“Falls short in a number of areas”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #25 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Falls short in a number of areas”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked a weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale for a staycation for my Wife and I in celebration of her Birthday. We arrived about 8pm the day of check in. Check-in was uneventful and the room was fine. We slept in on Saturday and my Wife wanted breakfast. Spoke with the concierge and were told Steak 954 had a brunch going until 3pm. We went down to the restaurant and got a table. My Wife requested a waffle and was told that was only available for breakfast. Seemed odd they couldn’t accommodate that but she ordered something else. After brunch we walked over to the beach. There were no towels or attendant. After waiting about 10 minutes the attendant came back and said they were out of towels for the time being and we should go to the pool.
Pool was comfortable and not too crowded. Service was ok. Upon arriving back at the room about 4pm, the room had not yet been made up. We took showers and dressed and headed out for dinner. Prior to leaving I called down and requested the room be “styled”.
We arrived home at about 11pm to find a few towels and a bag of toiletries on our still unmade bed. I later found a message from someone that because we were in the “green program” they couldn’t clean up the room. When we checked in we were offered that option and I specifically declined it, indicating that I didn’t come to a 5 stat hotel to do my own housekeeping.
To make matters worse, the maid had emptied the trash and for some reason, threw away a bag of specialty diet bars that my Wife had on the counter. There were two boxes of the bars and one was unopened. In over a thousand hotel stays I’ve never had a personal item thrown away. This was especially odd since the room didn’t get made up nor was the bag in question near the trash.
We woke the next morning. Had some coffee and checked out.
On a prior visit, the room we had reserved and confirmed ahead of time was not available and our kids ended up sleeping in cots on either side of our bed. It wasn’t a relaxing 2 nights. We were then promised some actions from one of the managers including a partial refund, which never occurred even though he confirmed this had gone through via email.
Nice hotel with a good location but just can’t seem to get it right. Staff training is weak from what I’ve observed. There was a particularly helpful concierge on one occasion and the initial bellboy was good, but for the most part the staff are a bit rude and seem unhappy to be there. Management follow through is poor and throwing away anything before insuring it is trash is completely inexcusable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert G
Robert G,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay. I’m sorry to hear of the challenges you encountered and have shared your concerns with our team in hopes of improving future guests’ experiences. We appreciate your feedback.

LBosco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,163)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I decided to Stay here for one night on Fri May 30 after much research on internet. It was very clean which was my main priority. The rooftop pool was amazing! I would highly recommend this hotel. The only negative I have is that it was dark. They need to add brighter lights. It sounds dumb to complain about the lighting but you will notice if you stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MassachusettsCarol,

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and WET! Thank you for your recommendation and for your suggestion. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Okeechobee, Florida
Reviewed 3 June 2014

When I walked into our suite I said WOW! This stay was a surprise from my husband for our anniversary. I had no idea the name of the suite was called the "WOW Suite". The name of the suite is very appropriate. The view of the ocean from every single room was amazing. Nothing is better than waking up to an ocean front sunrise. Well, maybe taking a soak in the tub while watching the waves roll in, or sun bathing on your own balcony. Although the comfiness of the bed was pretty amazing also. Oh and they even have Bliss bathroom toiletries....I now love Bliss! And the decor.....the closets are hot pink and are awesome, Who thinks of putting lights inside the clothes rod so you can see your clothes...The W does. The hot pink color might throw you off but it really makes a bold statement. The rest of the suite was decorated in white, tans, greys...modern touches.

We ordered breakfast and dinner through room service. The food was great. There was a good selection of food on the menu. The roasted potatoes for breakfast are delicious!!!

I had a massage with Jordan at the Bliss Spa....great spa!

The staff was very friendly. The girls at the pool always made sure you had service.

I really hope we get to go back again. It was a truly amazing place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
ShannonBree27,

Happy Anniversary! Thanks so much for celebrating with us. I’m glad you enjoyed your room, your visit to bliss spa and had some time to experience WET. We certainly hope to welcome you back again soon!

Highland, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was our 2nd visit to this W Hotel and it was as great as the first. The service was great from the front desk personnel to the maid service. Everyone was friendly as usual and greeted you with a smile. We requested extra conditioner and it was at our door within 5 minutes. We're used to calling a couple of times to get anything to the room. Good job W Fort Lauderdale!!! You did not disappoint.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MikeArv So Cal,

Thank you for joining us again and for your review! I’m glad you enjoyed your recent stay as much as your first. We hope to see you again soon for visit number three! Until then…

Safe Travels,
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in a fabulous ocean front location. It had the vibe of an upscale party atmosphere, with loud music throughout the bar and lobby area, with many fellow guests there to have a good time. We were there with our baby for one-night before our cruise, so we did not partake in the festivities, and we were very thankful that the rooms were absolutely silent and were not affected by the activities occuring elsewhere in the hotel. Graciouslsy, we were upgraded to a stunning 2-bedroom, which was fabulous (even though were were only there for a few hours). We would definitely stay here again if we happen through Fort Lauderdale in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
TSH1322,

Thank you for joining us for your pre-cruise stay! I’m glad you found your room comfortable and quiet. We hope you enjoyed your cruise and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

florida
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nice pool party during the day. Cool place at night. Great steak house. Staff is very attentive to your requests. They are trying to be above average. Avoid rooms next to elevators if plausible. It became a problem around four am for us.

Looking forward to my next stay there.

• Stayed May 2014
feetz florida,

Thank you for your review – I’m glad you enjoyed your overall stay and Steak 954. We’re also looking forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

After careful budgeting, my co-worker and I were very excited to be staying at this hotel after a long week of travel and hotel hopping. It did not disappoint - in fact, it exceeded our expectations.

The hotel is located across the street from the beach with a completely unobstructed view of the ocean. It was a short drive to I-95 and FLL airport.

Upon arriving, the valet team and front desk service were very friendly and gracious. The hotel colors, decor, layout, music, and aesthetic were all very chic and modern. Our room was clean, modern, and cool with a fantastic balcony view of the ocean. The bathroom was stocked with the much beloved Bliss products, and featured a separate toilet room.

Because this was a work trip, we took our laptops down to the pool where we worked from the bar and lounge areas. The bar menu had some great healthy selections and tasty cocktails. I loved the music and was frequently using my Shazam app so I could add the songs to my phone. The service at the pool bar was fantastic.

The upstairs bar was pretty empty later in the evening. The bartending staff was excellent. I requested a blended drink that was only served during the daytime, but the bartender recommended a comparable tasting drink that one of the bartenders was experimenting. It did not disappoint.

Overall, we had a great experience at this hotel and would love to come back again with our significant others.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Jennifer W,

Thank you for your review! I’m glad you enjoyed your trip with your co-worker. It’s great that you were able to take your productivity poolside – we like the way you work! We hope your travels bring you back our way again soon for business or leisure.