“Much better than my last visit, but still not wonderful.”
Review of W Fort Lauderdale

W Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #27 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Douglas, Georgia
“Much better than my last visit, but still not wonderful.”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel in the last week of June thru the first of July. I also stayed here back in March and was extremely dissatisfied with this hotel then (see other review) but after I received credit for a couple of nights I decided I would try it again on my birthday weekend in June.

I will focus on this trip for this review.

First off, I notified the manager of the hotel that I would be visiting again, in hopes of everything being absolutely perfect. When I arrived I was welcomed by two or three different department managers and the front desk clerk personally took my baggage from the valet and took it up to my room.

My room, which was "upgraded" by the front desk was actually a downgrade from the room I booked. I immediately notified the front desk and the hotel manager of the error they made. I was promptly given a replacement room and a free meal for four at Steak 954, which is absolutely perfect and everyone should visit that restaurant! The front desk made sure all of my bags were relocated from my non-booked room to the correct room while I enjoyed my meal.

Now I will go into detail about the other things that went wrong.
1)Turndown service is spotty. They missed one night(maybe two) but as soon as I notified the front desk they made sure I had turndown the rest of my stay. Maybe you have to tell them you want turndown? For a hotel of this class I expect better.
2)Housekeeping doesn't speak English very well. Hopefully you won't have to talk to them.
3)This concern is for the valet. I also had this same problem on my visit back in March. The valet is VERY inattentive. Think of the service a Motel 6 would give you, and that's what the valet gives you here. My car was always parked right out front, they never had to pull it up...but getting the keys took anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. They don't talk to the customers at all and don't care how they treat the guests. They even took care of other guest that came down after me, before me. RUDE! And upon arriving back at the hotel, I had to park my car myself the majority of the time and stand outside the car to wait for a valet to get my key from me. Never an apology for this skipped service.
4) I was ALMOST trapped on an elevator. It was broken with the doors open of the ground level.
5) The mats they have all over the hotel (Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening) are not well taken care of and are showing their wear. Also, the mats aren't taken up at the right times of the day and corrected with the right mat...that was very common during my stay. I don't appreciate getting in the elevator at 11 AM and seeing a good evening mat. The staff just doesn't seem to care about details here.
6) A lot of the public areas, particularly WET West, are in desperate need of some TLC (tender loving care). There are pool times that are broken, the floor often has huge puddles under the lounge chairs, the walls look like there is mildew on them, and also the walls look like they are corroding.

For what I pay to stay here, I expect absolute perfection. All of the MANAGEMENT staff are extremely nice and caring, but the common staff are not so nice. The front desk and concierge are the only staff that smile.

When returning to Fort Lauderdale I will more than likely try the Ritz-Carlton just down the street (they have an above road walkway to the beach), or I may try the St. Regis in Bal Harbour (Miami) since I do carry the Starwood Amex Card.

If you must stay here, reserve a room facing the south. I had a two bedroom marvelous suite and it was ideal.

Room Tip: South facing rooms are better. North facing view is the Hilton.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CM90
CM90,

Thank you for your detailed review – and for joining us again. While I’m happy to hear that you found the Management staff to be welcoming, I’m sorry to hear about the elements of your stay that did not meet your expectations. We have taken note of your concerns and appreciate your feedback.

LBosco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,179)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I'd never stayed at a W Hotel before and I couldn't have had a better experience for my first time. Attentive, nice staff, great amenities, a fabulous pool and really large suites with views of the city and the beach. I loved my standalone tub, the restaurant on site, the super fast WiFi and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a corner suite where the balcony extends to cover the living area and bathroom...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Kirsten A,

Thank you for your wonderful review! I’m glad to hear you enjoyed so many aspects of your visit from the Talent and your room, to Steak 954 and WET. We hope to see you again soon!

New york
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel was very accommodating and hospitable. We were welcomed by friendly staff. My group felt respected and we lacked nothing. Service from front lobby to room service was impeccable. Even the room amenities are top of the line. The BLISS SPA products were an extra perk!! Would come back in a heart beat.

• Stayed June 2014
MCMeli,

I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and that your group felt welcome! It’s also great to know that you liked the in-room Bliss Spa amenities – we certainly look forward to your next visit.

Crawfordville, Florida, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had the opportunity to visit the W Hotel in Fort Lauderdale on business in June. My party of two spent four days and three nights at the hotel for a law enforcement conference. Thanks to the law enforcement organization the rate the hotel charged was greatly reduced.

I have mixed feelings about this property. The hotel itself was very nice, but I get frustrated by properties that are bound and determined to nickel and dime their guests.

The location of the hotel on Fort Lauderdale Beach is very nice and I found the room and facility to be pretty clean despite some frightening reviews by other guests in past months.
The views were very nice and the location is outstanding along Route A1A. The conference was enjoyable and the visit was mostly positive.

There are a few things to consider that need some serious attention. As part of a government organization, my agency chooses to pay for the hotel with an agency check. We checked in after 4 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon and the staff was completely baffled as to what to do with the check.

Ultimately, they told me to hold on to the check until Monday morning when someone from their finance department would be able to guide them through the check posting process. I didn’t realize that agency checks were such a new concept. I know our society is built upon plastic but not wanting to accept a governmental agency check is pretty ridiculous.

The staff was generally caring if not particularly helpful. I eventually had to take a break from one of my sessions to take care of the financial details and by mid-Monday morning they finally accepted my room payment.

The Sunday check in experience was absolutely whacko. Apparently they encourage outsiders to use their pool facility during the weekends and the noise and commotion from the pool was so loud that I could not hear the voice of the staff member who was attempting to check me in. I guess their pool parties get pretty wild because the hotel had a very large human being guard on the steps to take you to the pool.

Thankfully the noise experience was limited to that Sunday afternoon. The rest of the visit the hotel was a quiet normal facility. We finally got into our room at 4:40 p.m. which was past their check in time but was a small inconvenience compared to the attempted check in.

We found two wonderful places to eat a short walking distance in either direction from the W Hotel. S3-Sun Surf Sand at the Hilton is owned by the YOLO ownership and was very good and the Casablanca Café was very good as well. These places are easy walking distance and don’t require you to get your vehicle out of the mandatory valet parking situation.

That brings me to my final point about the parking. I understand that parking is limited very close to the Atlantic Ocean and I understand their ability to force valet parking. But three nights at the hotel cost me nearly $102. The front staff created confusion as to where the valet parking was billed. She told me you pay it as you get your vehicle. In truth it is billed to your room. I also had to call the hotel once I got back home to get an e-mail of my bill. They told me
it would arrive in my e-mail five minutes after I left. It did not. I had to chase it down by phone.

Would I return to the W Hotel? Probably not. There are many options along the beach including the Hilton next door. Shop around and see what kind of rates you can get.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Keith B,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your review. We appreciate your feedback regarding the check-in process and handling different forms of payment. We’ve shared your concerns with our team in hopes of improving future guests’ arrival experience. I’m glad you were able to experience a bit of what Fort Lauderdale has to offer – the local dining locations are quite amazing. We wish you safe travels and hope you can visit Fort Lauderdale again soon.

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Loved my recent stay at the W. It has very chic decor, excellent attentive staff, wonderful food and the VIEW!! WOW! The beach is right across the street. Plus, they even love pets. Can't wait to return there when I'm back in the area. I might even make a special trip to experience it all over again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with shutters on the shower/bthroom to avoid any privacy issues. Mine had these and...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dworoner2014,

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your last trip. You’re completely right in that we love pets – and our PAWs (Pets Are Welcome) program is made to feel them like a special guest too! We hope you can join us again soon.

Paterson, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 July 2014

As always, a pleasure staying at the W Fort Lauderdale. The front desk, valet, pool and housekeeping staff all make you feel welcomed and take the time out to be courteous, professional and helpful. Had a great time!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any room. Been there 15-20 times and loved every stay
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Henry A,

Thanks so much for the great review! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and your experience at Welcome, Wheels, WET and with Style. We certainly hope to welcome you back again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Simply the best staff, service & facility anywhere in South Florida; which is why I continue to return here over & over again. The hotel has a great layout, incredible views, & well appointed & designed rooms. Be sure to try the amazing restaurant for dinner or breakfast (or both!)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
dpctravel,

It’s wonderful to hear not only that you enjoyed your recent visit but that we’ve had the pleasure of welcoming you back time and time again! We truly appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your next visit.