“In the business”

Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort
Ranked #64 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I am the owner of a well know property management company located in Boston. I can not say enough about the friendly and more than helpful staff and the cleanliness of the property. It is convenient to all the attractions and it has no become part of the concrete condominium towers that now make up Fort Lauderdale. The beach is awesome and the pool is a great change up from the beach or for the kids. The staff at the water sports tiki hut is incredible. Some people expresssed that paying $15.00 per night for parking is expensive, Its a steal at that price, try going to other major cities and paying $50.00 per night. All the rooms have a view and the restaurant over looking the pool and ocean is an added bonus. I would stay again just because of the staff and the quality of the hotel. This price is well priced and has everything to offer and more. Job Well Done to the management and staff members.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Randy B
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

It's always great to hear such nice words, especially from someone in this industry. We are very thankful for the nice comments on friendliness and cleanliness. That means a tremendous amount to us and something we take great pride in. It is a pleasure to know that you will be back with us.

Thank you again and hope to meet you at one point.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

. Everyone from the front desk to the valet guy is always great. Hotel is really looking good with all the improvements being done. Have been coming at least once a year for the past 10 years. Everything you really need is in walking distance. Grand daughter wants to move to the Ocean Sky

Room Tip: South side higher up rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Don S
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Greatest compliment in the world that your granddaughter wants to move to Ocean Sky! Thank you so much for noticing the improvements over the years.

Thanks and Best,

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I was here for 10 days in April 2014 (this was my second week long stay - the first was in 2012). I booked the room on the hotel's website, and paid the advanced stay rate up front. It is not the cheapest hotel in the area, but it is the cheapest BEACHFRONT one. It is literally on the beach - you go down in the special beach elevator and voilà: a beach.

I had a king bed which was very comfortable and had lots of good pillows. The room was clean and very quiet. It had a fridge, microwave and free electronic safe. The airconditioner worked well, and while it might be a bit on the loud side, I liked the noise when I was sleeping. There is wifi internet, but I really only had decent connectivity when on the pool deck, or in the hotel lobby. In the room I was only able to connect 1 time out of 3, if that. The ice machines were on every second floor so if you don't want to walk to it, ask for a floor that has one.

The hotel seems to enforce their non-smoking rules, so nobody was smoking on their balconies around me. Though they do smoke just outside the main hotel entrance, so the lobby often smelled like cigarettes. The employees were always very friendly. I stopped into the gift shop but the prices were high (there is a Wings store across the street with the same stuff for less), and the staff a bit... err... snappy.

I spent 8 days lounging on the pool deck, and popping into the ocean periodically to cool off. The tiki bar has good drinks and service, but is pricey. I did not eat in the hotel as I was travelling with someone with Celiac and there was no gluten free options listed on the menu. There were tons of loungers available, so you didn't have to arrive early to get one. The pool towels are free, and there was never a shortage of them.

There is a MacDonald's, Dunkin Donuts, liquor store, and Winn-Dixie across the street. There is a CVS just a bit farther. Apparently there are lots of restaurants around, but I think they mean 'as long as you have a car'. I did not rent a car. I did, however, take the city bus to Galleria Mall (takes 10-15 mins and costs $1.75) and to Sawgrass Mills (takes over an hour - but bus 72 has free wifi on it). The buses supposedly have a schedule, but they were never on time. Not that it mattered, I was on vacation. If you do have a car, you will have to pay $15 a day for parking. Don't complain about it, that is the price.

All in all, it was exactly what I was looking for. It is not a 5 star, but then, you are not paying 5 star prices either. It is a good 3.5 star hotel with an unbeatable location. I will be back.

Room Tip: Ice machine on every second floor. Means those floors are a bit noiser, but then you don't have...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne G

Thank you for the review. We are very happy that you will be back with us for your next stay as well.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. We spent 2 days here pre-cruise and 3 days post cruise. The hotel is located right on the beach and there are several restuarants around to eat in. The pool area was great with lord of chairs and towels around with a good pool bar and restuarant.
The rooms were clean, but dated. The only negative thing that we found was it was hard to get more then 2 facecloths at a time in our room and there were 4 of us there. The hotel is a excellent value for the price we paid which was about $120 a night Canadian.

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for the great comments on our value and amenities. We are an excellent spot for pre and post cruises as we are close to the port and directly on the beach. Our pool deck for its size and views is one of the best in Ft Lauderdale.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Went here last may with my husband for our anniversary. Loved that it was right on the beach. The staff was friendly and the place was pretty clean. We had a balcony and the view of the ocean, so it was nice to wake up and look out into the blue water. The pool and hot tub is nice and clean. Like that theres a lot of chairs by the pool. If we come back to ft lauderdale we will stay here again deff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paulina s

Thank you for the nice comments on the friendly staff and cleanliness. We really pride ourselves on these two areas. Also, as you say, there are not too many hotels in Ft Lauderdale with our views from the rooms.
Best of all is the knowledge that you will definitely stay with us again.

Thank you.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay if you want to be close to the beach and close to the airport. Very clean and staff are very friendly. Rooms are great and access to the pool and beach are easy. Shopping right across the street. Seadoo rentals in front of the resort.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank 247tiara
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for the kind words. It is greatly appreciated.

Hope to see you again soon!!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We were staying in Ft. Lauderdale for the Tortuga Music Festival that was in town & the staff was very helpful when needed, for example, getting a taxi when needed. When I forgot a special item @ the hotel, I called them to see if they had found it & they did, I asked them to hold it for me if possible because I was a little over an hour away. I was not with my husband when I returned to hotel after a day coming home, a little over an hour away, they treated me with respect, which I was greatful for, I am only 5 foot tall, 135 lbs. Nothing damaged, nothing missing! Valet service was very nice! Hats to Mauricio!

Room Tip: Do your research & it pays off, loved the 9th floor!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jazzy1990

We are just as happy to find a lost item as our guests. Makes us feel great to find something thought lost. Mauricio is a great asset to us and we appreciate your kind words more than you know.
Heard it was a great festival. Hope to see you again next year for the show if not sooner!

Thank you.