“Its on the beach!”

Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort
Ranked #64 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed at Ocean Sky with my mom, sister and niece for 5 nights starting March 16th. The hotel is nice, but its not a resort, it is a hotel. We has 2 rooms, one was to be a kitchenette but both rooms had same microwave, fridge and coffee pot. The beds were comfortable and the shower had really good water pressure! I think we pay for being on the beach, but its worth it! We were on the 9th floor and had rooms on both sides of the hotel. From both balconies, you could see the ocean, but from my room, we also had the sun! It was great being able to just leave the hotel and be right on the beach. I knew in advance that beach chairs rented for $5 daily so l wasnt discouraged. We just took our towels to the beach and that worked fine. I want to say the brochure says "heated pool" but l dont think the pool is heated.

We ate in the hotel on the 1st day as check in was updating their system so we had to wait tor egister into our rooms. This was inconvenient as what company would schedule a computer update in the middle of the day when they're busy!? We did not eat at the hotel again as it was pricey and the waitress didnt seem happy to be there. The coffee provided in the room was way better than the restaurant service!

You can walk around the area, there are grocery stores within distance, so we brought some groceries and ate breakfast in our rooms. We did get to a Denny's after a morning outing and it was great! Good food, good price, good waitress!

If you have a car, valet at a set rate was pricey but you gotta some where. I can only say it was convenient for going on day trips.

There was a wedding in the hotel while we were there, and while it was pretty, it was also a bit of an inconvenience as there were people all over and half the patio was cordoned off for the wedding. And then later, one of the elevators was broke (l believe it was from children playing around in the elevator) but it was repaired by morning.

In closing, with the exception of the 1st waitress we encountered, the rest of the staff were pleasant. The hotel is not the Ritz, but its clean and worth the money for the beach!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have sun all day! Rooms on the north side have shade.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Thank you for staying with us. Our pool is heated. We hope to have your families back with us.

Thank you.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

This is a small hotel in an area of hotels and condos. All rooms do not face the ocean (as is seen in the site's photo) and their advertised "ocean front" room is a room that has a window facing the ocean...not worth the extra $100 per night! If you do not have a car you will need to use public bus transportation if you want to go to downtown for shopping,restaurants,riverfront cruises, segway tour at the park, etc. Since the concierge had no info on the bus or the trolley (which was rarely in the area) we ventured out to find the bus stop. Thank goodness some people were waiting and told us to use bus #11...and it comes every 30 minutes. We used the bus to go to downtown and found the bus terminal to get a schedule. To get back to the Ocean Sky we took a taxi - $25!
Pros or Cons about Ocean Sky? You decide:
* no HD on the flatscreen TV - poor quality
* no complimentary coffee/tea (coffee machine was in room..no tea)
* no small tables by pool, chairs were very close together
* ocean was nice, steps away from pool
* wave runners for rent
* tiki bar outside by pool
* not much to see outside of the hotel area if you like to walk at night
* no restaurants nearby unless you walk a few blocks
Honestly, this is not a place for a couple without a car visiting Fort Lauderdale for the first time.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris3051

I appreciate your feedback. Just a few notes of feedback on your comments however. Our concierge tell guests all the time about the bus schedule. They have knowledge about it. We do provide complimentary coffee.

Please come back and see us in the future.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel for ten days. We were very happy with its location (on the beach and with food amenities close by) and it's services. The hotel grounds are clean and well maintained. We stayed on the third floor, room 317. The room is large and the beds are good. The rooms are cleaned every day impeccably. The only inconvenient is that the room has poor insulation so the noise from the neighbours can be heard through the walls ( this is why I gave four stars to my evaluation) Overall I have only nice things to say about our experience here and next time I will choose the same hotel for my stay in Fort Lauderdale.

Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel and the very kind words, especially concerning cleanliness. It would be our pleasure to have you back with us and I really appreciate that you mentioned that you would return here. We greatly value returning guests.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night, on our way to a cruise in March. It was in a beautiful location, the beach was gorgeous. The rest of it was very disappointing. I am sure it was a beautiful hotel 40 years ago, but is now very dated and in need of renovation. The room was very basic and not very clean, in need of repair , I was not sure the bed sheets were clean. We arrived at 9pm and went down to dinner. The restaurant was small, the carpets were filthy and service begruding. We asked for a drink at 10pm and were told that the bars close at 10pm. We were given a beer in a can, with a plastic cup and asked to take it to the room. It apparently was Spring break and the hotel was full of students, who came home at all hours of the morning. There were disgarded pizza boxes on the corridors, the carpets were filthy. From our balcony, we could see the a flat roof, which contained cigarette butts, empty cans and there was even a used tampon. We will be complaining to Virgin holidays for placing us in a hotel of this quality. I did not enjoy this experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

I am sorry that you were disappointed in your stay. We sincerely hope that you can give us another try in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I checked into room 708 on March 21st and checked out on the 23rd. it was a bit noisy next door (walls are all very thin at this hotel.) Asked for a change and was moved to Room 700 all the way at the very end of the hall which was much more quiet. Mark at the front desk was very professional and even came up to my room to assist. He moved me and it was no big deal.

The previous review is just junk. The guest spent all his time complaining how someone basically complimented his wife. If that is offensive then do not travel to any of the islands. I am female and I have no problem with a man complimenting me. Please..I am sure there were great things about this hotel that he could have mentioned but chose not too..Just goes to show you can't please them all.

Overall the staff were great especially enjoyed the younger valet guy they have in the mornings. Always smiled and always had something nice to say and nothing was ever a bother. The rooms and lobby area were immaculate. The entire hotel overall was very clean and well maintained.

Both rooms I was in were very recently renovated and had nice up to date white linens.. My sister in law from Canada who books hotels for executives all over Canada and the U.S. and who travels almost every other week herself commented that the resort was really nice and up to par with what she has come accustomed to.

I would have given it 5 stars if it were not for the fact that they charge $12 for parking per day and that they hold a $50 deposit which I wish they had mentioned when I called to confirm my booking.

Very nice stay though. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

I

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wisegirl38

Thank you for the review and your support. Thank you for the nice words on Mark, the valet service, the cleanliness, the linens and most importantly your desire to stay with us again. It is a pleasure to have valued return guests.

Many Thanks.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

Very inappropriate and disrespectful bar staff

Even though this hotel has a great location, it was very unfortunate to have one of the hotel bartenders hitting on my wife.
This event happened on Thursday March 21, 2013 at the bar by the pool.
Although my wife had a wedding band and a wedding ring on this guy still hit on her.
As soon as she got to the bar he started saying inappropriate things:
My wife asked if they had any frozen drinks. And the disrespectful manners started:
“For you, I can make anything you want”
“You have the most beautiful smile I have ever seen in a guest in 10 years I have been working here”
I don’t know if this is the way barmen should treat a client, not where I come from..

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

I never heard that about any of our employees. I sincerely apologize for that.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

Walked out after 10 minutes in this poor excuse for a three star hotel. Rooms were actually scary and hallways were worse. Will never use Priceline again! No one should pay more than $50/night for this place. If you don't care about safety, cleanliness or style, and just want to be on the beach, this is for you. I will say the valet staff was polite and didn't charge us the daily fee after we walked out.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nate L

It's hard to respond when you don't have any specifics. You are just relaying your opinions. I respect that but totally disagree with your assessments.