“Ok resort a few issues”

Ranked #55 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Providence, Rhode Island
“Ok resort a few issues”
Reviewed 23 May 2011

The hotel is nicely located on Galt Ocean Dr. Right on the beach. Hotels employees were excellent and accommodating. The first night there, I went to take a shower and the bathroom was dirty and my towels were dirty and looked used. I called the front desk and had them give me new ones and to clean the room. The hotel could be updated and rooms renivated or updated. The view from the room was good had a partial view of the ocean. The staff was polite and very accomidating with all of our needs. The hotel I feel is pricey and not worth the price.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank gjturco57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Hebrew first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 8 May 2011

This is my favorite Ft. Lauderdale hotel. Most Ft. Lauderdale hotels are not directly on the beach, but across the street. This is one of the very few directly on the beach. The deck and pool area is enormous with lots of luxurious deck chairs. The hotel is an easy walk to local convenience and grocery stores. There are some restaurants within easy walk, but most require a short car ride.

Suites have the best views, but are not worth the premium price. Similar views can be had from the most easterly regular rooms. By a wide margin, the rooms on the north side have a better view than the south. It is especially important on the south side to get a high room to avoid the din of the hotel's mechanical air handlers. You cannot reserve specific rooms in advance, but early arrivals have the option to pass on the room assigned to them in favor of a better choice which will become available later in the day.

Room Tip: See the text in the review.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank EGeorgeR
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Thank you so much for being such a loyal guest. We are grateful to have you and to be your favorite hotel in Fort Lauderdale.
We look forward to seeing you again.

All the best,
Paul Cahaly
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2011

First of all the location of the 'hotel' is excellent,,great access to the beach and 15 - 20 mins walk from some lovely bars and restaurants at Lauderdale on the Beach or Luccas in the other direction. Found the reception staff very sour faced and unfriendly and we are really happy travellers!! First room we had was OK - not clean and in desperate need of updating - not been touched since approx late 1970's? balcony is not a balcony is more like a walkway along the front of your rooms with no division from next door. Our first night consisted of having the 2 young men in the room next door keep us up until after 3am on the 'balcony' trying our 'balcony' door etc...we were moved the next day to a 'much better room' This room had exactly the same decor but had a beach view and also an interconecting door to the room next door...which was locked. On our last and 4th night the young men in the room next door opened the interconecting door out of curiosity and got into our room whilst I had just got out of the shower - I was very shaken. They were extremely apologetic but we then had a repeat of night one and they partied outside our window on the balcony until the early hours!!! Both rooms we were in had a real foisty smell that seemed to linger throughtout the hotel, we did not eat there or use the bar so cannot comment on those.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Joolsandlyla
Chicago
Reviewed 29 April 2011

was looking for a last minute Spring Break vacation for myself and my 3 boys ages 10,12,15. Found some last minute very inexpensive airfare on Spirit to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and was looking for a place to stay. My number one priority was price and number two was beach. Ocean Sky Resort met both of these criteria. We received a great rate and the hotel was right on the water. The pool deck had ample lounge chair and although the hotel was full, there were plenty of empty ones. You could rent little chair cabanas with covers right on the deck. However, I am a beach person, so I wanted to be on the sand. Just a few steps down and there I was. For $5 a day you can rent a lounge chair on the beach. Add another $10 if you need an umbrella. The water was great and the kids had a blast playing in the waves. When they got tired of the waves, they played water polo in the pool. Towels are available on the deck. You can also rent jet skis and do a banana boat ride right there at the hotel. We walked about 1 mile north (on the beach) to the pier at Ft. Lauderdale on the Sea. There were plenty of places to eat and shop. My kids loved BurgerFi, which I must say had great burgers, fries and onion rings. Nothing low cal on the menu. We also had ice cream at Kilwins and it was amazing. They also sell candy, fudge and nic nacs. You can go to Wings either by the hotel or by the pier and purchase a boogie board or anything else you might need for the beach.

The rooms at the hotel were basic with a fridge and microwave. Most importantly they were clean. They all have balconies but with the way the hotel is situated,none of them are true ocean front. Didn't matter to us, because we just slept there. We frequented the McDonalds and Dunkin' Donuts which were a 2 minute walk for breakfast. Also within this 2 minute walk were the Winn Dixie and a CVS.

The Ft. Lauderdale strip is about 10 minutes away. I would suggest if you stay at this hotel that you have a car. Parking is $10 a night. Lots to do and eat on the strip but more crowded. An hour away is Miami. Really enjoyed a day at South Beach but would prefer to go back without kids. Some topless bathing going on.

I had some minor requests from the hotel, like the shower head was spraying all over and I needed more pillows. I would say both of these requests were answered within 10 minutes. The concierge was also very helpful. If you are not picky about having a fancy room but want a fabulous location at a great price with good service, Ocean Sky Resort is your best bet.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gullygroup5
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 April 2011

I was nervous to stay at this hotel because of the negative reviews but the price really couldn't be beat for the location right on the beach. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to list the pros and cons of the experience.

Room Pros: Yes the rooms are old, but ours was very clean! The bathroom was clean and seemed to be recently updated. No problems with water heat or water pressure or anything like that. The air conditioner is VERY loud. I am listing this as a pro for me because I like the noise when I sleep and it helped to block out noise from adjacent rooms. Balcony was fine we actually had quite a nice ocean view and enjoyed going out there each morning.

Room Cons: Could use some updating especially to the bed linens. They still use old polyester comforters which really did not feel good after a day in the sun. You could clearly hear people in the adjacent rooms which was annoying at times.

Location Pros: Location is great, in a quiet area right on the ocean. We were steps away from Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, Winn Dixie, restaurants, and Wings (a huge reasonably priced beach store). I definitely recommend buying beach chairs and umbrellas there since they cost money to rent them at the hotel.

Location Cons: If you are looking to be in the downtown Las Olas Blvd area then I wouldn't stay here since it is not in walking distance. We were able to take a bus downtown for $2.00. A taxi will set you back around $15 with tip. The hotel didn't seem to advertise the local transit because they want you to take their shuttles but I would definitely recommend the buses.

Pool Area Pros: Pool area was awesome! The pool was clean and the water temp was perfect.
Pool Area Cons: There are cabanas around the pool with umbrellas and nice padded chairs that cost $35 a day. The price seemed ridiculous but we payed it so we could have some shade. Other than that there is not a lot of shade by the pool area. The tiki bar is nice but the food and drinks were ridiculously overpriced. We walked to a liquor store and mixed our own drinks. The food at the hotel is just mediocre.

Overall our experience at the hotel was really great. The staff was friendly, nice, and helpful. If you don't mind staying in an older room then I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on the ride side of the hotel, near the back
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank BeachLove44
Middletown, New York
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I just got back on April 21, 2011. The lobby was beautiful so my expectation for the rooms was good. Check-in was quick and efficient. No harrassment from anyone wanting to help with luggage. My room was on the second floor. OMG! Old is not the word. Musty old rooms. For some reason the carpeting just looks sticky in my opinion. I was so disappointed. After a while, I got used to the room, but their rooms really need some serious upgrading. Partial ocean view is crappy. We were right over the huge cooling system and it purred. The back doors are vulnerable as the balconies have no partitions, but I didn't feel unsafe. Nothing got stolen from my room. I didn't have a need for the safe. They need new mattresses, too, and they also need new towels in the bathrooms. Their towels are so old and rough that they scratch your skin. The restaurant is overpriced and the food is average. The restaurant staff gets overwhelmed easily and service is soooooo slow. Try to go out to dinner elsewhere. The cleaning staff does not clean. All they do is empty the trash and make the bed.

On the plus side, the lobby staff was great. Rizzo at the tiki bar really rocks. The location is excellent. The pool is great. Public transportation is very close by. McDonald's is close, Winn Dixie supermarket is close and Wings, the popular gift and beach items store is close by as well. Also, Dunkin Donuts and CVS are close by. Another plus is the coin operated laundry room. This was so helpful with all the wet clothes from the beach and the pool. $1.25 for soap, $2 to wash and $2 to dry. Another great thing is they keep your luggage after checkout at no cost (if you have a later flight).

Overall, it wasn't such a bad experience. I'd stay there again, as I didn't really spend much time in the room anyway.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lalofra
va
Reviewed 22 April 2011

The hotel is located right on the beach, which is nice. It is impossible to sit on your balcony because the noise from the next door hotel is loud. Plus, you can hear the air conditioners running. Not much of an ocean view either. The room and halls are in need of a major renovation. I could see holes in the walls. The water pressure is terrible and the water does not get hot. I think for the price, it's not bad. We paid $77 a night for last week. You can always hang out next door at the Ocean Manor. If you fly, there is not many places to eat within walking distance. We spent an absurd amount of money in cabs. The airport shuttle costs $10 a person. I doubt we'll be back. I think we'll stay somewhere else next time. But, if you just want a room and a bed. go for it.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends