“Will come back again!”

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had a wonderful experience during our stay at Il Lugano 3/3/14-3/7/14. I chose this property because of the excellent reviews on this site. I called directly to hotel and spoke to Sheila in reservations because I wanted to make sure that a quiet suite location was available. We stayed in a Lugano suite (712) and it was everything I hoped it would be; it was clean, modern, bed was very comfortable and quiet at night for sleeping. This suite had 2 balconies that overlooked the intracoastal waterway; one was off the bedroom and the other off the living room area. It was perfect! The housekeeping staff kept the room very clean everyday and upon request quickly brought us extra blankets. On site restaurant has a continental breakfast (bacon, scrambled eggs, potatoes, pastries, yogurt) that was included in our room rate. Server Wendy was excellent. When I walked in the restaurant on the 2nd day, she remembered I liked green tea! Another staff member I'd like to mention is bartender Jen. She took very good care of us in the lobby bar one evening during their happy hour. And their happy hour meatballs are fantastic! Next time we visit Fort Lauderdale, we will definitely come back to Il Lugano!

Room Tip: Lugano Suite facing intracoastal waterway was wonderful, highest floors.
1  Thank dszwick
ilLuganoHotel, Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear dszwick,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We appreciate you recognizing Sheila, Wendy, Jen, the housekeeping team and the rest of the staff as well. Thank you also for the nice words about the room, location and the food you experienced. We look forward to having you back again with us at the il Lugano!

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,356)

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Wonderful hotel, Helpful staff, Our room was a junior suite on the intercoastal side. Great views and easy to get around via water taxi. A nice walk to the beach about 5 blocks or so, great bose sound system in the room, Kitchen was well appointed. very much worth the trip!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kBrownfromchi-town

Dear kBrownfromchi-town,

Thank you kindly for the wonderful review. We are all delighted to see that you loved your time with us. I'm glad you were able to take full advantage of everything we have to offer! Come visit us again soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Valet and front desk service at check in was good. The room was disappointing, pretty beat up and the sofa bed not very comfortable even for our 8 year old. The sofa bed lacked linens but when asked for the bedding it was delivered immediatly. The bathroom door wouldn't close completely but it was late and we were tired so we didn't report it. At 8:45AM ( the first Sunday after daylight savings) we were woke by loud knocks from housekeeping who told me not to be mad because I neglected to put do not disturb on the door. I had to call 4 times to request room service, the front desk kept telling me the restaurant wouldn't pick up and she was the only one working and that the restaurant would have to call me back. Finally the restaurant called back 15 minutes later and our food arrived 30 minutes after that. The food was okay. Our neighbors were balcony smokers which drifted right onto our patio and into our room everytime we tried to enjoy the beautiful balcony intercoastal views and weather. This was the worst part. Not a horrible experience but for us it was very disappointing, especially for the price that we paid for a one night stay. We spent the rest of our trip was at a beachfront hotel at the same rate and a much better experience. We won't try this hotel again and I'm thinking of asking for my money back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jen H,

Thank you for your feedback from your time spent with us this month. No matter how our guests experience our property, we always appreciate comments and reviews from their stay. So with that said, I'm glad the valet and front desk were able to provide good service but I am terribly sorry about the room experience, the early knock and the smokers next door. I have passed along your comments to our team and have emailed you as well with a more detailed response. Again I appreciate your feedback and thank you very much for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Jen,who served us at the hotel lobby bar when we arrived,was just the perfect welcomer. She was knowledgable of the area and gave us some good leads on dining and activites while serving yummy bar specials. It started our stay in such a friendly fashion.great employee!

Dear Celine1016,

Thank you for acknowledging Jen as she is a wonderful employee to have on our team. I'm glad to hear you had a nice time in our bar with her and enjoyed the food and drinks too. You're more than welcome to join us again on your next trip to South Florida!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 12 March 2014

short trip to celebrate my birthday, hotel was amazing. When you walk in the hotel their is a scent in the air, it was so nice. Deyanna and other gal at front desk very gracious, gave us a very nice upgrade to 1 bedroom suite on intercoastal, tickets for a complimentary drink and box of chocolate! Room was wonderful, big and open, two balconies, great views and breezes. Kitchen had a small 2 burner stove top, microwave, full since fridge and dishwasher, no oven. Bed was very comfy, nice bathrobes too. Had drinks at bar, great bartender, wish I could remember her name, very nice. Restaurant was excellent too, had the table side mozzarella, was so good, as was rest of meal. Location on intercoastal was fun, watching all the boats cruise by. Beach was a short walk away, theywould give you a ride but we just walked it. All staff was great, valet guys, front desk, restaurant, housekeeping all helpful and great customer service. Plenty of restaurants in area, we cooked for ourselves for 2 of our nigts since we were able to get some fresh grouper right off a boat in Ft Lauderdale and it was a shame to not use and enjoy the balconies. Hotel was quite, had neighbors but never heard them. A beautiful hotel, will definately stay there again.

Room Tip: intercoastal rooms, the oven views are mainly parking lots and other condo complexes with ocean in d...
1  Thank Linda H

Dear Linda H,

A very happy birthday to you and thank you for enjoying it with us at the il Lugano. I appreciate you recognizing Deyana and our staff for the great service you received. We are delighted you had such a wonderful time with us! We look forward to your next stay with us.

Best Regards,

Director Of Operations

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Excellent service; front desk, housekeeping & valets all big smiles all of the time. Love all of the guys on the valet service. They are the definition of friendly, courteous great service. The kitchen is a great asset especially for an extended stay.

Room Tip: 1 bedroom suites are very roomy; overlook the intracoastal for a great view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank busytravelerbigapple
ilLuganoHotel, General Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for your kind review! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit and hope that we will see you more often! I will be sure to pass along your compliments to the team. Thank you again. Best regards Amanda Hawkins-Vogel / General Manager

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We must have stayed at this place a dozen times over the last few years and, despite our loyalty, have had an uneven ride. The last visit was just about the last straw.
After a stressed day being messed about by an airline – there was an aircraft, a flight attendant, but no pilots, resulting in a five-hour delay – followed by another with a series of medical appointments, all we wanted to do was cook some pasta bought from Publix supermarket down the road and crash out. The blurb says “pots and pans available on request”. What it does not say is how long they take to arrive. In our case it was more than an hour, and only after four calls to reception.
It was a similar situation to the time when we arrived at 11pm, again hours late thanks to an airline, and after traveling transatlantic so it was actually 4am on our body clocks, to find the sofa bed not made up despite the fact we had requested it to be done for our teenage daughter who was traveling with us. There was no spare bedding in the room, housekeeping had gone home, and “I’m the only person on duty other than the security person and, no, I cannot bring up sheets and pillows…” from the person who answered the phone. The security guy eventually brought up a sheet and our daughter used a cushion from the sofa.
This is supposedly a four-star hotel – and it no doubt ticks the boxes that enable it to make that claim – but ticked boxes do not add up to good-class hospitality. True, it is in a reasonable location – we have liked it because it is close to the North Federal Highway shops in Fort Lauderdale – but at the end of the day it is how you are made to feel which makes all the difference. And, sure, we have felt a difference, but on occasions not the one we wanted.
We have complained about the unhelpful attitude of some reception staff in the past – I am not referring to the incidents above – but it is still a bit of a lottery as to who you get.
Then there is attention to detail. I have complained several times over the months that the computer in the lobby available to guests to check in to flights and print out boarding passes does not have the software update needed to allow me to access the website of the airline I use most of the time. A couple of times reception staff have undertaken to do it for me on their office system behind the scenes. But has anyone bothered to do the update on the lobby PC? I think you can guess the answer.
We still feel soured by our recent experience. Will we get over that and just remember the location, the comfortable rooms, nice views, and very decent room service continental breakfast, I suppose time will tell. At the moment the answer is No.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Stuart G

Stuart - thanks so much for your detailed and candid review. I would like to apologize on behalf of IL Lugano for the issues you experienced with our team and service.

As you mentioned we have a great location and some fantastic things to offer our guests but without great service we have nothing. You should know that I take comments such as these very seriously and I will be discussing this particular review with my management team so they can address this and take proactive measures to rectify this immediately.

We truly appreciate your business and hope that we may have an opportunity in the future to redeem ourselves. Best regards - Amanda Hawkins-Vogel/General Manager