“Hidden treasure” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Monsey, New York
“Hidden treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful time staying at W FLL rooms were beautiful! Staff was really attending !

Valet parking was overpriced for the area... My only complaint is a child had a accident at the pool so they had to close it for a day...

I have sent multiple friends and family as well and they all enjoyed their stay.

Stayed August 2013
mo_c0,

I’m glad you enjoyed your recent stay and liked your room! I’m sorry to hear that WET had to temporality close, I hope you were able to enjoy our other pool during that time. Thank you for recommending us; we hope to welcome your friends and welcome you back again soon!

LBosco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,141)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I have been to The W now three separate times while on business in Fort Lauderdale. The best part about it, hands down, is the rooftop pool deck with an unobstructed, panoramic view of the ocean. Not only is it cooler than other spots because of the sea breeze (even in the hottest summer months) the entire ambiance is just so relaxing and fun - I feel like a celebrity every time! Great drinks, perfect music (Top 40 & Electronic Dance Music), good looking people, and a killer staff. I have to specifically mention Victor, one of their pool attendants, because each time I called the pool deck ahead to inform them I would need chairs set aside (as it typically gets busy in the afternoon and I prefer the shade of an umbrella) he was ALWAYS more than accommodating and made sure my guests and I had everything we needed. A truly genuine person and a reflection of how much value The W places on its guests and their satisfaction. Kudos and a big thank you to Victor for a great time and many more to come!

Room Tip: Be mindful that those who prefer a more quiet room during the daytime will want to be on the side of...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sophia M
Sophia M,

I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed your recent business trips with us and that you found some time for leisure at WET. It’s also wonderful that our Talent were able to assist you in snagging a poolside seat. We look forward to your next visit!

Lewiston, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed here one night, and had two rooms. The check in was relatively slow, but the staff was friendly. One of the rooms was on the 19th floor, and had a fantastic view of the beach and ocean. As we were so high up, there was almost no road noise, yet you still felt like you were right on the beach. Our room had a huge wrap around deck, that we put to use for supper room service and breakfast. The terrace included a table, chairs for the table, and loungers. The huge bath tub was a nice touch. The only bad thing is that something went haywire with the A/C unit, and at 1AM, it was 74 in the room. I got up and turned it down, and was able to go back to sleep a couple hours later. The bathroom amenities were quite nice. I wish that there would have been bath salts, so I could make use of the tub, but that was the only amenity missing. The other room was a standard room, on the 14th floor with 2 queen beds.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
happy_go_lucky_guy,

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your room! I’m glad you were able to make use of the balcony and the tub. Sorry to hear about the issues your air condition; I’m glad it was resolved. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I'm writing this review hoping that the Manager gets to reads it. I first sent an email to the Raul Lopez Director of Guest Experience explaining that my upcoming stay was for my 5 year anniversary and that I wanted to surprise my wife with a wonderful weekend getaway. I also told him of a few dilemmas that I had. I will tell you that in all the times i have traveled and dealt with hotel concierge no one has come close to the proffesional, courteous, and helpful attitude that Raul Lopez exudes. He is truly an asset to the W. Raul thank you so much we appreciate everything you did for us. Also I want to mention some of Raul's co workers that made our stay memorable. Jay Jacobson, Derrick Nelson, and Bruna Carvalho all of whom did a fantastic job making our stay so wonderful. My hats off to the whole staff at the W. it's people like this that make the W a pleasure to visit.

Next I would like to comment about where I sent all of my days. I have read other reviews complaining about the pool personel. I tell you that my time spent there and it was everyday for 4 days was perfect. The first day we arrived we went to the pool around 1:30 and it was packed not a chair to be found we were just about to leave and head to the beach when a polite staff member named Danny asked us where we would like to sit. I told him that all the chairs looked taken , all he said was follow me. I couldnt believe it but with all the people around that pool he found us the perfect spot and we didnt even feel like we were crammed in. From that day forward as soon as he saw us he would immiediatly show us the way to the perfect spot. And if he was busy his co worker Alex would treat us the same way. I know they work for tips but I never felt once thats why they were helping us. I felt like they truly took their job serious and wanted to give great customer service. And as we would sit by the pool we would see Danny and Alex work their butts off helping everyone that walked into the pool area these guys were non stop. Alex and Danny thank you for making the pool experience very relaxing.

Now as for the wait staff. The servers have recieved bad reviews for the slow non existant service. I must disagree. Never in my 4 days did I have to track down a server. They went by me all day and always asked if we needed anything. And if we did it was brought very promptly. Especially the food. We would order and within 15 minutes tops we had our food. And thats even when the place was packed. So to the servers at the pool area keep up the hard work and know that you are apprieciated very much.

I will give a quick shout out to Steak 954, great meal, very knowledgeable wait staff, don't hesitate to make reservations you won't be sorry.

I will conclude my review by saying that all the staff at the W from the time we arrived till the time we left gave my wife and I impeccable service. The W will be the only hotel we will stay at when visiting Ft Lauderdale. Thank you to everyone at the W for a memorable stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
CtLifeisGood,

Thank you so much for sharing the details of your stay – and for celebrating with us! Happy Anniversary! I am so very happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. And thank you for highlighting so many of our Talent – I’ll be sure to pass along the kudos. We’re thrilled you had time to indulge at WET and Steak 954. We certainly hope to welcome you back again soon!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Not sure where to begin....

The Short:

Room- Decorations are tacky and not functional. Blood Stains on comforter
The Pool- Again dated. Tile was hideous, Umbrellas Tattered and Cushions need to be retired. Bring your own drinks or be prepared to wait 30 minutes or more from servers
Late Check Out- Not an option, even for a short period of time. They are trying to sell extra hours
Interior- Very dark and dim. Trying to be cool but it didn’t turn out well
Beach Towels- Don’t count on it. They will tell you they provide them but there were “none left” for us

Would not stay here again

The Long:

The Room- There are a very small amount of true ocean view rooms. I am not sure how one is assigned an ocean view but being a starwood member wasn’t enough for us. We did get a room on the 18th floor so for us, the view was ok. If you are on a lower floor, don’t expect much. There is a see through shower that a shaded glass bathroom door in the room. Neither provides and privacy. I would prefer an opaque restroom door at a minimum. The room was clean but W striving to be contemporary left more to be desired than an IKEA showroom. Also, my husband and I enjoy having coffee on the balcony in mornings. You can do that here because the only seating on the balcony is one plastic lounge chair that you lie down in with no cushion.

The Pool- It gets very crowded at the pool and the service is dismal. We did get good chair locations each day but we also tipped well so I am sure that didn’t hurt. Both days it was very difficult to get a drink. On day two we ordered a mid-level bottle of champagne so we could have drinks. They bring it in a champagne koozi but it does not keep the bottle cold. We would prefer a bucket of ice like all the other cheap bottles that were going around. The blue tile is tacky and dated around the pool. There is a way of doing a contemporary theme that is more upscale. The umbrellas were tattered as well as tired chair cushions.

The Beach- The Beach was nice so we decided to leave the blaring music at the pool and enjoy the ocean. I called the desk to see where we get towels for the beach. We were told that they would be available on the beach. We headed that way only to find out that there were no towels left and the W staff makes no effort to replenish or check on the status. When I told them what happened all they say is “I’m Sorry”….. What do you mean, you’re sorry. It takes me 30 minutes to get across the street because of the elevators and when I arrive no towels??? To me, there is no excuse for a beach front hotel. I can look over some things but not a bad pool or beach experience when you are located on the coast.

Internet- We were never able to connect to wifi. The girl at the front desk immediately sent me to a call center. I don’t want to sit in my room on the phone with a call center on vacation answering a bunch of ignorant questions. When I called back down to the front desk, they did offer to come to my room and take a look but I was ready to hit the pool.

Night Desk- I requested late check out by 1 hour. The guy at the front desk told me I could rent an hourly room the next day but that the hotel was completely booked on Sunday and that late check out could not be accommodated. This was untrue as I looked online and there were openings. I also was only seeking 1 extra hour in the morning and I thought they were being rude for no reason. 11am the next morning there was not a room cleaner in sight on our floor. Our room service breakfast was late and so we did not leave the room until 11:45 after having to choke down our food to comply with the hotel policy. I don’t know if they just wanted to make more money or what.

Hallways and Elevators- Elevators are extremely slow. Plan on waiting 7-10 minutes for a lift and stopping at every single floor as well. The elevators are so dark, its hard to see in them. Again W is trying too hard with the cool factor

Overall I would not stay here again. I heard that the Hilton next door has a much nicer pool. I also don’t like the staff acting as cool as they think they are. One Staff member did go above and beyond and his name was Derek. He should be general manager. Aside from that, not much going for them.

Room Tip: Request a room above 15th floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SophiaisPerfect
SophiaisPerfect,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay, though I’m sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns in great detail if you’d like to contact us GM.WFortLauderdale@Whotels.com and reference your Trip Advisor comment. We hope to hear from you soon.

Apopka, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a single night during business trip. Hotel was very nice and staff friendly. The only complaint is the valet service (no self park) is very slow. First time we got the car it took 20 minutes then the next morning when leaving early, we were the only ones getting our car and still took 15 minutes.

Bathtubs in the room was great.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Brian K,

I’m so glad our team was able to make your business trip all the more memorable. While I’m sorry to hear about the wait time at Wheels, I am happy to hear you liked the bathtub in your room! We hope to see you again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Nothing more to say. Steak 954 is located in this hotel and the food is the best. The hotel itself is awesome and right across from the famed beaches of lauderdale. I highly recommend this hotel and steak 954

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Eric D,

I’m glad you enjoyed Steak 954 and the location of the hotel. We hope to welcome you back again soon!