Before booking our stay at this hotel, we read through a lot of the other reviews on this site and took note of the many, many complaints. We decided that, for the good price we were getting, it was worth taking a chance. We're very glad we did. Here's our responses to the more prevalent complaints that we read:
Having to pay for chairs on the beach: When we went outside late morning, there were still PLENTY of deck chairs available in the pool deck area; when we wanted to stop sunning and jump in the ocean, we walked down the whole six steps to get there. If you're really that picky about whether your lying on a lounger beside on sand versus on concrete but still looking at the ocean and soaking up that Florida sun, then maybe it's worth the rental fee! But the deck area was lovely and still had a fantastic view, so we didn't feel there was any need to rent anything.
Bugs: We saw no bugs at all in our room or the hotel grounds whatsoever. It seems like this problem existed prior to the renovations.
Walls are thin: Okay, this one is true. You can hear the people next door, but we personally never discovered this to be a problem.
$15/day valet parking: Also true, but we didn't drive, so it wasn't a problem for us. A note for other non-drivers: The hotel does offer a shuttle to the airport. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I think it was $10 deposit and $25 on arrival at the airport, cash. And Ace, our driver, was the best!
Location to amenities: This hotel has so many great hidden gem restaurants nearby, I don't know where to begin. Head north to Lauderdale-by-the-Sea to Pa D's, where they have terrific (and well-priced) homemade Italian food. Head west to Flip Flop's on Sundays for $3 beer/wine/spirits during all-day happy hour (this is also where the water taxi picks up).
Friendliness of staff: I think all of the staff members we had interactions with were nice. The shuttle driver (Ace) in particular was wonderful, and the front desk was extremely warm and helpful. The housekeeping staff even gave us a friendly hello in the morning.
Slow Wifi: We definitely noticed a slow-down connecting to the wireless internet in our room. When we were on the balcony side of the room it was almost impossible to get a signal, but if you moved closer to the door, the signal improved. However, we were also on the far edge of the building, so that might be a more room-specific issue.
View: Our hotel room did overlook a parking lot if we did look straight out, yes. But we saw spectacular sunrises and sunsets if we turned our heads gently to the left :) No complaints about that view.
Beach Elevator: This was a great feature! No need to walk through the hotel in your bathing suit!
To sum up: When you need a room that will put you right on the beach, is in walking distance of lots of restaurants, and has some added perks like an in-room fridge and safe and nearby grocery store, this is a fantastic choice. This hotel is perfect for bringing you to the beach and close to the water taxi.
Last note: I can't recommend taking the water taxi enough. It travels along Fort Lauderdale's canals past the multi-million dollar homes and and mega-yachts, and takes you right to the Las Olas Blvd. shopping district in downtown Fort Lauderdale, as well as several other notable locations. The trip was wonderful and a real highlight for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on the beach, Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort is perfectly situated minutes away from major attractions, restaurants and shopping. Rooms are equipped with mini-refrigerators, microwaves, hair-dryers, in room safes and coffee-makers. All standard rooms have a side-ocean view and open air balcony. Oceanfront view, 1 bedroom suites are also available. Our large pool deck features an oversized jacuzzi, heated pool, tiki bar and water sports. The resort also has an indoor/outdoor restaurant, fitness center, gift shop and mini golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Sky Hotel And Resort
- Ocean Sky Resort
- Ocean Sky Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Lauderdale Ramada