“Location for a great price.”

Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort
Ranked #59 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Chicago
“Location for a great price.”
Reviewed 29 April 2011

was looking for a last minute Spring Break vacation for myself and my 3 boys ages 10,12,15. Found some last minute very inexpensive airfare on Spirit to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and was looking for a place to stay. My number one priority was price and number two was beach. Ocean Sky Resort met both of these criteria. We received a great rate and the hotel was right on the water. The pool deck had ample lounge chair and although the hotel was full, there were plenty of empty ones. You could rent little chair cabanas with covers right on the deck. However, I am a beach person, so I wanted to be on the sand. Just a few steps down and there I was. For $5 a day you can rent a lounge chair on the beach. Add another $10 if you need an umbrella. The water was great and the kids had a blast playing in the waves. When they got tired of the waves, they played water polo in the pool. Towels are available on the deck. You can also rent jet skis and do a banana boat ride right there at the hotel. We walked about 1 mile north (on the beach) to the pier at Ft. Lauderdale on the Sea. There were plenty of places to eat and shop. My kids loved BurgerFi, which I must say had great burgers, fries and onion rings. Nothing low cal on the menu. We also had ice cream at Kilwins and it was amazing. They also sell candy, fudge and nic nacs. You can go to Wings either by the hotel or by the pier and purchase a boogie board or anything else you might need for the beach.

The rooms at the hotel were basic with a fridge and microwave. Most importantly they were clean. They all have balconies but with the way the hotel is situated,none of them are true ocean front. Didn't matter to us, because we just slept there. We frequented the McDonalds and Dunkin' Donuts which were a 2 minute walk for breakfast. Also within this 2 minute walk were the Winn Dixie and a CVS.

The Ft. Lauderdale strip is about 10 minutes away. I would suggest if you stay at this hotel that you have a car. Parking is $10 a night. Lots to do and eat on the strip but more crowded. An hour away is Miami. Really enjoyed a day at South Beach but would prefer to go back without kids. Some topless bathing going on.

I had some minor requests from the hotel, like the shower head was spraying all over and I needed more pillows. I would say both of these requests were answered within 10 minutes. The concierge was also very helpful. If you are not picky about having a fancy room but want a fabulous location at a great price with good service, Ocean Sky Resort is your best bet.

1 Thank gullygroup5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 April 2011

I was nervous to stay at this hotel because of the negative reviews but the price really couldn't be beat for the location right on the beach. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to list the pros and cons of the experience.

Room Pros: Yes the rooms are old, but ours was very clean! The bathroom was clean and seemed to be recently updated. No problems with water heat or water pressure or anything like that. The air conditioner is VERY loud. I am listing this as a pro for me because I like the noise when I sleep and it helped to block out noise from adjacent rooms. Balcony was fine we actually had quite a nice ocean view and enjoyed going out there each morning.

Room Cons: Could use some updating especially to the bed linens. They still use old polyester comforters which really did not feel good after a day in the sun. You could clearly hear people in the adjacent rooms which was annoying at times.

Location Pros: Location is great, in a quiet area right on the ocean. We were steps away from Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Winn Dixie, restaurants, and Wings (a huge reasonably priced beach store). I definitely recommend buying beach chairs and umbrellas there since they cost money to rent them at the hotel.

Location Cons: If you are looking to be in the downtown Las Olas Blvd area then I wouldn't stay here since it is not in walking distance. We were able to take a bus downtown for $2.00. A taxi will set you back around $15 with tip. The hotel didn't seem to advertise the local transit because they want you to take their shuttles but I would definitely recommend the buses.

Pool Area Pros: Pool area was awesome! The pool was clean and the water temp was perfect.
Pool Area Cons: There are cabanas around the pool with umbrellas and nice padded chairs that cost $35 a day. The price seemed ridiculous but we payed it so we could have some shade. Other than that there is not a lot of shade by the pool area. The tiki bar is nice but the food and drinks were ridiculously overpriced. We walked to a liquor store and mixed our own drinks. The food at the hotel is just mediocre.

Overall our experience at the hotel was really great. The staff was friendly, nice, and helpful. If you don't mind staying in an older room then I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on the ride side of the hotel, near the back
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank BeachLove44
Middletown, New York
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I just got back on April 21, 2011. The lobby was beautiful so my expectation for the rooms was good. Check-in was quick and efficient. No harrassment from anyone wanting to help with luggage. My room was on the second floor. OMG! Old is not the word. Musty old rooms. For some reason the carpeting just looks sticky in my opinion. I was so disappointed. After a while, I got used to the room, but their rooms really need some serious upgrading. Partial ocean view is crappy. We were right over the huge cooling system and it purred. The back doors are vulnerable as the balconies have no partitions, but I didn't feel unsafe. Nothing got stolen from my room. I didn't have a need for the safe. They need new mattresses, too, and they also need new towels in the bathrooms. Their towels are so old and rough that they scratch your skin. The restaurant is overpriced and the food is average. The restaurant staff gets overwhelmed easily and service is soooooo slow. Try to go out to dinner elsewhere. The cleaning staff does not clean. All they do is empty the trash and make the bed.

On the plus side, the lobby staff was great. Rizzo at the tiki bar really rocks. The location is excellent. The pool is great. Public transportation is very close by. McDonald's is close, Winn Dixie supermarket is close and Wings, the popular gift and beach items store is close by as well. Also, Dunkin Donuts and CVS are close by. Another plus is the coin operated laundry room. This was so helpful with all the wet clothes from the beach and the pool. $1.25 for soap, $2 to wash and $2 to dry. Another great thing is they keep your luggage after checkout at no cost (if you have a later flight).

Overall, it wasn't such a bad experience. I'd stay there again, as I didn't really spend much time in the room anyway.

1 Thank lalofra
va
Reviewed 22 April 2011

The hotel is located right on the beach, which is nice. It is impossible to sit on your balcony because the noise from the next door hotel is loud. Plus, you can hear the air conditioners running. Not much of an ocean view either. The room and halls are in need of a major renovation. I could see holes in the walls. The water pressure is terrible and the water does not get hot. I think for the price, it's not bad. We paid $77 a night for last week. You can always hang out next door at the Ocean Manor. If you fly, there is not many places to eat within walking distance. We spent an absurd amount of money in cabs. The airport shuttle costs $10 a person. I doubt we'll be back. I think we'll stay somewhere else next time. But, if you just want a room and a bed. go for it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Overall very happy with hotel, was very worried about negative reviews. Location was right on the beautiful clean sandy beach of Fort Lauderdale with the clear,warm ocean. Pool was outstanding, salinated and not too warm, perfect temperature on a hot day. Deck was great, lots of chairs. Bought my own chairs and umbrella from Costco as 2 chairs and an umbrella cost 20.00 to rent per day on the beach. Lobby was beautiful, staff helpful, restaurants in and outside appeared empty. Alot of great places to eat within driving distance. As noted by other travellers, everything upwards of the lobby is scary old. The hotel is obviously in need of major reno, starting with the hallways. Our room however was very clean with a renovated bathroom, balcony , although gave a partial view of ocean was not comfortable to sit on because of noise from all the air conditioners and our view was on the fourth floor looking south overlooking the lobby roof with noisy air conditioners. Our room A/C was noisy and maintenance came up right away and replaced it with an apparently new one. The Tiki bar next door at Ocean Manor was very fun and lively for happy hour. Overall I would recommend it, if you get a deal. I got a room with 2 double beds through hotwire for 98.00 per night USD and the regular rate starts at 179.00. I thought it was a great deal because we did look around and rooms on the beach are all in that range.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katy36
somerset, ky
Reviewed 7 April 2011

The pool area and the beach was great!!! The room was on the smaller size but I go South for the weather and beach so it was fine with me.

Croatia
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Have stayed over for 2 nights before going on cruise. I have no major complaints but in all, the hotel needs some quality refurbishment. Seems so old, and there is a strange smell everywhere. Door in my room were separating another room, and it was quite noisy as you could hear guests in other room even if they did not talk loud.
The area is ok, there are small shops nearby, Mcdonalds as well.
Staff - I can only compliment concierge service, they were great and in arranging my transportation from airport to hotel, and very friendly.
Reception staff seemed very busy and in rush, so not very polite or friendly. But the waiter at the restaurant near the pool....I don't know if that guy did not get his salary or what but that was horrible service! Have waited long time (and it wasn't busy), he came,with hands in his pockets, not even saying a word!!! It was quite expensive for a basic meal, but that service is completely unacceptable, I wonder if he has a supervisor at all..

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo