“good”

Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort
Ranked #61 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 24 June 2012

it smelled bad...badroom. pool is not clean, restorant is too much expensive for nothing. beach is nice and the location

Room Tip: you cant see the beach . a/c is correct
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

We have made significant efforts to improve the hotel as I have laid out in my previous comments. We will continue to do so and hope to see you again as my goal is for returning guests to see something new on every visit.

Thank you.
Paul Cahaly

Write a ReviewReviews (1,549)

Reviewed 20 June 2012

I personally found the hotel to bee a bit dirty and in need of better management. The tendency to rent hire outside vendors for parking is a cheap attempt to nickel and dime patrons while denying responsibility for your automobile. It is even worse for the pool area with cabanas being rented out at a rate that keeps them empty. There only attribute beach location is spoiled by yet another vendor renting jet skis which is dangerous because it is done in the same space that swimmers are using and the idle jet skis take up almost half of what beach front they have. I found the beds itchy, not sure why. The restaurant is not anything to visit. Stay somewhere else.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

Fantastic location right on the beach but that's about it. The room was ok. The bed sheets were disgusting. We found several Lon hairs which were neither of ours. Asked them to change them. Instead of changing them they plucked the hairs off the bed. As we were watching them we asked that they please change them. The balcony is a nice place to sit especially at night. Also the pool and patio area is beautiful. I don't think I'll be staying here again. Looks nice downstairs but wait untill you get where he rooms are.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank mrjingles88
Reviewed 14 June 2012

This is an old hotel that has potential, BUT... I am not as big on the bling in hotels, but the basics must function. My room has an amazing view and the staff are great. My main issue is the plumbing. The toilet runs for 5 minutes after it is flushed. The bathroom sink area is beautiful, but the sinks take forever to drain. About 2 inches of water sat in the sink over night and never drained.

Cosmetically, they used some bling here and there, but layering paint instead of fixing the peeling walls was obvious. Old carpet. I am not an extremely picky person, but being afraid to take a shower seems pretty basic.

Summary, if you want just the view and the beach, this place is great. But, it lacks basic necessities.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Krysse
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thank you for the review but I must point out that the room carpet was put in just one year ago. Also, no hotelier would say things will be perfect 100% of the time but it is how you rectify things so on a return visit if you see a maintenance issue such as plumbing please alert us and we will take care of the situation right away.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

This was our second trip to this hotel. This hotel is a filthy mess from top to bottom. Old, worn out and just dirty every where you look. We just stayed from 05/31/2012 thru 06/05/2012 and paid for 4 rooms. My wife and I were married here 4 years ago and I swear it has not been cleaned since then. They just do not clean and there is no excuse for filthy. The pool tile is black and on the day we left it was tape off with criminal tape and closed down. The one hot tub has slime all over the top of the water and I would not even put my feet in leave alone get in the filthy thing. The only thing they have is the view. The hotel next door. (The Ocean Manor) was on the show Hotel Impossible, this one needs to be the next one on the show. Now I want to be clear, the people in the hotel are nice, and helpful unless you speak English only and need help from house keeping. They do not speak English and they just stand there with that blank look on there faces. The tile floors are chipped, grout is black as coal and the rooms are wet, damp and outdated. The carpets and walls are filthy and have crap all over them. One room you could see daylight through the door leading to the patio. They had to completely replace one entire a/c due to it blowing up, this was discovered when we checked into the room. The restaurant is empty day and night and its no wonder why. The picture had a tear in it, the furniture is old and worn and the fly's and fly droppings in the windows of the restaurant are simply disgusting. The manger of the restaurant is lost and could care less about the place and the check in/out is just as clueless or simply does not care. The gym about killed us due to the tread on the treadmill not secured and properly working. I could go on and on and on, it did not matter where you looked, filth was every where. Save your money, the beach in Fort Lauderdale, Sunrise and Deerfield Beach are FREE. You can go and there is plenty of access so you do not need to settle for this filthy, old dump. They need to get a clue because the clock is running out on this dump.

Room Tip: Save your money you will get sick from the filth in the rooms.
5  Thank Misti Y
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Glad that you came back to us after a few years but I am very surprised that you claim the hotel is as you say considering that in just the last few years, we have changed all the carpet in the rooms, replaced all the tvs, changed all the soft goods in the rooms, put in new balcony railings and upgraded the fitness center just to name some of the things that we have done.
We take great pride in cleanliness of the hotel, pool and outdoor jacuzzi. I respecfully disagree with your comments completely.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

My husband, 4 teenagers and I had the best time at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort. We were upgraded to the suite at no additional charge. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean. Very nice hotel at a very reasonable price. Straight walk out to the ocean. We were late enough in the day when we sat on the beach that we never had to pay for our lounge chairs. The food at the resort was good but very price. Most places around are pretty pricey but if you want to go cheap a night or two there is a Great pizza place arcross the street by the Wings store that deliverd at a great price and a Chinese resteraunt right next door that is also very reasonalbe and has very good food. There were 6) of us so eating cheap is a trick. Our only negative is the Airboat tour that the hotel stressed that we take. It was a BIG WASTE of money. I'm not sure if any of the boats that went out that day seen any aligators, We did not. We did see an aligator show and our kids got to sit on one and that was neat but NOT for the money that we spent. I would not suggest taking a tour if you have to spend a lot of money. Other than that, we had a GREAT time and would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Corner suites have the BEST view and GREAT for a large family
2  Thank bobnpam
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thank you for the review. We are glad that you will be back and will be happy to see you again!

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Pleasent hotel all that you could need but why do they charge guests that have already paid - for the privilage of sitting on a sun lounger with shade? My husband has Altzheimers and needs to be kept comfortable and cannot sit in bright sunshine, we didn't spend a lot of time round the pool as we were visiting family. however did try to have a couple of hours to hang out near the pool one morning and were told that if we wanted to use a lounger with a attached parasol it would cost us $35 for the day - or we could use one on the beach for $7 per day(husband cannot walk on sandy beach) They did not have a parasole that could be used with the free loungers which were in full sun so we went to sit at the outside resturant/bar in the shade where we were made to feel vey uncomfortable because we were not buying anything ! Parking charges? do they expect guests to walk to and from the hotel - I know that Americans would sell their granmother for the right price but I was amazed at the pettiness their charges.

if you are going to use the laundry facilities be warned you have to really bang the money into the machine or it takes your cash and doesn't register, and if you dare to ask for your cash back Cecilia on reception will ask " you have come to see me because?" I did wonder why after, the manager Paul was far more helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank zambujal
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

We do have a few areas for shade for those that don't like the sun. Our only mandatory charge besides the room rate is parking if you have a car. Many other resorts directly on the beach charge extra for internet, resort fees etc but we do not do that. We hope to see you again.

Thank you.