My husband and I had been planning a trip to Fort Lauderdale for a few weeks and wanted to find a hotel that was close to the airport. After viewing several, we decided that we liked the location and beachfront access this property offered. Of course we checked Tripadvisor for reviews and decided to take the chance even after reading a few horrible experiences. My husband and I called on two separate occasions before booking asking what the fees associated with the hotel were and we were told that there was only a $10 per night parking fee. We decided to take the chance to book.
We decided to do some sight-seeing before checking in so even though our room was supposed to be ready by 3:00pm, we did not arrive until 9:45pm. Upon arrival, we were told that the parking lot was full and we would have to park in a parking lot around the corner (not something you want to hear when you are paying $10/night to park). At check-in, we were told by Blaga that there were only 2 rooms left with a partial view of the ocean so we picked one. Then we were surprised when she told us that there was a $25/night deposit even though we were told that the only fees/deposits on two separate occasions was for the parking. After bringing our luggage up to our room, we were surprised yet again to walk into what appeared to be an already occupied room (bed unmade, towels on the floor, binders on the table.) When we walked back downstairs to share this information, Blaga argued with us as if we were lying about what we saw instead of apologizing for the encounter. Another check-in attendant, Ivan, reluctantly helped us find another room, which was the last one they had left even though we pre-booked a partial ocean view. Already somewhat irritated, we walked to our new room and found within minutes that the TV was broken, but most importantly, the toilet did not work. Now extremely mad, we walked back downstairs to have neither Ivan nor Blaga offer an apology to either one of us. Ivan was extremely rude and pushy. Horrible customer service. Finally, the third NON-ocean view room was acceptable, even though a room was supposed to be ready by 3:00 and it was now 10:30pm.
The rooms are very plain/bland. Does not offer many amenities. Definitely in need of renovation and touchups. Definitely not what you would think would be typical of a nice beach resort at all. The lobby is beautiful but they forgot about the rooms.
The outside view helped to put us in better moods the next day. The best thing about the hotel is the beachfront property. It is absolutely beautiful and their pool deck is very nice. It is almost as if they put all their effort into the pool deck and beach area to help compensate for the horrible customer service and extremely run down rooms.
Overall, the experience was disappointing because of the horrible customer service and lackluster room. Other people have said that it is a beautiful resort run by incapable management who can not upkeep the hotel and we completely agree. If you are not looking to stay in your room at all and can deal with unhelpful, rude, and uncaring hotel staff and management, then you should consider staying here because the beach and pool are beautiful. The only friendly/helpful staff member in the entire place was the parking attendant. Maybe he should be promoted to management.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on the beach, Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort is perfectly situated minutes away from major attractions, restaurants and shopping. Rooms are equipped with mini-refrigerators, microwaves, hair-dryers, in room safes and coffee-makers. All standard rooms have a side-ocean view and open air balcony. Oceanfront view, 1 bedroom suites are also available. Our large pool deck features an oversized jacuzzi, heated pool, tiki bar and water sports. The resort also has an indoor/outdoor restaurant, fitness center, gift shop and mini golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Sky Hotel And Resort
- Ocean Sky Resort
- Ocean Sky Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Lauderdale Ramada