“Exceeded expectations”

Ranked #26 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Orlando, Florida
“Exceeded expectations”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stay at the W Ft Lauderdale 6-8 times per year - so I am very familiar with the hotel. When I checked in I was pleased to see that I had been upgraded a room on a higher floor. I love the views at this hotel - the oceanfront is great - but at night the intercoastal and city views are really pretty. My room was super clean - and the bliss spa face wash and lemon lotion that are in the room are great. The beds at this hotel are really comfortable - and it is quiet so you can sleep well. As a business traveler I sometimes eat in the bar at Steak 954. They have a wonderful crab, lobster & coconut ceviche - it is amazing. They also have a craft cocktail called a Lemonada that is no longer on the menu - but most of the bartenders will make it for you. Grey goose, house made Limoncello, basil and topped with champagne. Definitely worth trying. The staff in all areas are very attentive - and they will go out of their way to make your stay more enjoyable. This trip I asked for a tour of the E-Wow suite - if you can afford the suite book it. It's on the top floor of the hotel - oceanfront. I can't do this suite justice in an online description - my advice is to look it up. I did notice that they raised the valet rates - that is the one area that the hotel needs to improve. If you come out to valet from the opposite side of the main entrance they don't pay attention - and the valet area is a complete wind tunnel. I would recommend this hotel for business or vacation.

Room Tip: A higher floor is always nice - views of the ocean and intercoastal are both great. The mega room...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
LBosco, Guest Relations Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Jeanne G,
We love our regulars! Also, that you were able to tour our EWOW Suite which is simply breathtaking. Steak 954 and all of our outlets are always accommodating, glad you were able to still get your favorite cocktail. Anything, just ask! We can’t wait to see you on your next visit.

LBosco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,166)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rochester NY
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The facilities were fabulous. I loved the little touches like the welcome messages on the elevator rugs changing to the flavored water throughout the hotel. My highlight of the trip was the Beach Body workout with Ameer Riley. I aimed to work out at least 2 times during our 7 day stay and I ended up working out everyday on the beach because of that class. Ameer and Tremaine were amazing instructors. Having it right on the beach was invigorating. I absolutely loved it. Thank you so much for making our family vacation an outstanding one!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
MatildaRochesterNY,
So glad you enjoyed our Resort Programming Beach Boot camp. And our little touches, so glad you noticed! We are thrilled your family made memories to last a lifetime.

Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Outstanding service from the moment we arrived at the front desk until we checked out. The Oceanfront suite is an incredible upgrade. We loved the views, the high floor ocean breeze, the oversized terrace and the lounge furniture. It made our stay so enjoyable to have this private space as a retreat.
The main pool is pumping with energy and has a great vibe. However, we really enjoyed escaping to the more quiet, serene pool of Tower II with views of the intercoastal. This is where you can hide and relax in a quiet space.
Perfect place to enjoy a weekend getaway, pre or post cruise stay or to enjoy a south Florida full vacation. We would have liked to experience a casual dining option and didn't find one on property. Steak 954 was full and lively and looked enjoyable when we arrived late night on Friday. The Living Room and Whiskey Blue bars were energetic. The only negative mark I will give is the outrageously overpriced Valet parking, especially considering there isn't another option and the ridiculous mini bar prices which seem even more expensive then most high end hotels. Outside of that, well worth the stay.

Room Tip: splurge for a high floor ocean front accommodation and enjoy the view and breeze!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JillSGreatEscapes
Jill273,
So glad you experienced the vibe and energy that W Fort Lauderdale has to offer. Wet West is such a peaceful alternative depending on your wishes. Glad you enjoyed both Wet decks. We can’t wait to see you back in the future.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We decided to visit the W Fort Lauderdale for a short getaway over the weekend. We arrived around 7pm on Saturday and enjoyed a bite a a drink in the Living Room. The server was extremely attentive. We stayed in a spacious Spectacular Room with nice ocean and intracoastel views. The next day we hung out by the quieter Wet West pool. When ordering drinks the bartender remembered us from the previous night in the Living Room. She addressed us by name, which was most impressive. Overall a great getaway. Well done, W!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Tijs K,

I’m so glad you enjoyed your recent stay and that you had time to enjoy Living Room and WET West. It’s also great that you liked your room and the sweeping views. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 August 2014

we arrived at the hotel after a very long journey (14 hours) and wanted to check in and have a bite afterwards. however, they did not let us check in because our credit cards did not work. we gave them three different credit cards (my husbands, mine and our common credit card) and it was clear that they had a problem with their system. they made us call our credit card companies from our mobile phone (international which costs a lot!) and of course the credit card companies confirmed that everything is in order. the manager than asked for a cash deposit of USD 200!!! Please note, that we booked the room through a well known travel agent and already paid our stay (two nights) in advance!!! in the end we had to leave our credit card at the front desk and the manager called the credit card company directly. strangely enough, they accepted our credit card when we paid for dinner - just 1.5 hours afterwards!!!! we were so angry because they made us feel like criminals and it was clear that they had a problem with their credit card machine!! my husband and I never experienced such an unfriendly welcome!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
895Sebn895,
We apologize for your recent experience while checking into W Fort Lauderdale. Please contact us at GM.WFortLauderdale@Whotels.com so we can discuss the details further. We hope to hear from you soon.

Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We love the W and try to stay here as often as we can however we have encountered some major service issues and it usually has to do with the food companies they outsource to and this W was no different. . . we love coming here but some service issues left a sour taste in our mouth. ..

We were upgraded to nice suite but really only after I insisted and asked for a comp upgrade as my SPG platinum status didnt have any cache .. . (we were upgraded to Rm 2124 but only after we insisted on upgrade). . .this was despite it being my b-day and I mentioning to them this .. . the front desk clerk was very impotent and she finally asked for help from a manager who helped find an open room/upgrade this after the initial clerk saying there was nothing available.

The room was great and we had nice room/suite.. . but then we went to pool next day and the problems began. We had great time and we read in the menu that it stated that if leave without signing the check you will automatically will be charged a 10-15% tip (which is funny as they were losing out with me as I always tip 20%+ on bills) or something like that well we were never left our chairs and when we decided to go to the hot tub for 20 minutes and came back the server Christie closed out our tab and stated "we had left" which wasnt true as she could see us in hot tub (which is in general pool area) and when we asked for the check (knowing that we would be charged the "tip" for not signing the check) she stated that everything was alright well we insisted on the check and she stalled and we then asked for a manager and she stated she was "busy." we waited a good 20 mins for the manager to be called (we feel she never was called) and then we went to the front desk of the hotel and asked to speak with a manager ( we spoke with Bobby Harris at the front desk who was helpful and then he called the Whiskey Blue manager Kristin Dauss as they apparently outsource to these guys) and then they rectified the situation but why did it have to take all this drama for a simple issue.. .. . .this hasnt been the only time we have experienced service related issues and they always stem from the servers that the W outsources (Whiskey blue in chicago and whomever they outsource in W Hollywood). It was my birthday and all this drama left a very bad taste in my mouth and my wives mouth. . ...

We have reservations of staying here in the future....until these service related issues are fixed we wont stay here again.

Room Tip: Dont stay here until these service related issues are fixed.. . . . .
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RonanJordi
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Ledezmacjl,

Thank you for your sharing the details of your stay. While I’m glad we were able to welcome you over your Birthday, I’m sorry to hear of the challenges you experienced at WET. We’d welcome discussing the details of your stay further if you’d like to contact us GM.WFortLauderdale@Whotels.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Great service, very friendly staff, make sure to book your trips with Raul at the concierge desk. The best way to tour south beach Miami is via Sun Island tour with Andrew, and see all Ft.lauderdale and Miami have to offer. I will highly recommend The W to all my peers, friends and family. More to come on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
LBosco, Manager at W Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Decia B,

It’s great to hear that you’re enjoyed your trip and exploring all that South Florida has to offer! We look forward to your social media posts and hope the rest of your visit goes well!