“Great value for a beachfront hotel”

Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort
Ranked #63 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I don't understand why people complain about this hotel. I have stayed there 12 years out of the past 13. You won't find a better hotel on the beach, in a good neighborhood, within walking distance of anything you want for the price ANYWHERE in south Florida. I am a native Miamian, so I know a lot about S. Florida. There is no place else I would rather stay than Ocean Sky. Every other hotel with its' amenities, neighborhood, and on the beach is WAY more expensive. What do these other people expect for the price?? The one year I had complaints about the decor and the service, I talked to the manager (and gave him a list of complaints). He not only, fixed all of the problems, he sincerely apologized and greatly reduced the rate I had agreed to pay. Every year since then (at his request), I book directly through him (the MANAGER) and I get a great rate! Paul really impressed me! Also, for the man who complained that he thought something had been stolen from his room? THEY HAVE A SAFE in every room! I use it! I'm not crazy about paying for the valet service, but they are VERY nice and I know my car is in good hands! The front desk staff that was so rude to me that one stay is gone now. The complaints I had about paint peeling, balcony door sticking, etc., have all been fixed. Oh, and for those who complain about the balcony doors being hard to open? They are WOOD doors, ON THE BEACH! The humidity, salt air, and heat make the door stick! It happens on EVERY balcony door on the beach, if it is made of wood!! I love this hotel, and will continue to stay there every vacation for the rest of my life.

Room Tip: The whole hotel is non-smoking, so don't stay here if you expect to smoke. I snuck a few cigs o...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank psychrn65
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2012

Thank you personally for the nice comments and for your amazing loyalty to us. I am so glad to have you with us so long that you have seen all of our improvements and we look forward to seeing you for many more years.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

We took the grandkids for an overnight trip to Ft Lauderdale in July and stayed in one of their one-bedroom suites. The hotel was nice - modern & clean. The staff was courteous and professional. The pool & hot tub were large & also clean. We had a drink at the outdoor tiki bar ($$$), but didn't try the hotel restaurant. The location is great - right on the beach & plenty of restaurants & clubs within walking distance on A1A. Don't remember what we spent on the room, but it was reasonable. We'll stay there again when we're in Ft Lauderdale.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mike E

It is so nice of you to bring your grandchildren to the beach for vacation. We hope to have you enjoy it with them here for years to come. Thank you for the nice words. We really appreciate that.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

When we arrived ,last saturday ,front desk lady was Average same like normal hotel,,Great Location ,Bar So poor ,they need more activity on the pool site,the jacuzzi was broken ,water was really hot but the pump do not run,room clean and very confortable ,nice balconies ,one elevator not work,also the restaurant all time was empty ,we paid around 79.00 dollars plus tax and fees,in the future I would like to spend couple days on Ocean Sky & Resort,but they need to work in this issues ,Bar and restaurant need more creative and variety,and

Room Tip: Rooms with intercoastal view,727 and 725
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Carl T
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Thank you for staying with us. Very glad that you are interested in staying with us again.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

The hotel location is perfect! Right on the beach! The pool overlooks the ocean and there is access to the beach. The restaurant was good the first day we ate there, but on the second day, we ordered hamburgers and they were terrible!! They were frozen patties. They were so greasy! TERRIBLE!!! The service, however, was great! The room could have been cleaner...we found a bunch of hair in the sheets & in the bathroom. WE talked about the maid service wearing hair nets...that would really help!

Room Tip: The closer you get to the beach, the better, seeing as how the hotel is facing the side
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kriswalk

Thank you for the kind comments and we will look into those issues that you mentioned.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Just like my title says " Resort it's Not!". The Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort was more like a standard beachside motel. Rates fluctuated between $99 - $260 a night for the Labor Day weekend. My family spent the weekend and each one of our rooms although exactly the same had different rates. Item's which made this stay less than a Resort were the $12 a day Valet or Self-parking fee from an outside vendor even though they're set up at the properties entrance. Double lounge chairs AKA Cabanas rented for $40, once again from outside vendor that is actually on the "resorts" poolside property. They also rent waverunners and beach umbrellas at an additional charge. I've stayed at many resorts and from my experience a resort includes all of these onsite amenities and don't nickel and dime you for pool or beach lounge chairs. To me a cabana is a private/ semi private temporary or permanent free standing shade structure with curtains, decorative drapes and/or solid walls not a double lounge chairs with an umbrella so to charge $40 rental fee is so NOT a Resort thing to do. Another issue at this property was the lack of security. A fist fight started pool side in the early evening between drunk guests and I think they sent someone from the front desk. Smoking is not permitted in the rooms and they have a sign stating that if housekeeping finds a cigarette you'll be find $150 but I guess cannabis doesn't fall into that category as it was being smoked on my floor. Not a good thing when there's children. Lack of ice was another issue. Ice machines were only available on odd floors but you couldn't find any ice. All of the machines were always empty. Final issue was the Valet. Family members that checked in late paid the valet person cash yet at time of check-out they didn't remember taking the cash and quickly added it to the room. To avoid this add the valet fee to your room and DON'T PAY the Valet in CASH! Anyhow, if you decide to stay at this so called "Resort" just keep in mind of the nickel and diming you'll be faced with.

Room Tip: Ask for the southwest corner units that way you have a great sunset view and only share one wall wit...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JerzboyMiami

Room rates do fluctuate depending on when you book just like airlines pricing for example. Parking is a great value here especially for being right on the beach and the charge is always placed on the room which is relayed to our guests on check in. Parking and water sports and other outlets onsite at hotels are frequently concessions. I am also not aware of any resort that offers complimentary waverunners. We are a completely smoke free hotel. When we are busy on holiday weekends, the ice, despite being plentiful, tends to go fast.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I booked this hotel as it was my first time in Fort Lauderdale and it seemed to be close to a lot of things and was a decent price. While I had seen a number of bad reviews, I decided to try it out anyway, as I had stayed at other hotels that also had some bad reviews but had turned out to be fantastic. This hotel is anything but fantastic. The pictures are extremely misleading. I thought when they said "renovated" that it meant more than just a new coat of cheap paint. The balcony was renovated, but you couldnt see much from it anyway. The rooms were musty and smelled disgusting. The other guests at the hotel were obnoxious, rude, and careless. They would just throw piles of garbage outside their doors (which housekeeping left there for HOURS), not caring about the other guests around them. We stayed for 5 days and housekeeping did not clean our room once. They did change our towels and sheets though. The coffee maker and half of our outlets didnt work. The elevators NEVER worked and we had to wait at least 10 minutes every time. We had to use the service elevator almost every time as the 2 main elevators never seemed to be anywhere. And they were obviously in no rush to fix this, even though it was Labor Day weekend and the hotel was packed. I cant tell you how many times we were shoved into the service elevator with housekeeping and their dumpters full of garbage. It was absolutely disgusting and so unprofessional. They did have a beach elevator that took you directly down to the pool area, but half of the time that was out of service as well, with no notice on the doors or anything. They ask you not to walk through the main lobby to the main elevators with swimwear or wet/sandy clothes, but with the beach elevator out of service, I dont know how they expected us to get to our 8th floor room from the beach. The pool area was nice and the beach was decent. If the pool wasnt so full of loud, obnoxious, and disrespectful people, it would have been perfect. The beach in front of the hotel was small and crowded, and you couldnt go anywhere else close by because they were private/reserved beaches. One of the main reasons I chose this hotel was because it was directly on the beach, but I would have rather stayed somewhere else, even if I had to drive to the beach. We ended up driving to nicer beaches in the area anyway. This is one of the last places I would ever stay at again. There are plenty of other hotels on the beach that have everything that you would want/need in a hotel at a decent price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank C W

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations but I must clarify. Our hotel has been renovated as you have stated with new paint and new blue glass railings, new soft goods in the rooms, new artwork in each room, new carpets and LCD tvs. The reason one of our elevators was down was that we are totally renovating the insides of the elevators, with mirrors, new paneling and state of the art electronics. One of the elevators was done that weekend and just waiting for an inspection. I am not aware that our beach elevator was ever down as I saw many guests using the beach elevator that weekend. We clean the rooms daily but if you need more service, we are happy to accommodate. Also, I must add that we have tremendous clientele here and we are very happy that they stay with us.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

clean hotel, good location, very friendly staff. The only problem really and its very small is that you had to pay for your car parking, which was $12 per night.
Pool really good and rooms very clean.
overall good value for money for a family of 4

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank drfc76

Thank you for the compliments on our value, cleanliness and location. Please also note that our parking cost is one of the lowest of any hotel located on the beach in Ft Lauderdale. Hope to see you again at any time.

Many Thanks.