“Mediocre”

London, United Kingdom
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2011

Hi,
A medium basic hotel... plus and minuses below.

Plus
- On the beach
- Coffee Facilities
- Microwave
- Supermarket nearby
- Spacious Rooms

Negatives
- Remote location, no restaurants nearby
- Hotel food left a lot to be desired. Overpriced, waiters didn't ask how I wanted eggs, forgot orders, tables dirty. Not attentitive, not what you expect in the USA. Didn't eat there after one meal.
- Cleanliness, good be better
- Drab and dated - needs updating considerably
- Balcony's intereconnect so you cannot leave door open

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Hovitez1979

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Hebrew first
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

After viewing multiple hotels and resorts in the area....I chose Ocean Sky for my July 4th family reunion. I could not have chosen a better location and resort. It was well worth the price. With the exception of a glitch at check in ( which was professionally rectified by the manager), our stay was beautiful and the staff was great! The restaurant staff was professional and the menu prices were quite reasonable! We also had an advantage of enjoying the most magnificent fire work display from the ocean.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

We came to this hotel in September of 2010. I had some issues with booking the hotel, I called and asked about the pricing I found from their website online, and was told by the front desk that because it was part of Labor Day weekend, I couldn't get the lower prices...I called back to speak with the manager, and he said whatever was listed on the website, when I booked my stay, is what I would have to pay. I read all sorts of reviews for this hotel, and upon checking in, I understood what people meant by the front desk attendants not being friendly at all. They acted like they couldn't believe they had to do work, didn't smile, didn't say hello, didn't welcome us to the hotel, (didn't thank us for staying when we checked out either), but anyway, i was REALLY worried about the room, we were on the third floor. The young girl activated our keys, and then told us we had to give a $200 deposit...which we were never told about beforehand. We went to the room, the keys didn't work. So we had to lug our luggage back down, and a different woman helped us, and gave us keys to a different room, right outside the elevators. We went in, and everything was just fine. It was clean, housekeeping was great, I didn't feel grossed out to sleep in the bed, the balcony is a little weird...ran into our next room neighbor in his robe...but we had a side view of the ocean, which was gorgeous. We didn't use the beach elevator, it was pretty questionable. We spent our time on the beach, and in the pool and hot tub. There were people there with three or four kids, that was annoying, I didn't really feel like they had much to offer kids there, and suggest if you have young kids to go somewhere else. They were under the impression that the hot tub was a kiddie pool... The Tiki bar bartenders are the nicest girls ever. They make the best margarita we have ever had in our life. Expensive, and a tip is included automatically, but well worth it. Their food was alright. Ocean Manor, next door, their chicken strips are amaaazzinngg. There is a Winn Dixie, Dunkin Donuts, and McDonalds within walking distance, there are bars and little restaurants a bit further down. The souvenir shop next to McDonalds is the only place to go for souvenir anything...SO cheap! We took cabs wherever we went. Didnt take a car, people drive CRAZY down there! We took a cab to the Galt Mile/Ocean Blvd on 1A, tons of people, lots of outdoor restaurants and bars, tons of people having a good time, tons of souvenir shops, but expensive. We also went to Hard Rock Casino in Hollywood, a bit of a cab drive, but worth it. Checking out, I knew, from reading other reviews, that we would be charged for the safe, so we used it whenever we went down to the beach. We were refunded our deposit right then. If you are looking for somewhere to simply relax, hang out on the beach, this is the spot for you. I'm sure I'll be returning soon enough.

Something else though, we could hear through the walls at times, and the people next to us slammed their door really hard, and that would wake me up.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

I am frequent traveler and often stay at moderate priced hotels. This hotel was "picked" through a travel website for a quick vacation and was extremely disappointing. True, it is on the beach, but this place has nothing else going for it. You better pray the weather allows you to use the beach, otherwise you will feel like a prisoner in this place. Never in my life have I felt more unwelcome in a "hospitality" environment. Staff is rude and unfriendly, nobody smiles. They must be oppressed workers. You will be nickel and dimed to death, including a $10 "refundable" charge for beach towels...but you check out the towel, and there is nobody around to return it later in the day. Room is old, crusty paint, musty smell, non-working fridge, broken door to outside shared balcony (used chair under doorknob for security). Creaky room floors are not level, carpet needs to be replaced, minimal furniture (how about a desk?), shower is disgusting. Hotel restaurant was completely empty for two days....open, just nobody to assist. And there are minimal restaurants or nightlife nearby to escape to and help dull the pain....just dozens of senior citizen residences. The whole place just felt shady, as other reviewers have stated. Upon checking out, I was looking forward to responding to the usual front desk question "how was your stay?", but they never asked. Why would they? Management realizes they will never have repeat customers.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank duffer21
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

The location Is nice, but the hotel itself is not good. The room smells like your in the public toilet. We had big problems with the hotel store, the prices there are 10 times more than in the store across the street so don't even go there. The staff is mean. They won't let you sit outside during the evening by the table, I just don't get why, you have to pay $10 for parking per day and the chairs by the ocean are also $5 a day. Over all the hotel policies are terrible. Wont go back. And would not recommend to a friend.

• Stayed January 2011
NewYork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

The Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort is a wonderful getaway. Right on the beach and next door to the Ocean Manor which has a tiki bar that is so alive at night! The food is great and service too. I am staying there again this April (2011) and cannot wait! Family and kid friendly. Not to mention every room has a balcony which is so amazing and the rooms are very clean! Cant wait for my next adventure at the Ocean Sky!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank STreviewer
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

We checked into this hotel after a week at a Disney resort in Orlando. The reception area is clean and tidy. Self parking is $10/day (normal for Fort Lauderdale), with only valet parking allowed near reception, you have to park across the road. The safe is compulsory @$1/day. The room smelt damp which they blamed on the air con. We complained to Virgin Holidays who quickly contacted the hotel who offered us a room without beach view and with the balcony overlooking workmen hammering and drilling on repairs to the adjacent building. We kept our original room. The pool area is good but the best sun spots are reserved for cabanas for hire @ $30/day. In December the sun disappears at 2.30pm behind the hotels by the pool and the beach. Beach chairs are $10/day. The noise from the refurbishment next door continued for most of the day. The rooms are in need of an update with everything looking dated and one of the beds broken. After 2 days we contacted Virgin again and within 2 hours they moved us to The Sheraton hotel which we can thoroughly recommend and different class.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Ripplewhite
Oceanskyhotel, General Manager at Ocean Sky Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 5 January 2011
We hope that you don't choose an alternative! I wanted to offer some clarification on a few of the comments mentioned. We did charge for the in room safe for $1 a day but as of January 1, 2011, this has been eliminated. Lounge chairs are only charged on the beach as all lounge chairs around the pool except for the cabanas are complimentary. We believe as I mentioned in another post that the rooms will all be fresh and clean as we just put in brand new carpeting in every room.

Thank you for reading my view.
Paul Cahaly