drinks or foods to our loungers.

You MUST visit the BLISS Spa Cabana at the pool. You can get mini spa treatments by the pool. I got a ten minute massage and ten minute reflexology while sipping a pina colada in a private cabana. I felt a few minutes of heaven. Charged it to the room - thanks!

The pool deck IS very windy because it is not on ground level. If I HAD to pick a con that would be it. Everything else was lovely!!

Oh and valet parking was unorganized, in bad location and expensive ( not included in hotel stay! ) This, however, is not the W 's fault because it is another outside company in charge of valet. Im surprised they do this because valet gives you your first impression when you arrive someplace and they truly were pretty bad but in the whole scheme of things that is not a big deal and we had a wonderful two night get - away to Ft Lauderdale!

I would recommend this hotel above the others in the area.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room on one of the very bottom floors. We loved this because our balcony overlo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Eat-Pray-Luv
Eat – Pray – Luv
WOW, we really appreciate your review. Sounds like you were able to sit back and relax during the day at the BLISS Cabana and amp it up at night with some of the fun lounges in Fort Lauderdale. I am sorry to hear your experience at Wheels did not meet your exceptions and have forwarded your feedback onto the valet management. Can’t wait to see you again! More fun awaits you…..

Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I came to W FLL after many great stays at W hotels around US, notably Miami Beach and Chicago Lakeshore. I am dissapointed - the hotel is fresh, the usual W tocuhes (cool vibe etc), nice sized room (Fantastic Suite), trendy, etc. But there is definitely something missing - and its called the 'little touches' which make or break places like this. For starters, the front desk/concierge seem to think being cool means being stand offish and uninterested - what is that all about - the cleaner for our room was more pleasant than any of the front desk team. Room service simple terrible - we ordered drinks at 11pm and waited 45 minutes - the usual apologies but I mean, really? The pool area is nice but where is the service - at Miami W its the full on service (pool guys putting towels on beds, cold towels, etc) but here - patent disinterest, almost no drink service (had to go to bar 3 times) and for a hotel so big, its clearly crowded Saturdays so steer clear. But the biggest problem - the room cleanliness - when we arrived the room seemed fine but on closer check, the outside deck was very shabby (broken, wet, strewn sunbed cushions), the bed sheets were torn in several places, floor under couch was filthy (food bits from previous guests etc), and fridge half stocked. The Quality Control seems non existant and for a premium chain like W, that seems unacceptable. Yet its clearly not a W trait because I have always been blown away by W in Miami Beach and Chicago - perhaps its just that it is offseason and staff count is low?? Either which way, its a shame because the location is awesome, its got so much potential, and despite these problems its still got lots of good points - the W should make sure these little things don't develop into major problems that start to cheapen its brand down the road.

Room Tip: Go for Atlantic view
2 Thank GPATB38
Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable feedback and for your loyalty to the W Brand. I have shared it with the hotel staff and management to ensure they are aware of the details of your experience and how we can learn from it. I apologize that the service did not meet your expectations, as we strive to make every guest experience a positive one. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail, please reach out to GMscott.brooks@whotels.com.

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We have stayed at the W Fort Lauderdale six times in just the past 12 months and we always look forward to it. However, our most recent stay was in a league of its own. We were fortunate enough to stay in a Marvelous Two Bedroom Flat. It made for one of the best weekends I've had away from home.

The room would be great for a party of up to four. With a full kitchen and washer & dryer, it's got everything you'd have at home except it adds a sense of luxury and serenity. Room 1608 was at the northeast corner of Tower II and had three balconies all with both an indirect ocean view and a intercoastal view (good for sunsets).

The Wet Deck East (main pool) has a more upbeat vibe than it had in the past and seemed to be a mix of local clientele and hotel guests. It feels lively without being overcrowded or rowdy. People watching is always fun. The Wet Deck West (second pool) provides more of a retreat with larger lounge chairs and fewer people. We like to stop there after a walk along the ocean in the afternoon before returning to the room.

If you have the chance to treat yourself, the two bedroom flat would be a great option! I certainly hope to do so again soon. My batteries are recharged!

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies away from the eastern side of the hotel are less windy and still provide great...
1 Thank johnruda
Johnruda
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with all the Tripadviosr Loyalists. I am so excited to hear you enjoyed the vibrant scene and beautiful upgrade. Please feel free to reach out to us at GMscott.brooks@whotels.com when you come back for stay #7 so we can personally greet you.

Until next time..