“Hotel H E L L!!!!!!!!!”

Ocean Manor Beach Resort Hotel
Ranked #24 of 131 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 6 March 2011

TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!! The "thumbs down" reviews are all 100% true! We stayed here for a wedding and everyoneeeeeeeeeee complained and said the same thing!

Where do we start???? When you first walk in, you can tell the hotel has not been updated or taken care of for years! The lobby, which is the first thing you see, was the first sign that this place was a MAJOR DUMP!

Then, we went to our room...which was in between the linen closet, a fire exit, and the TRASHROOM! Our door wouldn't lock, the tiles were broken, and the light switches wouldn't turn on any lights! The drawer, where we finally found a blow dryer, was filled with someone's hair. GROSS! The next thing we saw when we walked in, was the 2nd bed in the dining room underneath a chandelier and next to a taped up full-wall mirror. The room had no 2 towels (for 4 people) that were paper thing and toddler-sized. The bathroom was DEPLORABLE, DISGUSTING, AND DIRTY. There was permanent YELLOW TOILET WATER our entire trip. You felt even dirtier AFTER taking a shower. We didn't even want to close the shower curtain (and when you did, it was pitch black)!!!! The deck had 3 mismatched chairs, 2 of which were indoor chairs placed outside, and the deck was filled with cigarette butts upon arrival (and never cleaned up)! There was no cover on the deck porch light.

When we did get to lay out by the pool, 6 out of 10 of the lounge chairs were BROKEN. Trees and pots were laying on their sides all around us. Then, THE POOL WAS CLOSED on Saturday "due to a private event!" So, we couldn't use the pool (which was pretty nasty anyway) or lay out around the pool for 50% of our trip. It would've been nice, but instead we paid $5 for a thin, toddler-sized beach towel and chair to lay out on the beach (you did get your $5 back from the towel, but shouldn't everything have been included in the price for staying in this dump in the first place?!)

The Tiki Bar was cool....we liked the tempura chicken fingers and the fried Mahi Mahi strips. Also, if you like margaritas...they were $11 each! We also bought 6 shots for $66. Ridiculously priced!

The Tokyo bar was a suhsi bar, but we have never been in a sushi restaurant/club that stunk like rotten fish so TERRIBLY! Nauseating really!

The clientele at the resort were unfriendly, unwilling to help, and rude! Maybe that's because they have read all of these "terrible" reviews about their place of employment?!

If you stay here....good luck! You won't feel clean again til you get home and shower!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank AvidTraveler2121
Write a ReviewReviews (2,190)

Reviewed 6 March 2011

This place is NOTHING like it looks like online. It's a drunken brothel!! Night club open until 3 a.m. with half-naked women coming and going. It's notbetter than a sleezy, rent-by-the hour motel. We saw the front desk clerk renting the rooms by the hour!! DON'T BOOK HERE!! Our room was "hand-picked" by the manager; it was disgusting. Mirrors were cracked, clock was broken and pleather couch was sticky!! We had 2 young kids and our room was right above the night club. Only spent an hour in the room looking for another hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jlo40
Reviewed 3 March 2011

I found a good rate on booking.com. Then I saw the reviews. I decided to call the hotel directly and ask them about the property. The front desk gentleman was very nice and said that some rooms had not been renovated. He agreed to ensure that I was in a renovated room. The best thing was that they allow well behaved pets at no charge! Typically when traveling with pets you either stay at 5 star or very basic properties and usually charged a pet fee from $25 to $100! Ocean Man did not charge a fee. I was very happy with that.

So I arrived and check-in was just fine. Booking.com did say parking was free but they only offered $7 valet. Not a huge deal but a little upseting. I was "upgraded" to an ocean view renovated room. At this point I was pretty happy with the property. The lobby was modern meets 30's chic. Not too bad.

Now the room - It reminded me of a do-it-yourself renovation by a subpar contractor. The room needed major help. It had been renovated but it had been a while and was not done well. There were laminate hardwood-looking floors. I liked this at first glance but the sections were separating and coming apart. The desk had a broken leg. Both beds were broken at the base. I mean you could sit on them just not at the foot of the bed or you would get tossed off. The room did have a fridge and microwave. That was nice. The drapes were not fully attached. After seeing bugs in the bathroom I did a FULL inspection of the bed and mattress but NO BUGS there. The lines were clean looking.

Balcony was decent, just very sandy and the walls had all sorts of splashed goodies on them. They needed a good scrubbing.

The bathroom - oh where to start. It wasn't horrible but needed help. The shower-head was ok just needed cleaning. The bathtub spout was a good few inches from the wall with an open hole. The plug of the tub was a little frightful. And if you left the light off it was fun to flip the switch and watch the bugs scatter. I guess they were baby roaches or something. Not infested, maybe a half dozen or so.

The view- PERFECT! Just lovely. The pool area was very nice too!

So in closing I'd say although the beds were clean the room didn't feel clean. Sand was on the floors and the bathroom needed to be fixed. It felt dirty. Not filthy just dirty. Location was good and the pool/beach view nice.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RussellKP
Reviewed 1 March 2011

The website makes this place look like the ideal beach hotel...don't be fooled. this hotel is absolute crap. First the elevator. I got stuck on it and the doors wouldn't close and despite pushing alarm buttons for about five minutes, NO ONE from the hotel came. I got out eventually. Looking for ice, i found out the only ice is the one shared by the outdoor tiki bar and in a basement that was pretty gross. glad i ate first before is saw the kitchen.

My room was old the mattress sagged and the only light was above the bed and you couldn't turn it off from the bed, no nightstand table lamps there. My remote control only worked if i was standing up in front of the TV. In the shower, i got two thin frayed old towels, I get better towels at my gym. On day one i had a shower mat and i never got one the other two days. My door didn't lock, the top lock, the one that prevents the door from being completely opened worked, but the bottom lock was broken.

Overall, the hotel is run down, looks like it hasn't had a renovation in YEARS. It looks dirty everywhere and just about everything should be replaced.

However, great fun outdoor tiki bar and a great location right on the beach. It's too bad, this is in a nice area, Lauderdale by the Sea but this hotel itself is just horrible

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank captaindavebklyn
Reviewed 24 February 2011

just wanted to say thanks the the staff and manager for such a pleasant stay....weather was awesome .and breakfast on the beach every morning was super!!!..great tiki bar..best we have ever been to ...wait staff were sooo friendly!!!...gentleman who handled the towels and chairs has one great personality!...if you dont stay here.. you wont know what your missing....beach ,,tiki bar restaurant,pool,..and fingers reach......thanks again everyone!!!!!

Reviewed 24 February 2011

We stayed at the Ocean Manor Hotel as part of a cruise/timeshare promotion. The room we had was NOTHING like the pictures on the website. The 'hardwood floor' was peeling where the air conditioner dripped. The hair dryer in the bathroom did not work. The fridge was not working but the extra one they put on top of the broken one did work! We had no wash cloths or bath mat in the bathroom. We had a bottle of shampoo but nothing else! The lock on the door was not there anymore and the holes where it had been were all rusted. It advertises that there is free high speed internet in each room but I had none! The kitchenette was just nasty. The burners on the stove had foil in the pans - just tacky for a hotel. The cleaning staff that we saw was very nice and the valet parking guys were nice too but that is the only nice think I can find to say about the place. I read other reviews before I went there but thought that the hotel had been redone when I looked at the website. I should have listened to others! Don't stay there!!!

2  Thank mahtal
Reviewed 7 February 2011

The hotel was part of a package deal given to us by a website with air transportation included.
When we arrived we asked the seemingly uninterested front desk guy if our room had an ocean view as promised, and he said that it had a side ocean view. Meaning if you popped your head out and looked to the left you could see the ocean, no biggie though it seemed the front desk guy was fielding many angry complaints was ready to spar. When we walked into the room after walking through a dingy corridor more commonly associated with by the hour motels than beach resorts. We entered th tiny room and found that had two beds, I immediately called down and spoke with the front desk lady who said that they can not guarantee a single queen bed and that they never do. After my girl friend sweet talked her and the front desk lady confided in her that she gets a lot of complaints they moved us to a room facing the the front with two beds, although the the room and the beds were much larger.

Overall to me it seems that this hotels has residents that live there year round, since our first room was a joined to another room , that looking into it through the common balcony looked like an old woman's apartment, she even had a loud barking dog. It's an OK hotel that is very close to the beach and has an excellent sushi restaurant in the lobby. The Tiki bar is OK and it's about 10 dollars in cab fare from the main strip. Speaking of cabs,
when they p/u from the air port , they charged us about 10 dollars more then the taxi cab charged us on the way back. So stick to cabs and stay away from their Lexus "shuttles", unless you must.