“Nightmare on the beach”

Ranked #101 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Orlando, Florida
“Nightmare on the beach”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My story is much longer than 200 characters but lets just say, not like pics online and staff agreed and said yea I need to remove those the rooms had flying ants on walls lamp etc. broken beds, so much frost in freezer no room for food, rude repair guy, nasty stained bedspread, not working TV with broken power button and no remote control, lamp that had no outlet to plug it into or even close by, sunk in and very old couch, phone that is not connected, broken bed and more!!! STAY AWAY from here. I checked out after checking in and had been room changed 2 times not including the first one where none of the keys worked. Dont say you were not warned. I have pics if you would like to see.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank PBR23
Andrew S, Manager at Florida Beach Hotels, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I apologize for your inconveniences and would like to see you come back for a better experience as the majority of our customers do have a pleasant time at our hotel.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Cape Coral
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Where do I start. I don't usually take the time to do this but if I can help one potential guest avoid this dump it's worth it. The girl at the front desk..Felicia..is a rude and disconcerning individual that should never be in the HOSPITALITY industry. She refused to call the maids to see if our "early check in requested room was ready as "the maids don't always pick up my signal and..they work from the back building to the front, we are understaffed and I can't have them make an exception". She also said that there was only one king non smoking room and we had to wait for that to be cleaned (finally got our room at 3:00 pm..nice early check in) which we found to be a lie as there are numerous ones. We also were supposed to be on a higher floor with a balcony looking out on the beach and ocean..we paid a premium for this type of room, but were put on the ground floor where we had to keep the door locked (the lock was stripped off and a cheap hinge lock replacing it. The glass door was so filthy I had a maid come back to clean it and she couldn't care less wiping months of sludge aound with a face cloth making oily z's as she swiped at it. I told her to leave, went out to our car and got our windex and paper towels and used the whole roll and half the bottle to clean it where we could partially see out. The bathroom was pathetic with serious rust on the floorboards, cracks in the calcking around the scummy tub and shower curtain, and old stains of previous guests who knows what EVERYWHERE! The beds were many years old with the worn and graying boxsprings protruding out from the worn bedsheets..JUST GROSS!! When I brought up the messed up houskeeping situation to the manager Andrew he blew me off with "I can't be micro-managing the housekeeping"..couldn't care less so don't get caught up in his supposed caring rebuttels to these reviews as it's just cheap lip service! The only redeaming entity in this Labor Day Weekend fiassco was the very pleasant Grace at the front desk that unfortunately is not the only one at the desk and should be the manager with her people skills that no one and I mean no one in this house of horrors has any idea of. We searched around to try and extricate ourselves from this scum pit but everyone was full by then. We stayed, keeping the filthy bedspread and covers away from our upper bodies and stuck it out. I have been in this industry for years, traveled all over and to many third world countries and have never experienced filth and non professionalism like this dump exposed us to. Please stay away, whatever the cost,as you will be treated to what many establishments up and down the street told us as we were begging them to take us in was the unfortunate norm that many guests that checked out of this pit to move to their hotels related to them. Finally a secret I discovered when demanding to know who owns this dump was that the BANK ,owns it and they are doing the bare minimum to keep it afloat although scrapping the whole property would serve the site better. I can still smell that dump..WARNING..don't give them your hard earned money no matter how cheap it is. We paid $100 a night for a slum room that was supposed to be their premium oceanfront room which my wife and I can still smell the horrid scent from that place. Heed our warning!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Skip T
Andrew S, Manager at Florida Beach Hotels, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Hello,

I would like to address a few of the issues you have described.

1. You were upset that a room was not available for early check in and you claim we did not make an attempt to get it ready for you. We were sold out the entire weekend for this past Labor Day which means there were many guests that stayed over and needed service for their rooms. I am sorry that you felt different, but at our hotel we make sure that the guests that are inhouse receive service first before an empty room is cleaned. On top of that I heard my front desk agent, Felicia, call the housekeeping numerous times to check on your room's status and also the Housekeeping Supervisor was on top of it as well. But again, we will make sure that all guests inhouse receive service first. Early check-in is a courtesy we extend, not a guarantee.

2. I remember speaking to you and I definitely did not blow you off. I am sorry if you felt this way. I explained to you everything that I mentioned in the previous paragraph. I will admit that I used the term that I do not micro-manage the housekeeping department, but that is due to them doing their job correctly. Again, our inhouse guests get serviced before we clean empty rooms.

3. You cannot pay for a floor level. I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion, but you can put a request for a higher floor but there is no way to pay for one.

4. The hotel is in a transition right now but that does not mean our business is not being run as normal. They are keeping up with all utilities with the hotel as well as purchases for every department. Our hotel is steadily improving.

I will not go into further detail but nonetheless I am sorry for your inconveniences. Our hotel had over 130 rooms sold for 4 nights this past Labor Day weekend and I am sorry that you were not as pleased as the majority of our customers.

Travellers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 23 August 2013

You definitely get what you pay for...when we first checked in the lobby smelled musty, but I just thought it was just the lobby so it wouldn't be a big deal. WRONG....the hallways smelled of mold and were dimly lit (I think so you couldn't see how dirty it really was) and when we opened the door to the room the smell of mold was overpowering. It was late and everyone just wanted to sleep, so we stayed. Big mistake, we barely slept all night, and we all felt horrible the next morning, we couldn't get the smell of mold out of our noses. We tried to take showers the next morning and there was no hot water. When I asked the front desk I was told we would have to wait for maintenance to come in. So we changed our plans and went to the beach. I walked back and asked for a late check out so we would have time to shower after the hot water was fixed and I was told we could stay for an extra hour, but after that we would have to pay for another day. When I went back to the room they fixed the hot water and there were dirty foot print all over the bathroom from the workers. Would never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim W
Andrew S, Manager at Florida Beach Hotels, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I am truly sorry to hear of your experience and want to ensure you that this is not the same result we expect at our hotel. We hope to see you stay again with us so that we may be able to prove this to you.

Parrish, Florida
Reviewed 19 August 2013

BEWARE .... The Internet makes this place out to be a resort I booked on line for my husbands birthday.....3 attempts to get into a room should have given it away ... We went into the room and it was extremely dirty with mold and dirt .. I tried to get our money back and complained and we were told OH WELL.. The toilet didn't even have a lid the hot water finally got Luke warm after 20 mins. . The motel is so old and not kept up online it states it's a beach resort .. You are showed a resturant and bar it's outback closed down with dirty and rusty tables and chairs. There was potato chips right outside the elevator that was there at checkin and still there 2 days later, the sliding glass door wasn't glass it had 2inches on each side open bugs could just fly in. They have 2 ice machines neither one worked . VERY DISAPOINTING IT WAS MY HUSBANDS BIRTHDAY AND SHOULD BE SPECIAL . I HAVE CALLED SEVERAL TIMES AND ASKED TO SPEAK TO MANAGER who doesn't exist! I feel I work hard for my money and was taken advantage of big time ...... You are charged a RESORT FEE at checkin what a joke! We stayed July 20- 22nd we should be returned our money back ! Very very disapointed...... Imma Floridian and love to keep revenue going to my state but this is a disgrace!

Room Tip: Make sure you read reviews!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank yeabebe77
Andrew S, Manager at Florida Beach Hotels, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Hello,

Thank you for writing your comments on Trip Advisor. I want to apologize on behalf of our hotel because I know that we are able to accomodate you so that you have a great experience. I am available at the hotel as I am here throughout the week. I look forward to hearing from you and hope that you come again and have a better time.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and I have stayed here every year for Thanksgiving for the past 13 years. His mother lives in the fancy high rise right next door, and this way we're close by without staying with her, and they let us borrow their cars so we don't have to rent one. I must admit, if there were a fancier hotel in the immediate area, I would prefer to stay some place nicer. It has a very "spring break" kind of vibe, even though it's never been loud or full of drunken students when we were there. To us, though, the location is more important than how fancy it is, so long as it's clean.
The hotel changed hands about 4 years ago and things have definitely improved since then. The room SEEMS kind of dirty when you go in, but I've gone in there with Lysol and paper towels and re-cleaned, and found that it was already clean - it's just salt air and age that makes it seem that way. All the little properties along that area are owned by the same company as the hotel, and are in buildings that are just as old, so we've never bothered to stay anywhere else on that strip.
The staff is nice, if a bit slow. Every three days, your keycard will stop working and you'll need to get it swiped at the front desk to reactivate it. I didn't think that the continental breakfast was very good at all - just juice and toast the time I went down there. However, the rooms we've stayed in always have a little refrigerator and a microwave.
Now, the best part: the location. Across North Ocean Blvd from the hotel, is a shopping center with a Publix grocery store, a drugstore, a couple of little restaurants, a nail salon, liquor store and Baskin Robbins. The little road that runs between the Main building and the Beach building is called El Mar, and it runs south, parallel to the beach, for about a mile. It's a great place to walk and has nice sidewalks. About 1/2 mile down on El Mar, it meets where Commercial Blvd. dead ends at the beach. Here there are several great restaurants, including an outdoor breakfast place, a beachside seafood restaurant (Aruba, with a live steel drum player), a pub, and others. We like one called 101 Ocean, which has a good late-night menu. There's an ice cream store, a fro-yo store, a couple of tourist shops. It's great to have all of this available within a short walk from the hotel, especially for those who plan on drinking.
We already have our reservations for Thanksgiving this year.

Room Tip: Request a room on floors 2, 3, or 4. Don't stay on the first floor. The Main building stays in...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anne F
Andrew S, Manager at Florida Beach Hotels, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to hear that you have had a pleasant time at our hotel in the past. I am also glad to hear that you see the fact that we are trying to better our facility so that guests such as yourself may have a better time. We look forward to seeing you again when you return.

Aalborg, Denmark
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed at the Lauderdale Beachside Hotel for three nights. Breakfast was decent, the room was decent, everything was clean and the room was well kept for. The personel at the lauderdale beachside hotel were all incedibly sweet, helpfull and welcoming. The hotel is not of high standard nor does it remiscint a luxury standard of living, but its a great deal for the price. We definately enjoyed it and were satisfied.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mortenwrdk
Andrew S, Manager at Florida Beach Hotels, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. It is nice to hear that you have had a decent stay with us and a pleasant trip. We hope to see you again in the future for another stay.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This was my experience from June 2013
My friend and I went to Ft. Lauderdale to watch our trainer's first pro MMA fight. We had a blast - and not just at the fight! The hotel had it all: the beach, the pool, a COLD A/C and wonderful staff from front desk to housekeeping! The breakfast is small, with cereal, bagels, fruit and coffee. This is was my first time to Ft. Lauderdale. The location was ideal, as it's about 15 mins to Las Olas Blvd/Downtown Ft. Lauderdale. Despite these negative reviews, I had a wonderful time and have made this hotel my getaway spot for future beach time vacations in South Florida....like the one I had in August...

Room Tip: Choose an "even" number room. The view is awesome (beach to the left, Ft. Lauderdale down...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Melissa C
Hello,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled to hear you had such a good time at our hotel and also at you MMA fight. We hope that someday we may see you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Lauderdale
#14 of 28 in Lauderdale by the Sea
Southern Seas
Southern Seas
#18 of 28 in Lauderdale by the Sea

Been to Florida Beach Hotels? Share your experiences!