“Tres Chique, but not Magnifique.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
new brunswick
“Tres Chique, but not Magnifique.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2009

We stayed at the Il Lugano on Feb 26th to the 28th for a pre cruise stay. We arrived at 4:30 pm to be told that the room was not yet ready so we waited, and waited and waited. Finally at 6pm after a long and agonizing discussion with the manager, he offered to treat us to appetizers and a drink at the restaurant. The flat breads where nice and the carpaccio excellent. At 6:30 we finally got a room. We had a view of the city, which was alright. The room was nice and large, nice bathroom and the bose sound system was a nice touch. Bed's where comfortable also. Throughout our entire stay, it felt like the staff was asleep. They where poorly trained, and un interested. The breakfast was a complete joke. The "buffet" is a collection of banana bread, a few cupcakes and a granola bar. No warm food as in Pancakes, Waffles , ect. There was a plate full of Mangos that tasted like cardboard. The waiters/waitresses where a complete failure. We waited 20 mins for a god ***** cup of coffee. A nice touch was the Escalade service and when we asked to be picked up at a certain time on Las Olas, they where there on time, which is always great. When we checked out, and went on our cruise, we noticed that my husband forgot his electric shaver. Brand new, worth about 380 CDN. We called the hotel, went through house keeping and they had no idea where it was. It was left in our room 1002 and they most likely took it, then when we called again, we got the response of " Oh, no we do not have it ". Also, I wrote an email to Il Lugano requesting information, but you have to go through the reservation service online, and they did not respond , which is a complete joke. Obviously someone from there staff took it, because there is no other explanation. We didn't pack it and it's gone. So thank you Il Lugano for taking a wonderful 380 dollar Panasonic Shaver.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Turkish first
Jackson Hole
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2009

Everything about this property is great. Staff is great. The rooms are great. The restaurant is awsome. Sit at the counter by tthe kitchen if they have room. it is a great experiance. This is my new favorite hotel in Ft Lauderdale and I will be staying there everytime.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Peterborough, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2009

Staying at any hotel in FL over Xmas can be a variable experience. We go a lot and have tried several. This year we took a cruise and then stayed for an extra week in FL at the Il Lugano after first booking the Largo Mar and deciding we couldn't justify the price.
The positives: The Il lugano is in an excellent location, two bocks from the beach, handy for the water taxi and offers complimentary shuttle service in stunning Escalades to just about anywhere you want to go. The hotel has a superb gym and sauna. Finally the rooms are just about the best I have ever stayed in, go for an intracostal view, and perfectly clean and tidy. It's stylish and chic, excellent to lounge outside and despite the price tag, it just about justifies it.
The negatives: The reception staff are casual to the point of being disinterested - poorly trained and lacking initiative. Valet parking is a rip off as they park the car in the garage beneath the hotel but there's no self-park option. You can feed meters nearby but this is not relaxing! During the whole seven days, every time I asked for my car, it wasn't ready or they forgot. Every time I returned to the hotel I was asked if I was checking in. They weren't exactly busy - maybe 20 suites full - how do they cope in Summer? The restaurant looks very stylish but is unwelcoming and we didn't eat there with so many value options nearby. Finally the pool has been built in the wrong place - in the shade on the north side of the hotel and never sees the sun.
Overall, it is too chic to ignore. For a night or two pre- or post- cruise, these are the most comfortable rooms in the FL area. But the place lacks atmosphere and the staff let them down. We called in at the Largo Mar and it was bustling and very friendly, if a little dated, but we will stay there next time.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2009

My two girlfriends and I arrived at the Il Lugano on Friday Feb. 20 at around 11am. as we were in Fort Lauderdale for a relaxing long weekend to get away from the hustle and bustle of "life". We actually could see the hotel as we crossed over the Intercoastal Waterway on the draw bridge. As we pulled up to the hotel in our rental car, we were impressed at the appearance of the hotel from the outside. We immediately noticed the parking meters directly in front of the hotel as well as the parking lot directly across the little street and parked in front of the hotel in a metered spot. Before we took our luggage out of the car, we went into the hotel to check in hoping that maybe our room would be ready even though it was so early. We were greeted by some very nice door men- one named Andrew who was very helpful throughout our 4 day stay. When you first step into the lobby, it is very nice. You are greeted with two cases of Chihuly glass sculptures as well as light fixtures. The concierge is to the right and a small lobby bar to the left. The front desk staff were waiting for us (it seemed) as we got their full attention. We gave our name and they informed us that check in time was at 3 or maybe 4 (I forgot, exactly- but it certainly was not at 11am) but that they thought our room was ready. She immediately called housekeeping so they could do an inspection and she suggested that we wait a few minutes and that should we walk away, she would call me on my cell phone. Well, we immediately went to the new Todd English restaurant in the hotel called da Campo Osteria which was just opening for lunch as we arrived. ( Apparently, Todd English ate there on Saturday morning.) We ate a little something, which was above average, ( a pasta dish and a burger with the most delicious rolls) and 30 minutes later, when we went to the desk, our room was ready. We went up to our room on the 10th floor and we were very happy to see that our room overlooked the Intercoastal Waterway. When I called to book the room, I requested a higher floor with 2 beds and that is exactly what we got as we were on the top floor. We were very suprised to find a full sized refridgerator, washer and dryer, microwave and a 2 burner stove with a complete set of dishware, glassware and flatware as well. The bathroom was nice because the shower was separated from the toilet and with 3 ladies sharing 1 room, that's important. We had a very nice view from the balcony which had 2 chairs and a small table on it. We could see all different boats on the Intercoastal all weekend which was really relaxing. The concierge was very helpful to us as we requested information about the Escalade Service, the Boating service as well as some events that were going on in town over the weekend (Food Network Wine and Food event in South Beach) as well as restaurant suggestions on Las Olas Blvd. One concierge printed out all of the info for us about the show in South Beach. Another very helpful staff member was Angel. We could not find our way back from the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino on Friday night and we called the hotel and he got us back to the hotel with very simple directions. We also found out that the hotel has laptops for use free for 1 hour at a time so that other guests may use them as well. That was a VERY helpful ammenity to have during our entire stay. We just took it up to our room and then brought it back downstairs.

On Saturday morning, my friend took the Escalade to Jazzercise class. If it is within a 3 mile radius, they drop you off and you call when you are ready to return. My other friend and I took the Escalade to go and pick her up. We had the nicest driver, Jorge. He knew a lot about the various restaurants and was very pleasant. Even though we had our own car there, we did want to take the Escalade since we weren't sure where we were going. Later that day, another concierge recommended a new restaurant ,YOLO, to us and attempted to make a reservation for us although the restaurant was not taking any more reservations for that evening but suggested that we arrive around 6:30 and we could "walk- in". The Escalade will take guests down to Las Olas even though it is further away than the 3 miles. She said she had 2 guests going to Las Olas at 6pm and would we ride with them. We had a fantastic driver from Philly named Tom. He was quite a character and we really liked him as well. We got down to Las Olas in about 20 minutes and we were able to get a table outside at YOLO so we appreciated, once again, the suggestion and coordination by the concierge. Around 9pm, our friend decided that she wanted to go back to the hotel rather than continue shopping and so we called the hotel and they told us that the Escalade was picking up someone at 9:15 at a location and could she meet them there and sure enough, at 9:15, they were there. My friend and I decided to take the water taxi back so we could see and hear about all of the boats and mansions. The cost was $7 after 7pm and it drops you off at Shooters, which is a 10 minute walk from the hotel. VERY easy and enjoyable.

Sunday, we got up early and left for Miami for the day. The reason I say this is because if you rent a car and park it in the garage at the hotel, it is $25 per day. At the meter, you have to pay Every Single Day from 8am to 6pm, but if you are gone most of the day like we were, you arent spending any money, really. I think it was 50 cents per hour. It was free from 6pm until 8am so that's when the car was mostly there and it was free. Sunday, we left at 8 and got back at 5:30 so parking for that day was only 50 cents.

Checking out on Monday morning was a breeze. We split the charges 3 ways and they were very accommodating at taking the various forms of payment.

Now, I want to go over a few things-

Although we did not use the pool, I did go and look at it. It is small as some have said and it was shady when I saw it, but there were lounge chairs all around it as well as a couple of "pub" tables with 2 chairs. They did, however, have some white lounge "beds" outside that 2 people could fit on and they were in use during the day as people used that area to lay in the sun along the Intercoastal. They had little "cabana" s over so you could block some of the sun if you wanted to. They had great ammenities at the hotel such as the restaurant on site, the gym, the lounge "beds", the very nice lobby and most importantly, the service. I don't think anyone could have been more helpful as they were going out of their way to make sure we had a nice stay. Sean (maybe a manager?) came out from behind the desk to shake our hands and welcome us. VERY nice. There are no vending machines in the hotel, but a Walgreen's across the street. ALSO, It was about 11:30pm and the restaurant had closed and I was thirsty. I called down to the front desk and asked if there was anywhere to get a soda and he said there really wasn't but that he would make sure I got one. He called me back in 5 minutes and had a soda for me. I beleive his name was Rafael ( I am not good with names, sorry), but that was above and beyond. He could have just told me to walk over to the Walgreens. I felt that the staff really goes out of their way to help which is contrary to what others on this board have said.

Here are the only drawbacks-

When we arrived, our next door neighbor had ordered room service and the plate was outside their door and it stayed there for a day and a half. The housekeeping did not empty our trash cans every day but of course made our beds, replenished the towels and did the turn down service so they did have opportunities to do it. Also, they did not replenish the soap, shampoo, etc. daily. During our stay, they had also run out of wash cloths so we were given extra towels. I am not sure how you run out of wash cloths.

Those really are the only things that I have to say about the entire stay that are not complimentary.

All in all, it was a great experience and a beautiful hotel which I am looking very forward to visiting again in the very near future.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank wild1apache
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

Thought the price was good- and a fairly new hotel, so we booked it for a night before cruise, even though it was not on the ocean- it's about a half mile walk. Got there around 2- room not ready- said go have lunch and come back. Still no room when we got back- no explanation- we finally got in the room at 5 pm. We requested a double- the room was a queen. Called the desk- they said it was the only room available. Looked at the coverlet at the bottom part of the bed- it was stained- looked like blood- a huge area of the coverlet. Called the desk again- housekeeping came and agreed it did look like blood. No shuttle service was available the day we were there- very busy they said, although the website makes a big deal about having this service available. Also, checked out the pool- it is in the shade- sandwiched between 2 buildings- shade the entire day. There was not enough outside seating for customers.I am not happy with this hotel and would not suggest it to anyone. No apologizes from anyone- other customers had similar complaints to ours- they told one person there was no management available on weekends to hear her complaint. The "free" breakfast was mediocre and we were not waited on because we were not paying customers- when we did ask the server for coffee she rolled her eyes at us and made another person get it- and it took 10 minutes.I have never ever written a review for a hotel- but felt strongly that people should know there are many other hotels available in Ft. Lauderdale with MUCH better service. I will not go there again, and am about to email their manager right now.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Bonton2014
Wilmette, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

Our room was spacious, clean, and ultracontemporary with high-end finishes. It also offered a distant view of the ocean. We arrived late (11pm) and were starving, but were disappointed to learn that there was no room service available, and no mini bar with snacks/drinks.
The person who checked us in was very friendly, but the service went downhill from there. The breakfast experience suggested that the staff haven't been properly trained to work in a restaurant (it seemed like it was everybody's first day on the job -- from the hostess to the waiters, etc.).
When attempting to check out of our room by phone, we were told that we were required to do so in person. Consequently, we waited in a long line at the front desk, only to be told that there was no additional action necessary.
The showers in the "spa" (next to fitness room) weren't equipped with soap, shampoo, or TOWELS.
This is a beautiful property that could eventually warrant a high review once the staff is trained properly.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2009

This was my 4th time staying there. I thought by now, they would have their act together. No such luck.

Il Lugano is a fantastic property with very expensive finishes & touches throughout.

But the staff is untrained, poorly supervised, uncaring and unapologetic about everything.

For example, when the maid didn't come and it was 5:30 pm, the desk said "well, they have until 6:00 pm to clean your room".

At breakfast, don't depend on the wait staff for anything. You'll have to raid other nearby tables for clean silverware, sugar, etc. If you ask for cream with your coffee, don't expect them to come together. The cream will come 15 minutes later when your coffee is cold.

Price was "ok" and I'd say even "good" if the service matched the appearance.

Stayed January 2009