“Needs TLC”

Ranked #21 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Pleasanton, California
“Needs TLC”
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We stayed at the Ocean Manor #1016- April 3rd- to 8th, 2010. I decided to go with a private owner through "Home Away" hoping that the condo would be in better shape.
PROS- amazing views from the 10th floor, lots of space with full kitchen, fairly clean. The lobby, pool and beach were well worth the stay along with the Tiki Bar, wave runners and location to the pier for food and ice cream.
CONS- needs general maintenance, and TLC- I understand that "Spring Breakers" come in and trash the place- but the next tenants shouldn't have to pay for that- The shower head in the main bathroom shot out 4 spurts of water- need new shower head- probably 10 bucks for a cheap one- the tub did not drain- the toilet ran all night- the bedding and couch smelt rotten, the ice dispenser did not work and in general, the place needed a coat of paint, holes needed patching and please fix the front door to keep people from slamming it shut. We were looking for the" amazing balcony "that was stated in the advertisement and that was the biggest disappointment- the "balcony" was once opened but now a closed room in the second bedroom, the sliding doors are still attached but it is far from being a balcony to enjoy the 10th floor view. This place gets crappy reviews but they have no problem filling the place up at Spring Break.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
lifeadventure87
Reviewed 7 April 2010

I had planned to stay here over the weekend and made my reservation online. I then called in to request a renovated room and was told to call back the next day once my reservation had gone through the system. I called back and spoke with a very rude front desk man who just transfered me to the manager without any warning. I was polite and in describing my situation to the manager and he gets an attitude and says that it is not his problem and then hangs up on me. I then had to jump through hoops to get my reservation cancelled and not a single person was polite or showed any sign of caring about the reputation of their hotel.

If the service was this horrible over the phone, I would never in a million years think of actually staying there!! Run the other direction! The website portrays this nice resort, but staff at a real resort takes pride in customer service, unlike the Ocean Manor 'Resort'.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank lifeadventure87

Travellers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

Reviewed 24 March 2010

I have never posted a comment before but felt compelled to after staying at this dive. It was without question the worst place I have ever stayed. Our first clue should have come from the elevator which was the smallest I had ever seen, There were4 of us in our group & we had to take a seperate elevator up because we all could not fit with our luggage. The exterior of the door looked as though it had been kicked in, the bathroom door was broke so it would not even shut all the way. There was no housekeeping to speak of & we had 2 towels, for 4 people. I asked the front desk, they impatiently told me they would bring some up, but to no avail. The next morning when I went back down to the desk to ask for 4 towels they said they would bring some up. But again, only 2 towels for 2 days with 4 people. we did not even get clean "fresh" towels as they have no housekeeping. They do not allow you to sit on the chairs they set up on the beach, even when you are staying at their property. All other hotels on the beach would "rake" the sand in the morning, this is the only hotel that did not do that. They charge for valet parking, & expect tips. I also do not recommend their tiki bar. We ate there & although the food was average/good, it cost $9.00 for a grilled cheese for my 5 year old. Last but not least, the patio doors have no locks on them & there safes do not work. besides it being filthy, rude service, everything broken & unkept, the location is the only thing this place has going for it. There are other hotles that take care & are less expensive. To say this place is terrible, is being far to kind.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Ambie609
Louisville
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Hotel staff was rude to everyone in the hotel. Were not helpful at all. The bathroom door didn't even close all the way. I booked a room with a full kitchen and did not receive it... even had to pay the price of the efficiency even though I stayed in a double room. I wouldn't even recommend going to Fort Lauderdale, the surrounding community does not appreciate tourists at all even though we support their economy.

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 22 March 2010

My friends and I went here for our first college spring break. Considering this, I did not expect much but i expected a somewhat decent hotel based on the pictures provided on the website. Ocean Manor is by far the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed at. The service was terrible. At one point during the stay a maid told my friend to go down to the basement and retrieve her own towels. Another time they tried to charge us for room service for them. Anytime the hotel did provide towels for us it took at least an hour for them to be delivered. All of the rooms here are different because some are privately owned but it's a luck of the draw which one you get. The majority of the rooms are outdated and disgusting. The carpet in our room was coming up and had stains all over. The wood floor and ceilings in our friend's room were rotting away. The room was filled with mold and bugs. The people at the front desk were extremely rude and security was not much better.

At the beginning of the week the hotel told us that they could not authorize our credit cards. We thought this was strange but they told us we could pay in cash and put down a three hundred dollar deposit instead. Due to the craziness and commotion going on at the front desk when we check in we decided to just pay in cash. We payed a brown haired girl and got checked in. Everything was fine..until we went to leave at the end of the week. The man at the front desk told us we had a balance of $1,127 and that we had not yet payed for our room. We explained to him that we did and he argued with us, in very poor English. I asked to speak to the manager and he would not allow me to. After we left we called back to speak with the manager. The hotel manager was just as rude as the first man we spoke to. He used foul language and informed us that he was issuing a warrant for our arrest. Considering our friend's dad is a prestigious lawyer we laughed at him and told him that was fine. The girl that accepted our money the first day most likely pocketed it. Talk about a classy hotel. I would never recommend this place to anyone, quite obviously.

1 Thank knjoseph
Colorado
Reviewed 21 March 2010

This had to be the worst place I have ever stayed....Accoriding to their website EVERY room has been renovated....NOT. They put us in a room that was so filthy, There were no towels or washcloths, called 3 times to get some, while we were out they delivered 2 very worn and thin towels (no washcloths). I complained to a manager the next day he said vedry rudely he would upgrade our room or we could check out....We had a wedding to go at this hotel and no way to get another room so we took the upgrade to a suite. Room was not cleaned yet so we went down and swam, came back they were just cleaning the room (if you can call it cleaning) They left us 3 towels and 1 washcloth. No blanket or bedspread on the bed. at 1:30 in the morning we still did not have a blanket and my husband had to go to front desk and get us one..... This place is a giant crap hole......

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed 21 March 2010

BAD hotel! Didn't even have a door to our bathroom we had a sliding piece of crap that barely closed all the way. TV wouldn't turn off unless you actually unplugged it. Room Service came several times at 8 in the morning when everyone was asleep, and they never came back when we told them to. Never had our room cleaned once and even after complaining personally to the front desk to get more towels, we didn't have towels for THREE days! Security there was annoying, yelling at people that were yelling at their friends from the balcony "Would you shut up!" what kind of place treats their guests that way? All the food there is insanely expensive too. Do not go here.