“modern vibe hotel”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #27 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is a modern vibe hotel located on the beach trip.The rooms are clean and tastefully decorated.One should get a room overlooking the ocean and not to close to the reception area.
The room has all basic amenities.The lounge is buzzing with activity and has modern music and vibes.The bar area around the pool has lovely female bartenders who are always willing to serve you.

Room Tip: Higher floors with ocean views
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Nsr17,

Thank you for your review – it sounds like you were able to experience quite few of our amenities! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

LBosco

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I feel compelled to write a review as i used trip advisor reviews to book this hotel originally. I will say that the staff is all very pleasant but clearly this is not a luxury hotel.
First, the housekeeping was disasterous. One day our room was not made up at 330 and we called and asked someone to clean it and at 6pm it was still dirty. Turndown service is only by request and even with requesting it we received it 50 percent of the time. The towels are warn out and hard and the cleanliness was minimal at best.
Second, it was holiday week and the hotel as a smaller pool on the west side of the building. There was no attendant there most of the week and no towels. To get a drink or food you had to call on the phone and wait over an hour. Further, there were no chairs at the main pool.
Third, the spa was once of worst i have been to . When i started my massage they put me in a room that was not equipped with a massage table. I asked to move and they were annoyed and the 15 move was not made back in the time of my massage. My massage was very mediocre at best and very poor quality.
Fourth, the internet never seemed to work and for each device you had to speak to IT(The were very helpful) everytime we needed to log on to something.
Overall, I would not go back would rate this hotel no better then a hilton or sheraton.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank cary2664
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

cary2664,

We appreciate you taking the time to share the details of your stay. While I’m happy that our Talent made a positive impression, I’m certainly sorry to hear that you didn’t fully enjoy all of the aspects of your stay. Thank you again for review, we certainly appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have stayed at the W several times when traveling for business and was excited to return with my family for a holiday vacation. I used more hotel services and amenities with them, which may explain why I experienced what seems like a decline in quality and service. Upon arrival (10 pm), we were told that they only had one bellman working and that our luggage would be brought up "shortly." In front of us was a mountain of luggage that belonged to other guests, some of whom were coming from their rooms to retrieve it themselves, commenting they had been waiting an hour for their bags. With two kids who needed to get to bed, we hauled it up ourselves. This wouldn't have been a big deal at all, but it foreshadowed what was to come next in terms of lack of staff and some quality control challenges ..... The next morning, we ate breakfast at the full service restaurant on site. After being seated and placing our order, the service levels plummeted. Three of our four meals arrived tepid from the kitchen, the pancakes arrived with no butter or syrup, and only the side item arrived for the fourth meal. After searching for our waiter for several minutes to track down the syrup, we gave up and asked the hostess for assistance. Ten minutes later, syrup for the (cold) pancakes arrived, but still no main course for one of our diners. Three of us finished or meals, tried to find our server, and because he was clearly MIA, again asked the hostess if we could have water, more coffee, the missing order .... all of this seemed very odd and out-of-character for the likes of a W. Several hours later, we ordered lunch poolside and discovered hair in one of the meals. I brought it to the attention of the server, who apologized profusely and didn't charge us for the meal. So, not enough staff, disappointing service at the restaurant, and hair in my food made for a less-than-expected W experience. Lastly, if you choose to not have your room cleaned, they will give you 500 Starwood points. I have a better idea: how about if I don't have my room cleaned, you give me free wi-fi in my room?

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank travelmum415

travelmum415,

Thank you joining us again for another stay, though it’s disappointing to hear that the level of service did not match your previous experiences. We’ve shared your comments with our team and partners in hopes of improving future guests’ stays. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We usually stay in upscale resort hotels like the Ritz Carlton. If you are used to that - do not stay here. We came for an over night stay before a cruise and booked a 2 bedroom suite for over $800 a night. We did not get our room until 5pm. We waited and waited and waited. We hung out by the pool and had horrible service at the pool. Our waitress just disappeared. The room was quite large and modern and the kitchen was huge.. That was the good part. The design of the master bath was open to the bedroom. Completely no wall. The tub is next to the bed. It is so weird. When my daughter tired to take a bath- which she thought was great - there was no warm water and no stopper for the jacuzzi. The sink is on the other side of the tub and there is no vanity space to put your toiletries. The shower is also open to the bedroom. Oh, and we had no hot water.

The location is good and we did walk out and found a nice dinner spot near the Marriott.

We complained to management about our various issues but they really did not care. We were very disappointed. We stayed at the Ritz next door a couple years before and it was shabby - that was the only reason we chose the W. With $5 sodas (each) at the pool and poor service with a $200 lunch bill for 5 of us - we decided this was the worst place we have ever been. Ever.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Michelle B

Michelle B,

While we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, I’m so sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, if you’d like to email us at GM.WFortLauderdale@Whotels.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stayed here recently for one night prior to departing on a cruise. The hotel is new with a modern vibe and right across the street from the beach. Our room was a cool corner king suite with a huge terrace (20x40ft) with fabulous ocean views. The hotel is right on the beach strip so there's an ample selection of shops, restaurants and bars within walking distance. The very trendy Las Olas Blvd area is a bit of a hike (30 min walk) but I'd suggest taking a cab ($10) since much of the scenery consists of residential homes. If you're heading on a cruise, the ship terminal is a short 15 min drive by cab and walking is not really a practical option. In any case, whether you're staying for a day or a week, this hotel has lots to offer so I'd highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ocean view is definitely the way to go, despite the small upgrade.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Haidasun

Haidasun,

Thank you so much for joining us for your pre-cruise stay. I’m glad you were able to take in some of Fort Lauderdale and enjoyed the property. We hope your cruise went well and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed at the W with a friend about two weeks ago. The hotel is beautiful and at first, the employees were friendly. When I arrived, the parking was valet. I asked the attendant if there was self parking, and he said no, you have to valet. So even though I don't like others driving my car, I handed over the keys.

Check in was simple, and I was directed to my room on the 16th floor. Beautiful hallways, dim lighting, room key needed to access guest rooms from the elevator.

When I got to the room, I was surprised by the see-through shower. There is no wall separating the bathroom area from the rest of the room. (The toilet is behind frosted glass doors, no worries there) I called the "Whatever, Whenever" (WW) line, and they advised they can put up a curtain to block the shower. Great so far. Then, while waiting for my friend to arrive, I tried to connect to the internet and noticed there was a $14.95 charge. So I called the WW line again and advised I was told multiple times when I made my reservation on the phone that high speed internet was included. I was put on hold and then told it is not free. I explained that John in reservations mentioned it multiple times, so she put me on hold again, and came back and said to register for the service and they would credit me at checkout. I wasn't thrilled but said okay. When I tried to register, the site kept looping and I was never able to access their internet. So I decided I would watch TV while waiting. I tried the remote and it didn't work. I tried sitting at the little desk to change the channels manually but it was uncomfortable and frustrating. So I called the WW line again and asked for new batteries. While pacing the room, I noticed another remote on the floor and realized it was the DVD player that had corroded batteries, not the TV remote. I called the WW line to cancel the battery request because I found the correct remote and Y (that is her name, and that is how she said it was spelled) said "so you don't need the batteries?" I said no and told her I found the right remote but that a future guest may want to use the DVD player and the batteries needed to be changed at some point. So she replied, in an unfriendly tone, "so now what do you need? now you need the batteries?" Very unpleasant woman. By that time, the shower curtain arrived, he put it up, yet left the trash from the curtain package on the nightstand. The lights in the room are also super bright, so if you have any light sensitivity, I would recommend not turning the ones on that show the bulb. As a plus, the room had several snacks and drinks for sale, and set out a free bottle of water.

My friend arrived, we went to dinner and returned. She parked her car in valet as well. We spent the evening listening to the live band playing in the Whiskey Blue lounge, they were amazing and the staff was very attentive. We laid down to go to sleep and the AC kept clicking loudly every time it turned on. We had to sleep with the fan on so the clicking wouldn't keep waking us up. Granted the AC was very cold, which I enjoy.

I packed my overnight bag back up and went to check out. To my utter shock, there were two charges for valet! $31.80 each! I advised the receptionist I wasn't told there was a charge and even had asked about self parking. She said the valet is a vendor and she couldn't do anything about it. I asked for a manager,(his agent name is CMARKLE on the invoice) and he said the same thing! I had to talk to the valet manager. (Meanwhile, it is the W charging my credit card.) I told him I wasn't notified about the charge and he said "It is on our website, and outside." I told him I didn't look at your website and I didn't see a sign. He repeated himself again! I told him the valet line was backed up, so I had to walk up the drive and in, and did not see a sign. He insisted I talk to the valet person as they are a vendor. I asked him if he was going to do anything about the problems with the room. He said what problems? I told him what I went through. He said, well, why am I just hearing about it now, why didn't you report it? (Snotty) I told him I did, and to check the logs if they had them. (I forgot to mention, the room was disgustingly dusty. If you have a dust allergy or asthma, stay away!) He stepped away for a moment and came back, then stepped away and came back. He finally offered me a $40 room credit for the internet lie, the shower surprise, the batteries, the bright lights, the loud AC, and the rude woman "Y" from the WW line.

I went outside to the valet and ask to speak with the manager. The assistant manager Kayvon (Kayvan?) was not friendly from the start. He just looked at me like, what? I advised the same about not knowing there was a charge. He said I should have known. (Snotty!) I said no one told me, and the sign isn't facing the way I came in, and why would I know? Even Benihana's has free valet. Why would I think the "W" would charge? I told him about asking for self parking. He was rude, and said, had I known it was $31.80 would I have parked somewhere else? Because no one else has ever done that. RUDE! I advised since I live 20 minutes down the street I would have had someone drop me off, as I don't even like other people driving my car. The phone rang then and the front desk manager advised them he credited me $40. I advised that was for the room, not the 2 cars parked in valet. He said he would credit one, and I would have to talk to his manager for the other. I asked for his business card. (meanwhile he is trying to stare me down and make me uncomfortable, but I knew I was in the right so I didn't back down) He gave me the card, I took my keys and left.

He never credited the promised $31.80, and I haven't heard back from the manager, Steve Hollingsworth, about the other $31.80. So I disputed it with my credit card company and am awaiting their research.

Long story short ... the beautiful view and awesome live band did not make up for the dust & loud AC in the room, the rude employee one the WW line, and the terrible valet that lied.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank FieryKMG

FieryKMG,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback, we really do appreciate it. I understand that our Hotel Manager has already been in touch with you to further discuss the details of your stay. If you have not received his email response, please feel free to send your full contact information to GM.WFortLauderdale@Whotels.com, attention Michel Notten. Again, we thank you for your review and look forward to connecting with you soon.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Booked this hotel last minute as I had a meeting pop up just before a cruise i was taking, No line for check in and as soon as the person at the front desk checks my reservation he advises i've been upgraded to a 1br loft suite! I had booked a regular room, so this upgrade was totally unexpected, but very much appreciated. The roomS were huge, and on my bed was an awesome white alligator that my gf fell in love with. Didn't eat dinner at the hotel but the bar was a great scene. Only wish they had noted there were multiple bars in the hotel. Had room service for breakfast and they were fast and accurate.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank JG230

JG230,

I’m so glad that you found your pre-cruise accommodations comfortable, for your pop up business your visit. We hope you can join us again for a more extended stay. We hope you enjoyed the cruise!