“Old type of hotel in fairly good location”

Best Western Plus Oceanside Inn
Ranked #19 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Most expensive hotel on our week of vacation in Marco Island, Ft Lauderdale and St. Petersburg. Unfortunately for us there were HS swim teams staying at the hotel. We walked into our second floor room and had 20+ people right outside our window. We had to close our curtains even though it was sunny outside. We went to the beach and when we arrived back the "deck" outside our room was full of the same hs students and chaperones. The talking, etc continued to about 11 pm that night. The next day they must have left the hotel as it was quieter. Beds are worn.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 February 2011

I had read all the reviews of this hotel and I think that the bad ones were unnecessarily harsh and picky. This is an older hotel so it has some minor issues, yes the elevator is a bit slow but not that bad. Yes the lobby is a bit tacky, and the housekeeping staff were loud in the hallways. But the rooms and bathrooms were very clean, breakfast all that you could ask for in the setting and the location is excellent. You can walk out the back and around the corner to the beach. At almost every other hotel except for the Sheraton you have to cross the main drag to get to the beach. We stayed for a week and enjoyed every minute. Often we would start our evening in the lounge, the bartender there was terrific. We stayed Christmas week so I think the rates were a bit higher being peak season, but when you factor in how much you save on breakfast for the week, and the fact that we could walk everywhere it was decent value. Water taxi across the street and a short walk to lots of shops and restaurants. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank catballou57
Reviewed 20 February 2011

You can't beat the location, but in the rooms the bath tile was chipped, drawers were askew, walls, trim and doors needed painting. Towels, sheets and pillows were clean, as was the bathroom. Only five minutes walk to the beach and ten to the water taxi. The entire hotel seemed a little dingy but for two nights it was OK. Wish they had a shuttle from the airport but for the price I didn't expect one.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank max437
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I am the travel agent of passengers who were booked to stay at this property. My passengers specifically requested a Best Western property that would be closest to Port Everglades, and I was more than happy to accommodate their request. I booked my clients at this property for 2 reasons, 1. I was informed that my clients would be able to park their vehicle at the property for a fee of 10.00 a day* (will revisit this issue later) and 2. that shuttle/taxi service would be available for my clients (for a fee) to get from the property to the cruise port. My clients were already in the Ft. Lauderdale area, prior to their cruise, and they stopped in to visit the location. Upon their arrival at the front desk, they were informed that they CANNOT park/leave thier vehicle at the property while they cruised (for any price or fee) and 2. no shuttle service is provided. They arrived to check out the property on Feb 9th, their reservation was for Feb 11th. My clients called me in a panic, stating that this property cannot/will not accommodate their travel needs, and will not cancel their reservation without penalizing them a cancellation fee of 1 nights stay. Now.... back to the issue of parking as mentioned earlier: I spoke to 2 different people at the property verbally on the phone regarding the parking. I was told it was ok for my passengers to park their vehicle at the property. My question/their response ended up in a misunderstanding that my clients CAN park their vehicle, they just cannot LEAVE their vehicle during their cruise. This is the main reason my passengers wanted to stay here. To penalize the passengers is ridiculous and unnecessary. I attempted to reason, discuss, and practically beg the manager of the property to please waive the penalty for my passengers who had nothing at all to do with the misunderstanding. Apparently, she feels it necessary to be "right" rather than reasonable, and would not waive the cancellation fee. The next issue, was the shuttle service. The hotel does not provide the service, but i was assured they had no problem arranging for taxi/shuttle service for their guests. If this is the case, then why tell the guests that this is a service that is not available? Yet, another example of poor customer service. I was given the run around about who i needed to speak to for resolution on this issue, and when I should call, and I am the travel agent! I shudder to think what guests who do not have travel agents to look out for their best interests encounter from this property when conflict arises. As it stands, my clients are now charged a penalty (which i strongly suggested they dispute). I will NEVER recommend this property to any client of mine for any reason. Management is suppose to lead their staff by example and if the management is any example of how this property operates and treats its guests, this property is in serious trouble.

• Stayed: February 2011
4  Thank laura1120
Reviewed 9 February 2011

We stayed overnite after disembarking from a cruise ship. Knowing it was an early check in, I did not expect to have a room by 10 am, but was told that the room would be ready by 1 pm possibly. We walked up the beach for lunch and came back at 1 pm and was told that housekeeping would be contacting the desk shortly at 1 pm to let them know their progress in room prep. The front desk said they would find us by the pool and let us know if there was a room available. We waited for an hour and half and I had to enquire again, and we settled for a double bed room rather then a queen because my son was so tired. I just wanted to get him into a room to sleep. I felt rather ignored at this hotel. THe lobby is tired and the rooms have been renovated. Seriously I would not pay 158 dollar per nite for this hotel and I didn't, having used a gift card. This property is overpriced and tired. The breakfast buffet was a plus for this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2011

My wife and I have stayed overnight at the Best Western Oceanside on four occasions, in conjunction with cruises. We like to arrive a day prior to sailing and spend a quiet evening on the beach before embarkation. We find this motel adequate and convenient for that purpose.

The facility is not actually on the beach, but exit the front entrance, turn right on the pavement, walk 100 yards and turn right again, and you're there. The facility is clean and well-maintained. The desk staff are friendly and responsive. We have found it to be quiet, even when fully occupied. Wi-fi worked well, but you'll have to obtain log-in codes from the desk. Prices vary widely, depending on the season. The free breakfast buffet is quite nice, with a good selection of both hot and cold items.
It's not the best hotel bargain we've encountered , but it's reasonable for its location. We'll probably stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a week in Jan 2010 and have just returned from another week's stay. This is all im going to say....

1) Cleaning staff: When you are doing your rounds in the morning, try not to scream and shout at each other as if you are both deaf, this is a hotel and there are guests sleeping - WE ARE ON HOLIDAY!!!

2) Free internet: Unless you are sitting around the pool or in the bar, forget it, there is no signal and it frequently cuts out, absolutely useless.

3) Free breakfast: This is good, everything you need.

4) Dont book a room with a balcony, you will end up with the worst side view of the Sheraton next door, its like looking onto a prison and the room is dark and dreary. Just ask for a pool facing room, or like I had last year one that overlooks the rear (onto the Sheraton's pool)

Overall, a good location, right on the beach and an easy 5/10 minute walk to bars and restaurants and the water taxi is just across the road.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple