I recently stayed at this hotel in the last week of June thru the first of July. I also stayed here back in March and was extremely dissatisfied with this hotel then (see other review) but after I received credit for a couple of nights I decided I would try it again on my birthday weekend in June.
I will focus on this trip for this review.
First off, I notified the manager of the hotel that I would be visiting again, in hopes of everything being absolutely perfect. When I arrived I was welcomed by two or three different department managers and the front desk clerk personally took my baggage from the valet and took it up to my room.
My room, which was "upgraded" by the front desk was actually a downgrade from the room I booked. I immediately notified the front desk and the hotel manager of the error they made. I was promptly given a replacement room and a free meal for four at Steak 954, which is absolutely perfect and everyone should visit that restaurant! The front desk made sure all of my bags were relocated from my non-booked room to the correct room while I enjoyed my meal.
Now I will go into detail about the other things that went wrong.
1)Turndown service is spotty. They missed one night(maybe two) but as soon as I notified the front desk they made sure I had turndown the rest of my stay. Maybe you have to tell them you want turndown? For a hotel of this class I expect better.
2)Housekeeping doesn't speak English very well. Hopefully you won't have to talk to them.
3)This concern is for the valet. I also had this same problem on my visit back in March. The valet is VERY inattentive. Think of the service a Motel 6 would give you, and that's what the valet gives you here. My car was always parked right out front, they never had to pull it up...but getting the keys took anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. They don't talk to the customers at all and don't care how they treat the guests. They even took care of other guest that came down after me, before me. RUDE! And upon arriving back at the hotel, I had to park my car myself the majority of the time and stand outside the car to wait for a valet to get my key from me. Never an apology for this skipped service.
4) I was ALMOST trapped on an elevator. It was broken with the doors open of the ground level.
5) The mats they have all over the hotel (Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening) are not well taken care of and are showing their wear. Also, the mats aren't taken up at the right times of the day and corrected with the right mat...that was very common during my stay. I don't appreciate getting in the elevator at 11 AM and seeing a good evening mat. The staff just doesn't seem to care about details here.
6) A lot of the public areas, particularly WET West, are in desperate need of some TLC (tender loving care). There are pool times that are broken, the floor often has huge puddles under the lounge chairs, the walls look like there is mildew on them, and also the walls look like they are corroding.
For what I pay to stay here, I expect absolute perfection. All of the MANAGEMENT staff are extremely nice and caring, but the common staff are not so nice. The front desk and concierge are the only staff that smile.
When returning to Fort Lauderdale I will more than likely try the Ritz-Carlton just down the street (they have an above road walkway to the beach), or I may try the St. Regis in Bal Harbour (Miami) since I do carry the Starwood Amex Card.
If you must stay here, reserve a room facing the south. I had a two bedroom marvelous suite and it was ideal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking South Florida beach with unobstructed ocean views, W Fort Lauderdale has sand and surf on one side, and intercoastal elegance on the other. A daily resort fee of $26.50 will be collected at the property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your W Fort Lauderdale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w Fort Lauderdale Hotel Fort Lauderdale
- w Hotels Fort Lauderdale
- w Hotel Fort Lauderdale