“Great Hotel - Car service is ok”

Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 13 October 2009

The hotel itself is beautiful and we had the 1 bedroom suite on the top floor which was WONDERFUL!! The concierge was great - drove my boyfriend to surprise me with roses and wine :-) The bar was great - reasonably priced I thought and the bartender, Lisa, was top notch. Honestly, everything from atmosphere to the pool even to the free continental breakfast were to my liking except their free car service. I feel like if they are going to offer the service, then there should either be a way for it to be available or just don't offer it unless I come downstairs and you surprise me with "guess what we have a car available to take you where you want to go!" It was annoying to constantly be told, "no it's not here and we don't take reservations, but we hear you on the phone saying the 1:15 is ready". Yet, I would definitely stay there again just for the rooms and the service!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Intracoastal/Il Lugano

Reviewed 13 October 2009

Nice size rooms with fully equipped kitchen (except oven), very clean, housekeeping cleans twice a day, terrace spacious. Most personnel very attentive and friendly, few with attitudes though. Pool is not so bad as some people describe, better to be in shadow most of the day, otherwise too hot, could make pool area more kid friendly though. 10 minute walk to beach which or take the beach buggy. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2009

I'm sorry but this place is great! I got a great deal on Hotwire.com but would totally be willing to pay more to stay here again. I agree with an earlier comment on here that it resembles a W Hotel without trying to nickel and dime you for every little service. The rooms are very spacious and modern and I was in the Junior Suite which is the smallest of the bunch. The bed was incredibly comfortable with great view! LCD tv, Satellite TV, full size refrigerator and stove! You can bring your own booze and food in without getting the evil eye from the front desk! Free Wi-FI!!! Usually the top end hotels... including the W nickel and dime you for that. Front desk was amazingly helpful. I forgot shaving cream and some was sent up to me 15 minutes free of charge.

The only one negative is that the pool area is blocked from the sun for most of the day. The do have cabanas on the other side that compensates for this. Not a big deal but it might be for those who like to sun by the pool!

Great place! Other hotels should take notes from Il Lugano!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We travel to Fort Lauderdale/ Miami probably 4 to 6 times a year and this is our favorite place even though we have to drive far sometimes to Miami or other areas of interest.
The hotel is exquisit, the decoration, the glass blown chandelliers, the floors and the orchids all over the lobby area. We have been paing alower rate I guess it's slow season for everybody now.
Traveling with a 3 year old has been so convinient since we have a full kitchen, washer and dryer and we can at least have a healthy breakfast and dinner at "home".

I would like them to open another hotel in Miami or any other southern Florida location, their suites are superb, they all have views of the water channels and yatchs.

The only downside is the service, it seems like in order to keep up the place which is always in mint condition they have saved in staff and the few people they have in the lobby have too much work. But again, for the price they are charging now we can help ourselves.
The place is beautiful, it is located in a very safe residential area, and you feel like you are at home.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I know, the title is not what you'd expect. We booked our room on Hotwire...we're a young couple just starting out and we love nice things. Getting a 4 star hotel for Red Roof prices is what we love because we can spend the rest of the time/money shopping and eating well. Anyhow, the hotel is in a more residential area, which would probably be more appealing for business travelers. We're not partiers by any stretch, but this hotel is out of the way of pretty much everything you'd want. They make up for it with cheaper parking and their Escalade service.

When we checked in we had a great feeling, Becky the night manager was awesome. We get to our room and it is stunning, the ocean view is nice and everything felt pretty luxurious. We hurried and got our Iphones and Ipods out of our bags to dock them because it was such a cute idea. The toiletries were NOT european/Bvlgari. It was Chrome by Azzaro, yeah the men's cologne. When we travel we try like the dickens to make sure we're only using carry-ons, so I didn't pack soap , shampoo, lotion or conditioner (and I have a LOT of hair...more than most have ever seen) so I was stuck using a men's fragrance. It was a complete turn off to my boyfriend that he's lying in bed with me smelling like an Abercrombie ad. When I asked at the front desk in the morning if they had anything less masculine the person at the desk looked at me like she didn't know what masculine meant and just kept on saying "what?". Then she shouted at me that whatever was in the room was what they had. (apparently the cheap rooms get the cheap toiletries, I'm still fighting a rash from the one time use of the highly fragrant shampoo) I told her nevermind and we just drove around the corner to Walgreens (bring quarters because it's all metered parking, even the stores). I also asked for a toothbrush as soon as we checked in and I assume I'm still waiting for it.

The valet was slothish in the morning and we'd stood outside for probably 3-4 minutes when someone opens the door and asks "have you decided what you're gonna do?" and I said we're waiting on valet, he tells me he is valet and I explained we had no idea because before when we'd assumed they would be outside and he just grumbled something about it being hot. I hate valet for this reason. I feel like if I want to go I want to go right now.

We originally rented a Cadillac...not our choice but the guy at the rental didn't quite understand when we kept on asking what else would be available in that class. So we went back in the morning and traded it in for a Hybrid Camry. I know this seems to not be important, but it plays a big part in the rest of the story. We went out and enjoyed the town and came back and got ready to go to dinner. It was my boyfriend's birthday and I was surprising him with dinner at Ruth's Chris which is within 5 miles of the hotel. Well we waited for 45 minutes to get our car, only to be told that our keys were lost. They finally gave in to my request to get the Escalade and drive us. We had reservations and again...this is a birthday celebration. We're both trying to continue to smile about it and not make it a big deal, but other patrons are realizing what's going on and laughing about it. The whole scene that night was ridiculous. When I called for them to pick us up they told us they'd found it, they were looking for the Cadillac and not the Camry. Well our intent was to go to South Beach after dinner, but those plans were ruined.

We were blamed for the parking situation, we never brought it up, the staff did. They said they asked us what we were driving and we said a red Cadillac...not true. I kept on saying "the light blue Camry!", I'm sure they'd just remembered we were the 20 somethings in the big red Caddy. There was no apology, only blaming us because no one in the history of life has ever switched out their rental car. And remember, we'd obviously parked it with them an hour and a half prior to us going to get it...so SOMEONE in the valet team knew we were in a different car.

The free breakfast was good enough that we didn't step out to go elsewhere our entire stay. My only suggestion to them would be to get one non-pork breakfast meat, maybe some turkey bacon. The service in the restaurant was attentive and they remembered our names and had nice conversations with us.

We wouldn't stay here again. It seems to be a 3 star hotel masquerading as a 4 star. When they get their service even on par with say a Holiday Inn I would be more than happy to go back. We both travel quite frequently and stay in lots of different hotels and I can personally say I've yet to experience service this terrible in such a beautiful environment. This reminds me of my college road trip days at say the Extended Stay hotels where you expect the worst and you're pleasantly surprised if someone cracks a smile at you to say "Good Morning".

If someone else paid the full price of a night's stay I may go just to see if the service is better when you pay more. But because we paid only $70 a night I think we were treated like cheapskates. We'll probably be at the Westin or the W the next time we make a trip to Ft Lauderdale.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2009

We had a great time at il Lugano excellent service, staff is awesome, the cleanliness in all areas impressive. Highly recomended if you are a very picky one choosing a place to stay, departments that impressed us 100% ;housekeeping on how thet took care of our room and mainteinance when we requested some assistance with our TV in the room the person who came right away was exceptional helpful and attentive. 100% recomended

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2009

I needed a hotel for two nights and found il Lugano via a search of area hotels. The hotel is new, the rooms are huge and the service is outstanding. The first night I had a burger, fries, a salad and a beer delivered to the room for $12 plus tax and tip. This was a special price available every night of my stay. The burger was one of the best I ever ate and the price was unbelievably reasonable. The rooms are huge and come with a little kitchen, making this a perfect place for a short vacation to Ft. Lauderdale, although most of the other guests appeared to be business folks like me flying solo. The staff was attentive and very friendly. The main drawback is the location. This looks like one of the last (if not the last) hotels built in Ft. Lauderdale and the site is not near any conveniences. If you don't eat in the hotel's restaurant the pickings are slim for meals and nothing is within walking distance (except maybe Dominos). I can overlook the inconvenience of the location because the hotel itself is very nice and, at least for now, they are running amazing internet specials.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business