“W Ft. Lauderdale”

Ranked #25 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
New York City, New York
“W Ft. Lauderdale”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Based on my experiences with W Hotels, some W hotels are amazing, and some can be a huge disappointment. This W is a little bit of both.

We were in Ft. Lauderdale for a short weekend and decided to stay at the W Hotel because we're hotel snobs and also Starwood Preferred Guests.

The hotel itself is a like your typical W: super trendy, fun, with beautiful views. There is a Ted Gibson salon on the first floor, and a Bliss Spa on the 4th floor. The pool is gorgeous, and there is a beautiful view of the beach from the hotel.

We arrived to the hotel a bit early, and were half-heartedly greeted by a man at the front desk. I am truly tired of people treating me as if they are doing me some sort of favor by actually doing their job, but anyway, that was what his demeanor was like.

He reminded us that we were early, and we asked if it was possible for us to have an early check in. He said he would check on the rooms and let us know. Let's just say, he did not let us know. We waited around for two hours, and had to approach him multiple times. At one point he physically "went to check" and then disappeared. Ridiculous. We get it, we're early. At least get back to us and let us know what's going on. We ended up being helped by a different gentleman who was able to get us a room after waiting around for two hours. Luckily there is a pool table, and outdoor terrace to keep people occupied.

So we finally got our room. We had a "Fantastic View Suite" of some sort. It was basically a one-bedroom suite on the 15th floor with an excellent view, a living room, two balconies and a huge bathroom. As we walked into the living room, I had to hold my breath. It literally smelled like a homeless person. It was absolutely disgusting.

My husband went down to speak to someone at the front desk, and during that time, the housekeeping manager came to follow up on the room. He was actually super nice, and I explained the situation to him. The minute he walked into the room, he agreed with me. He was extremely apologetic and said he would get us a different room. In the meantime, my husband got us a different room on the floor above. Although we were told that we received an upgrade, we actually ended up in the same room for the same price, which was close to $500 a night. There is also an additional charge for valet for each day.

The hotel itself is nice, but they are lacking in customer service. I would think of returning only because of the amenities in the area and the location, which is across the street from the beach. On the flip side, they offer fitness classes including yoga on the beach and are a quick walk to Starbucks, and many great restaurants on the strip. It is a party hotel at night, which most Ws are, with Burlesque dancers and such getting down dancing on the bar.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrssyed
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Mrssyed,

Thank you for your review. I’m glad you enjoyed your overall stay but am sorry to hear of some of the challenges you experienced. We truly appreciate your feedback and have shared your concerns with our team for review. Should your travels bring you back our way, please do let us know by emailing us at GM.WFortLauderdale@WHotels.com and reference your Trip Advisor comment.

LBosco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,160)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Davie, Florida, United States
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had a great weekend at the W for a "stay' cation for my husband's birthaday. When he said he wanted to stay there, I was very hestant. Two years ago, I stayed for a weekend with 2 girlfriends and it was a disaster from start to finish. We hated our experience. This time was completely different. It started out bumpy (room with "ocean" view had little view of the ocean and the flowers I had ordered for my husband had been delivered for hours but I could see them sitting behind the concierge desk while we were checking in). However, the manager, Jerry, couldn't have been nicer. We ended up with a corner suite with a decent view but the room was beautiful on the 20th floor. He gave my daughter a large white stuffed alligator (now named Mr. Chompers) and gave us access to a poolside cabana all day Saturday. It was fantastic! We ended up seeing local friends at the pool (who also had a cabana) and had a glorious day. Both my husband and I had poolside masssages with Antonio! He is fantastic! And, my husband said Noah's poolside service was excellent! My husband said it was one of the best birthdays he has had in a long time. Thanks to the W!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Rhonda M,

Thank you so much for joining us for your husband’s birthday staycation – we like the way you celebrate and of course, we love our locals! It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to soak up some sun at WET with friends. We hope to welcome you all back again soon – Mr. Chompers too!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

A solid choice. If you're a hotel snob who is used to Ritz or Four Seasons or better, this (like all Ws) will appear to have a fair share of minor flaws, but everyone else will gladly give it 4*. Nice views of ocean or waterway, decent in house dining option, good service. Manager gave us one of the condo type units which was very spacious and nicely appointed. Only thing I would caution you on is that this is a bit of an adults hotel. Pool area was packed and not a child in sight. The night time scene is also very adult-ish. We had left kids w grandma so it didn't bother us, but w the kids this might not have been the ideal choice.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank FairCritic Y
NonSnob Foodie Y,

I’m glad you enjoyed your recent stay and had some time to experience WET, Steak 954 and the nightlife on property. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Orlando
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I made reservations to stay at the W hotel ft lauderdale over 4th of July weekend. We come to this hotel often to partake in their Restaurant steak 954 and lounge whiskey blue and we love the property. However, after staying here as a guest I have a very different perception and impression of this hotel. Upon check in we we're greeted by a wonderful gentleman who took our bags from us and wished us a great stay. The front desk help who checked us in was also very helpful and friendly. Our room was not ready so we went to the pool. The bar staff was great. We got drinks quickly and despite being very busy the pool was properly staffed. I cannot say the same for the rest of the hotel. When we were called that our room was ready we got our keys and went to the room. Maintenance was in our room fixing something and told us he was not sure why we we're let in as the room
Is not ready and house keeping still had to clean the bathroom! We also noticed the shower in the middle of the room was totally see through. If you are traveling with kids or a friend (anyone but your significant other) when making your reservation, beware. The shower is totally exposed and there is no way to close it off. Anyways, At this point we already told the desk to send our bags so we just waited on the balcony for them to be done "keeping" our room. Awkward. Speaking of bags , we waited 1 hour 20 minutes for our bags to be brought to us. This is NOT AN EXAGGERATION. I text a friend when I got into the room and made a mental note of when we actually got our bags. I called multiple times and they kept telling me they were on the way. There was no way, unless the elevator broke down. Then we notice there is no ice on the floor. I call the front desk and they tell me that they have to bring us the ice. We waited even longer for that. The staff that brought our luggage literally dropped the bags and ran. I understand it's a holiday but this is a property that I would expect knows how to handle this and would staff appropriately. They did not. When we got back to the pool it was packed and there were no chairs. We were searched at the door by a bouncer that went through our bags. Later I found out the pool was open to the public and that's why it was so over crowded and the bouncers were checking bags. Really!? Paying guests can't get chairs because it's a public pool party? Not ok. Then later in the evening we went on the deck for lunch. No existent wait service. We had to hunt down a server and order. We never saw her again until we literally went and searched for her to obtain our check. Several other tables walked out on their bills around us as they were experiencing the same thing. If you do decide to stay here do not stay over a holiday. I can only assume my experience was this bad because it was 4th of July. I've stayed at hotels over holidays before and never experienced anything like this.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank BrittanyB1017
BrittanyB1017,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay, though I’m very sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. We’d welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns further if you’d like to contact us at GM.WFortLauderdale@Whotels.com and reference your Trip Advisor comment. We hope to hear from you soon.

Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The W Fort Lauderdale is by far my favorite hotel on the strip! I wanted to personally thank Jack from the front desk for the wonderful service provided! Thank you to all the staff! I love W and look forward to visiting many many more times!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Anabel_0210,

Thanks for your great review! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and we certainly look forward to seeing you many, many more times!

Landskrona, Sweden
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We spent a week in Ft Lauderdale at the W and it was brilliant. Everything was great and I think it was the helpful and friendly staff that made this stay so good !! For example the pool area and its staff, the brilliant Steakhouse 954, the check in/out and helpdesk people , valet parking staff etc everything was very high quality !!
Dick Carlsson Sweden

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dick C,

I’m so glad you enjoyed your recent stay and that our Talent were able to make your experience all the more memorable! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed here over the 4th of July holiday. We stayed for four nights. We had a corner suite which was beautiful. It had a great view of the beach, the waterway, and the city. There are sliding glass doors in the bedroom area and the bathroom area which open all the way up which was fantastic. The front desk staff were great and the "whatever whenever" people were always nice on the phone. The valets were also nice. They upgraded our room which was very much appreciated.
The valet service was a little pricey at $30 per night. While we loved our room we did encounter quite a few problems which made the hotel disappointing. We were told that we would have a refrigerator and that we could go and purchase some groceries since we were traveling with a group of 10 total. We got back after shopping to find out that they were out of refrigerators but that they would continue to look for them. They never found one the four nights that we stayed for any of the rooms in our party. This meant we had to use ice to try to keep our food and drinks cold. This normally would not be a problem but there was no ice machine accessible to guests and no ice buckets. We had to call for ice several times per day, and they were only allowed to bring us one bucket at a time. This became inconvenient and pricey since we had to tip them each time. We went out and bought a cooler and bags of ice intermittently as well. The other issue we ran into was poor housekeeping. They only came to clean the first and last day. We called at least three times per day to get our room cleaned, the staff would call back to see if it was cleaned, and when we told them that it was not, they would call housekeeping again, and no one would show. So, when they did finally show they were happy to take the tip money but never cleaned our shower, bath tub, or sinks. At least someone was kind enough to deliver us towels and toilet paper when we called for them.

The property was beautiful, the pool was beautiful, and overall people were great. It was just a shame that the service end of things was not the best. I am a loyalty member there but would not choose to stay there again based on the service alone.

Room Tip: The beach is across the street. We loved tower one which looked at a partial ocean view and waterway...