Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great place”
Reviewed 24 August 2009

This was an excellent hotel for a small weekend getaway. Great deal for the quality of hotel. The valet sometimes took a while though, so pack your patience. The pool area was small, but they do have a nice spot to lay out that's looking over the intracoastal. It's within walking distance of some cool restaurants in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, but not really walking distance to the nightlife on Fort Lauderdale beach or Las Olas. They had a free driver service for us when we were there...I think they'll take you anywhere in a 3 mile radius of the hotel, so definitely take advantage of that. Make sure you get the hotel's number when you use it though as you have to call them back when you want to be picked up.

Would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Turkish first
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 9 August 2009

The rooms are awesome! The balcony is nice - get a room overlooking the Intracoastal. The kitchen is fully-stocked, and the bed - super comfortable. The free ride in the Escalade is cool - ask to be taken down to Las Olas - you can take the Water Taxi back to the hotel and it's only $7 after 7 p.m. The hotel is also in walking distance to Walgreens, a really good pizza place, laid back bars and yummy restaurants. The beach is across the street. Staff was OK - I guess it depends on who you get.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Troy, PA
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I stayed at the Il Lugano for business. The valet driver picked me up and dropped me back off at the airport and was extremely friendly and helpful. I was always greeted by name at the front desk, and my room overlooked the intracoastal waterway and was gorgeous. I will definitely recommend this hotel to friends & family.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank chellecia
Chippenham, England
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights so some relaxing before we went to Washington DC for 4th July. We really enjoyed the stay here and cannot really fault it.

Good Points:
1) Quiet Area of Fort Lauderdale
2) Near to the beach and it was fairly quiet due to distance from Las Olas Boulevard
3) Staff really helpful
4) Modern hotel
5) Provided ceiling fan or air con in rooms
6) Bus stops really close so you can get to Sawgrass Mills Mall, Las Olas Boulevard etc for $3 all day fare
7) Hotel provides free transport within 3 miles or if you are going to Las Olas Boulevard

Bad Points:
1) Make sure you was for a room overlooking the waterways since sea view rooms you see more of the parking lot
2) If you are looking to be right in the middle of everything not the place for you
3) Due to no door between the kitchen and bedroom you can hear the fridge when it cools itself down

Overall we would stay at the hotel again

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
FL
Reviewed 9 June 2009

We live in New Smyrna Beach FL, but my husband travels to Ft L every other month or so for business and this is one of the places we stay. It is def. a very nice hotel, being new and modern, it offers that peace of cleanliness and comfort. We usually have a suite and the rooms are spacious with a stocked kitchen. The linens/beds and towels are super comfy and the balconies are large and very importanly, PRIVATE. Yes, it overlooks the parking lot but still has a nice ocean view...especially at night. You can see all the lights and the moon reflecting off of the ocean...pretty.

The Pool: Everyone on here complains about the pool being shaded 99% of the time. OK, people...you have to be a little smarter and a bit more creative. I also was disappointed the 1st time I saw the pool and the tall building occupying the sun's rays...BUT all you have to do is move your lounge chair at an angle and you have FULL SUN the majority of the day. The pool os heated so it's a nice temp. and the lounge chairs are padded so it really is a very relaxing aspect of the hotel. My only complaint would be that the staff does not restock the pool towles enough so you have to ask the staff yourself for fresh towels.

The staff: Def. a bit amateurishand sometimes unfriendly/snobby/flaky. It depends on yoru luck and who you run into. The front desk is probably the least bit welcoming of the bunch.

Parking: Lose-lose situation. Valet is crazy expensive ($30/day) or you have the option of meter parking (free after 6:00 pm)...but still a pain. Watch out for tickets!! The meter police are out at 8:00 a.m. writing tickets...seriously.

I never heard of the free breakfast...not sure if they changed this but we did not get free breakfast. The restaurant on site is crazy expensive but there are places near by and on the strip to eat....or get delivery to your room.

Nice hotel besides a few hiccups...depends on who you are and your preferences (beware of ignorant or yuppy reviews).

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
washington, dc
Reviewed 4 June 2009

I recently traveled with my "BFF" to Ft. Lauderdale for a weekend getaway. Our goal was rest and relaxation, because we were completely wiped out from the stress of work. We got this and more from our stay at the Il Lugano Hotel. The staff was awesome especially Alana and Marianne, who came up with the best recommendations on how to enjoy the city. If you’re a fun and adventurous person, I highly recommend the drag show at LIPS. The dinner at da Campo Osteria, a Todd English restaurant, offered numerous, mouth-watering dishes to try and something that is not advertised is the private boat owned by the hotel. Ask for a private boat tour, which will run you about $75 per hour but well worth the ride, and end your evening with an in-room spa treatment.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
NY
Reviewed 1 June 2009

The hotel looks like a 4 star hotel, smells like a 4 star hotel and desperately wants to be a 4 star hotel but sadly, the staff is some of the worst, if not the worst, that I have encountered. I have stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels and this is not one of them. The staff was worse than even 3 star hotels. First I pull up in a car and no one, NO ONE , is in front of the hotel, it wasn't until I was a few feet from entering that someone came out, but he didn't even offer to help me with my bags at all, he just asked if i was checking in. He was a bellhop too.
Then when I went to check in the front desk woman was clearly on a personal call and took a few minutes with it before getting around to little ole me. The room is very nice, I will give them that. They have absolutely no bottled water in the room. None, at all! Ive never seen that before. I was hungry when I got in, it was a little after 3pm and tried to call the front desk, concierge, and room service and no one answered. Eventually I was able to get someone live and asked them about room service. In the room directory, even though there is no menu it says that they have 24hr room service. But no, I had to wait until 6pm to order something. So if you are hungry, order between 6pm and 11pm or go hungry. I couldn't believe it, they had nothing available. So my food arrives and though I really don't care for the prepping of the dinnerware and what not that they usually do, I desperately missed it after this. First off, I ordered a pizza, which he came in and put it down on the coffee table, on top of a book that was on it. It was on a little brick oven thing and wrapped in foil. So just like that, not on a tray, nope, just by itself. Then he brought in a tray with my fries and water on it. No lemon slices, even though I requested them, no extra ketchup, no salt, no pepper, you know the standards you shouldn't have to ask for. And then he brought in my plate of cupcakes, and they had no cover on them, so he brought them up from the kitchen like that, uncovered? Eewl. Also, I didn't get any extra plates to put my pizza on, not that it was on a plate to begin with, no silverware at all, not even any napkins. Dead serious. And he put the tray on the desk next to my computer and the pizza on the table on my book??? Hideous, the whole staff was just a disgrace, with no common sense at that. I usually get won over by the staff, so that's a huge issue for me. The food was also not too good. The pizza was so-so. A thin and soggy crust and I highly doubt it was fresh. The parm. fries, and I love parm. fries and have had them from quite a few places, well they were soggy as well with no flavor too them, even the ones that were plain were tasteless. They should have used truffle oil. And the cupcakes look and taste store bought. I was just so astonished at how truly horrible the entire staff was. You think with all these reviews saying so, that they would do something about this, but I suppose not. Overall, Id say its a 3 star (only because the rooms and decor are nice) parading as a 4 star hotel. Go elsewhere. The crown plaza is inexpensive and very nice, stay there.

Stayed June 2009, travelled on business